Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al-k
This is the rightest place as any , we all talk about our triumphs and some of our trying times , both are equally important and help us stay well rounded and learn more as we go .

When Clint started the thread ,

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.

I don't think that Clint thot it would involve , maple syrup , whiskey , some of our trials , troubles and bragging stories with all the other B'sing we've done .
It gave me a place to go to when I needed a distraction from what all of what I was going through and still am .
I look forward to read every post every day .
I hope you find a nice Minivan and put up pics the hard work you have to do to get to where you need to be .
I hope that makes sense .

Well I left the cabin at 8:30 this morning and didn’t get back until almost 8.

Walmart, Fleet Supply, my in-laws for lunch. Then to the house to work on my truck. One of the leaf spring shackle bolts had broken under previous owner. Picked up a new one from fleet only to find out it wasn’t the right one after I had cut the old one out. Father in law found one 40 miles away so he went to get that while I did other projects. Stopped to help him move some brush on the way back to the cabin as a thank you for running parts before heading up. So basically I ran all day but only accomplished a couple things.

I did muffler mods for both 5020 and 4218. Those 4218 mufflers are a bear to get the baffles out. I definitely won’t do things that way again.

The 5020 was very easy. Also found my splined tuning tool so I can get things right on it. It came from the factory too lean so I didn’t want to run it too much until I richened it up.

What do you guys do to ensure there are no metal shavings in your muffler after doing a mod? Wash it out? I’ve shaken all particulate out but still worry. I did chamber the new holes with a round file to make sure there aren’t any lose shavings that could fall off later.
I use a die grinder and grinding stones or an Emory paper whip to deburr all edges then I spray the heck out of it with brake cleaner then blow out with the air compressor at 100 lb. I do the brake cleaner air compressor routine 3 times. I use the brake cleaner for a fluid to carry off particles plus if it’s a used muffler it breaks down any deposits that may have trapped any metal particles.

Here they are. Removed the internal baffle on the 4218 and then hogged our the existing gills. I’ll try it with and without the factory deflector and if the deflector impacts performance I’ll clean these up to look nicer.

The 5020 just got the Swiss cheese treatment. Worst case it’s loud and crackly but I always wear ear muffs anyhow.

755ED724-1050-497A-BAF8-2F021CB5FACD.jpeg

It’s a little rough. Granted it’s going on a free Poulan lol.

I drilled out the corners of the gills and pried the inner section inward to open things up.
I don’t have torches so I did all 4 of my Makita mufflers with a long double cut 1/4 carbide burr from the back side of the muffler. Actually 5 mufflers, I got carried away on one and cut thru the bolt tube, so much for a non-leaking muffler. Learned not to get in a hurry, that stupid stunt cost me $90+ for a new muffler that still had to cut the baffle out of.:(

Latest posts

Back