Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with doing swaps (without the help of a guy like Homelite410) is that when you are using rim sprockets you have three different patterns (small spline, large spline, and Stihl small spline) plus the fact that Oregon normally only makes rim sprocket drums for pro saws. It can be maddening to find the right pattern bar with the right nose sprocket and then find the right pitch of rim that fits your drum. Maddening. Again if all of the mfgrs could have worked together it wouldn’t be an issue. Oh well.
300 Savage, 300 Blackout, 300 Win. Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 H&H

@svk or @James Miller , the Oregon site lists the 2300 bar as an A041 Mount, that’s the same as my 18” 400 bar. If I machine a picco rim to fit would my 400 bar work and be able to use the 400 chains? As I said, not a “Pro”, a rookie.
I wanted a 16" bar so the 2300 bar got the nod. The 400 bar will work also if you want an 18.

Thanks man. Found a 410 picco rim on EBay. All you did was bore it to fit the 490 shaft?
Yes @homlite410 got the rim and machined it to fit the echo small spline setup.

Got it covered, from left to right, 1950 250 Savage with Redfield 2-7. 1912 Savage 22HiPower with original 3X Malcolm scope. 1951 Savage 300 with 3.5X10 Leopold, and 1908 Ocatgonal barrel 303 Savage. So, who needs all of those other odd ball cartridges?
tRI9rEk.jpg

I wanted a 16" bar so the 2300 bar got the nod. The 400 bar will work also if you want an 18.

Yes @homlite410 got the rim and machined it to fit the echo small spline setup.
Homelite410 did a couple for me as well. I'm running them on my CS-346. Very nice work. They match the Oregon SM7 spline perfectly. The modified Stihl rims from him are a few $$ more than the "off the shelf" Oregon rims, but they're worth it.

I don't understand why Oregon doesn't make a 3/8LP rim. I've contacted them about it. The answer that I got was that their standard 3/8 rim is suitable for 3/8LP. In reality, they're kinda sorta not, but mostly OK-ish. I guess that in the saw size range where 3/8LP is used, they're OK. Once you get into larger power saws, they're no longer suitable - but then, with a 50cc+ saw, if you're running 3/8LP you're in a "non-standard" configuration. Chainsaw manufacturers (and those who sell after market items) seem to be in pu$$yville these days. The CS-490 came from the factory with a 0.325 drive. Sure, it has a rim and you can change the pitch, but you're not going to find anything "officially" available in anything other than 0.325.

It sounds as though some guys are using LP for milling now. Perhaps this will improve the availability of parts.

One thing I’ve wanted was to have on hand is a long bar in A041 Mount with skip chain (even if I had to make it myself) so I’m covered in the event that a big Norway or white pine falls across my 3.5 mile road. There are several 100+ yo monsters that are one wind storm away from blocking me in.

The tree service wood slowed down a bit to a couple pickup truck loads a week, which I'm more than happy with. I think I'm at about 18 truck loads since the beginning of July. Yesterday he text me the address of a new job he's on, just a few blocks from where I work on the edge of campus. I ran over there this morning, and he and his guys were still working. Watched them for a little bit, then they all came over and loaded the truck for me. I ran the load home, came back and they did it again. Great group of guys and we all talked awhile. There will a lot more wood at this one.

Scored an Amazon gift certificate last night so I ordered up the last parts I needed for my 55 Husky project saw that is going to be given to my uncle.

I’m thinking I’ll send it along with that 20”/70 DL Poulan branded bar I took off the 5020. He only has two species of trees around him; red oak and white oak. Muffler modded/base gasket delete 55 should pull a 20” loop fine.

