Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the other day a friend I work with tells me he has a few ash trees that have died (ash borers) and he wants to know if I would be interested in them for firewood. So, I'm thinking 'hey why not....just stop by after work, drop'em, cut'em up, load'em in the truck bed and head for home in time for dinner. Then he tells me I need to stop in so he can show me where they are and so I can plan on how to get them cut and loaded. Okay, I guess, not sure its necessary, but okay. So, I run over to his house after work and he takes me out into the middle of a freshly mowed field. And what he shows me is quite amazing. Three very tall straight dead ash trees (still got a few green leaves here and there but 95% dead) that average about 36" diameter at the base and about 60-70 feet tall. WOW! So, there stands my entire winters wood supply.....out in an open flat field, no trees to snag, no power lines, no brush thickets....just wide open field. I can drive my truck and dump trailer right up to them. Then he tells me he will help me by bringing his crawler over to help me load it and he will burn all the brush later on.
I just may go buy a lottery ticket too!!!!

That always frustrated me. A charge leaves your account the second it’s approved but a refund takes several days....

ok tbf it seems i have been refunded in full, I had to chase them and it took a few days but I was worried this morning when my direct debit went to clear my credit card balance and i noticed it went in full, I was expecting it to be much less as the refunds should have already been applied. After 45 minutes to get through to the card provider (online banking....love it :nofunny:) they confirmed the refunds had appeared but would go on next months statement. Pff. At least i have had the refunds.....I'm just ot so flush in the bank account as i expected! Still enough to pay for the 365 in a few days time though :rock:

So, the other day a friend I work with tells me he has a few ash trees that have died (ash borers) and he wants to know if I would be interested in them for firewood. So, I'm thinking 'hey why not....just stop by after work, drop'em, cut'em up, load'em in the truck bed and head for home in time for dinner. Then he tells me I need to stop in so he can show me where they are and so I can plan on how to get them cut and loaded. Okay, I guess, not sure its necessary, but okay. So, I run over to his house after work and he takes me out into the middle of a freshly mowed field. And what he shows me is quite amazing. Three very tall straight dead ash trees (still got a few green leaves here and there but 95% dead) that average about 36" diameter at the base and about 60-70 feet tall. WOW! So, there stands my entire winters wood supply.....out in an open flat field, no trees to snag, no power lines, no brush thickets....just wide open field. I can drive my truck and dump trailer right up to them. Then he tells me he will help me by bringing his crawler over to help me load it and he will burn all the brush later on.

That does deserve a "you suck." Not really though, that's awesome. I hate cleaning up dead ash trees though, tons of little sticks.

Make sure that you can legally transport them. Restrictions / quarantines in some areas.

Philbert

Here you can move them within the counties, but to move them outside of the county you need essentially, a certificate of origin. I don't think they really care, but it's a pain in the ass to obtain, and the fine makes it not worth it almost.

I think you won the "you suck" award for the year.

WIN!

Here you can move them within the counties, but to move them outside of the county you need essentially, a certificate of origin.
Across county lines is illegal here also but nobody really pays attention. The AEB are gone from the tree once the tree is dead anyway. I have cut years worth of ash and never seen a single EAB. Black Locust borers on the other hand I have seen a ton of.

View attachment 669157 Pull out the junkyard homelite tonight and scrounged up these dead rose of sharon limbs out of the wife’s garden. The saw performed adequately for the task.
For a second I thought I was on craigslist looking at a free wood ad :lol:.

Cut down a fairly large, dead, Sugar Maple today (over 30"). Ran several different saws, including the MS 710 w/36" bar, CFB Hybrid with 28" bar and a coupe of Asian saws with 20" bars.

Attachments

• IMG_20180816_162039525.jpg
    IMG_20180816_162039525.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180816_162056884.jpg
    IMG_20180816_162056884.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 22
Make sure that you can legally transport them. EAB restrictions / quarantines in some areas.

Philbert
Hey Philbert, thanks for bringing this up as I had not considered it. So, just checked....Indiana lifted the quarantine restrictions within the state in 2016 since EAB had been detected in all 92 counties thereby making the quarantine pointless!

Delivered to my yard. For free. I didn't have to cut it down, limb it, clean up anything or haul it. :D
You win!!!:D

For some reason the state is always asking to set traps in my yard. At one time or another I have had up to 4 traps where they are trying to catch EAB's, Gypsy moth's, etc. They never catch crap but I appreciate the efforts.

I love ash and I love birch. Usually straight as an arrow, dries fast, and splits easily. Don't get a ton of either but I hop on it when I can.

My understanding is you can move wood from outside the quarantine to pretty much anywhere you want. But once it’s in a quarantine area it doesn’t leave.
That's different than 'unlimited movement'.
You have to know where the quarantine areas are, including any that you travel through.
Certified, kiln dried wood is an exception.

Philbert

That's different than 'unlimited movement'.
You have to know where the quarantine areas are, including any that you travel through.
Certified, kiln dried wood is an exception.

Philbert
Yes, unlimited within the state, outside the quarantine.

Doesn’t really matter.

I cringe when I see firewood rolling north on I-35 in someone’s utility trailer though as it was probably cut in the TC quarantine.

Latest posts

Back