Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking to getting my next saw. husqvarna 562 xp is up there on the list. But here is the hard part. I have a 1976 Chevy pick up I have had for years. It is a 4wd 4 speed that I put a built 454 into it. I plowed the drve with it for years. The 454 sure had lots of pull and made it fun. Rust in the cab is bad, couldn't get a sticker for it. It has been a lawn ornament for 10 years, not started up. I want to sell it to get a new saw. It has replacement fenders and hood that are not rusted and replacement doors in good condition. How do I know what to sell it for? How bad is a motor sitting for 10 years? Do I need to pull plugs and put PB Blast in it to spin it over? Or am I better leaving it alone and selling it as is?
A lady on my UPS route gave me a 73 Cutlass Supreme 350 4 barrel. It had sat for 14 years. I pulled the plugs one evening and shot some Marvel Mystery Oil in the plug holes. The next night I put the plugs back in, put a shot of gas in the carb and it fired right up. Had to do that 3-4 times till gas pumped up from the tank then it kept running. If it's locked up put an add on CraigsList for trade for the saw you want. If it starts up a 454 should be worth $400. I sold a Pontiac 455 with high mileage on it for $500. I just checked the Husky web site and a new 562XP lists for $740. If it runs with 4X4 you might get $750 for it. 4X4 parts hold their value pretty good. Good luck.

So how short can you go for cutters before the chain is dead? this isn't the shortest, as despite me making them more regular there is a little variation.

IMG_20180810_201723.jpg

On the plus side th chain was cutting with reasonable chips, perfectly straight and cleanly. it did judder/grab a wee bit, but not badly. this ws in cypress and sycamore, so nothing too hard. I then went at a few bits of dry dry dry ash...a few ugglies of wire ash I still had....so you know what happened...i got sharpening pratice, several times....and lost one cutter completely (well it was getting short)
IMG_20180810_201753.jpg
not very focused but that's the same tooth from the side, hook there it seems. yay

IMG_20180810_202412.jpg

that's out of focus too, but again hope you can see the hook is there. So....my sharpening is improving, it cuts ok, straight and throws fair chips....cuts quite quick, even in the old dry ash until you hit barbed wire...then despite being semi chisel its blunt instantly. it never looks too bad after hitting wire, honestly...but it doesn't cut. So lots of sharpening practice ws had. I think that chain is very nearly dead now, I'm assuming I'll just lose more cutters and once one or two more are gone, it's time to bin it?

So how short can you go for cutters before the chain is dead? this isn't the shortest, as despite me making them more regular there is a little variation.
Save it for cutting stuff that might have wire or nails in it.

View attachment 668029

On the plus side th chain was cutting with reasonable chips, perfectly straight and cleanly. it did judder/grab a wee bit, but not badly. this ws in cypress and sycamore, so nothing too hard. I then went at a few bits of dry dry dry ash...a few ugglies of wire ash I still had....so you know what happened...i got sharpening pratice, several times....and lost one cutter completely (well it was getting short)
View attachment 668030
not very focused but that's the same tooth from the side, hook there it seems. yay

View attachment 668032

that's out of focus too, but again hope you can see the hook is there. So....my sharpening is improving, it cuts ok, straight and throws fair chips....cuts quite quick, even in the old dry ash until you hit barbed wire...then despite being semi chisel its blunt instantly. it never looks too bad after hitting wire, honestly...but it doesn't cut. So lots of sharpening practice ws had. I think that chain is very nearly dead now, I'm assuming I'll just lose more cutters and once one or two more are gone, it's time to bin it?

View attachment 668029

View attachment 668030

View attachment 668032

When I get short cutters like that I throw them in a zip lock bag labeled “stump chains”, use them when I get a cut where I don’t want to damage a good chain.

View attachment 668029

View attachment 668030

View attachment 668032

If your not breaking cutters off it's still got plenty of life left. On O P E they would tell you the smaller the cutters the faster they cut.download-4.jpgpic I found on google.

So after all this filing talk, it occurred to me that last time I used the 460, it threw a lot of dust despite recently getting a few licks with the file. So I pulled it off the shelf and got the raker gauge out and holy cow! Took about 10 licks with that little Oregon flat file to get em down flush with the gauge. I wanted to try it out but it’s 30 degrees out and much cooler in the garage so another day.

So after all this filing talk, it occurred to me that last time I used the 460, it threw a lot of dust despite recently getting a few licks with the file. So I pulled it off the shelf and got the raker gauge out and holy cow! Took about 10 licks with that little Oregon flat file to get em down flush with the gauge. I wanted to try it out but it’s 30 degrees out and much cooler in the garage so another day.
You have no idea how many people have no idea that rakers are important too.

No kidding!
The local shop that I really like, does not do rakers when sharpening a chain. I used to wait till I had 10 chains to do, for my 14" Echo he charged $4 and the 18" Stihl he charged $4.50. Since my friend retired I don't know if they have hired anyone to work on saws and do chains.

Latest posts

Back