After buying a new chain I should have about $80 into a completely freshened saw and almost enough parts to build another 55 for free.

woop woop!
Looks like I've bought a stunningly clean 2015 365, light firewood use by an old guy that found it too heavy, and saved myself a couple of hundred over the new price. seen photos and its stunningly clean, and I get a good gut feel from the seller so fingers crossed. Seller hasn't been pushy, sent good photos, sent me loads more photos after I noticed a difference to the cylinder externals compared to a mates....all good. Price agreed, money to be exchanged in 10 days as seller went on on holiday this morning
20180809_084038.jpeg.fdb47e7c95a3b376bf3cb8def7b4cf48.jpeg

So....that's one of the 2 transfer caps...hmm. when people say 'grind' the baffle, they mean 'dremmel' aka 'poor man's die grinder' the baffle. ;)
Nah, TBH, I won't touch it, no point for me.

seems arbtalk, the uk version of here, IS useful occasionally! its normally very slow with only a dozen or so users it seems. I'd been checking the makita recall thread/whing-a-thon, and said I'd ditched it in favour of getting a 365 from a local dealer, one of the regulars... the first and so far only guy to get his 7900 back (with a broken chain brake handle!!) offered this....I pm'd him and the rest is history. He's the second owner. got offered it by the old guy and had to say yes as it was a good deal, but with several other 60 and 70cc saws he's not run more than a few tanks and decided to pass it on to someone to use. I'm very pleased. :D I'm looking forward to a nice proper sprung saw....no rubber lumps....its gonna be smooooooth!

For my patients, 120° of bend is the pass mark. More than that is nice but not always possible. In any case, you had a dud PT. Waiting for the swelling to go down is a recipe for failure.

Rehab after replacement is simple (but yes, painful). There are only two exercises that you need to do post knee replacement. One is called 'bending' and the other is called 'straightening'. 10-12 reps of each every couple of hours and you need to push it hard enough to hurt. If it doesn't hurt, you're not stretching it. Ice it several times per day for 20+ mins to minimise the swelling. Avoid walking excessively or doing strengthening exercises in the early stages. Why? Because the knee will have a very limited exercise tolerance after the surgery and if you burn through it doing stuff that is not a priority then it will swell more and not respond as well to the stretching that is the key thing in the first few months. As long as you have enough strength to walk steadily, you don't need to work on leg strength. The thing is that regaining strength is not time-sensitive but regaining range of movement is. I normally suggest that people walk as they need to but not to go for a walk for the sake of it. Again, feel free to PM me.

Don't bother with the diuretics. Dehydrating yourself won't influence the swelling within a joint, whoever told you that it would doesn't know how these things work.

I sure wish diuretics would work for swelling lol , the good ankle (right side) has a circumference of 9 1/2" , the left is usually at 11 1/2" circumference at the same spot by the end of the day .
Pain and meds are just a daily part of life , it lets me know I'm alive every day Lol .
A lot of people that know me (and I know lots of people) don't even know about my struggles .
I legitimately can qualify for a handicap tag if I want but my struggles aren't that bad so I don't need it now , maybe someday down the road maybe ...
The reason I brought up the handicap parking thing is that some people get irate when they see a normal looking person get out of a car that has a handicap tag and walk into a store with all the appearance of being normal , a Doc has to sign off on that tag up here , plenty of paperwork involved so it's not just a scam to get a better parking spot .
But yes , there's polly plenty of scammers out there that have and will abuse the system .
Enough of that derail lol
On a scrounging note ...

20180809_181530_HDR.jpg

Looks like a good deal to me on barkless spruce , Kiln dried and no splitting required :)

I sure wish diuretics would work for swelling lol , the good ankle (right side) has a circumference of 9 1/2" , the left is usually at 11 1/2" circumference at the same spot by the end of the day .
Pain and meds are just a daily part of life , it lets me know I'm alive every day Lol .
A lot of people that know me (and I know lots of people) don't even know about my struggles .
I legitimately can qualify for a handicap tag if I want but my struggles aren't that bad so I don't need it now , maybe someday down the road maybe ...
The reason I brought up the handicap parking thing is that some people get irate when they see a normal looking person get out of a car that has a handicap tag and walk into a store with all the appearance of being normal , a Doc has to sign off on that tag up here , plenty of paperwork involved so it's not just a scam to get a better parking spot .
But yes , there's polly plenty of scammers out there that have and will abuse the system .
Enough of that derail lol
On a scrounging note ...

View attachment 667879

Looks like a good deal to me on barkless spruce , Kiln dried and no splitting required :)
What's that... $80 for a cord... it's cheap BTUs.

Back