Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, unlimited within the state, outside the quarantine.

Doesn’t really matter.

I cringe when I see firewood rolling north on I-35 in someone’s utility trailer though as it was probably cut in the TC quarantine.
EAB are flying bugs. They have moved just fine without people moving any wood. What does the gubmit think they are preventing by not not letting this piece of ash go across a county line? EAB has spread from GA to MI. Nobody went to GA from MI to get firewood.

Understand and agree. Although hauling infected firewood can speed the spread.

There are a lot of people from Minneapolis (200 miles away) and Duluth (100 miles away) who own cabins up by where I live. Both are quarantine areas. If they haul infected wood up here it could potentially speed the spread by several years.

On a separate note we are near the south end of more extreme winter cold weather which may permanently stop the northbound spread as the larva cannot endure greater than -40 f temps.

We have some borer here, south of here has it bad so it’s going to get worse. Lots of Dutch elm as well. Dead elm in every fencerow. I have a couple decent dead standing elm waiting for when it cools down. Plus a multi trunk twisted monster ash. Not that huge but taking it down is going to be like playing jenga.

Gypsy moths were bad again this year. Not as bad as last year but lots of trees defoliated for the second year, not sure if they can come back but our land was ok. Splitting the scrounge and filling our 10' - 20' shed. Almost all oak, the moisture starts at 38% but stuff a month old is 22% according to the meter. Still more wood to grab from the scrounge but I told my neighbor I had to cut and split the stuff I had 1st. He is all good on that. Wasps still try to build a nset in the cover for my splitter engine, I had one burn out a few weeks ago while splitting and today a few came back:angry: Not sure where they are but I didn't split for 2 weeks. They build em I burn them!001.JPG 002.JPG

Gypsy moths were bad again this year. Not as bad as last year but lots of trees defoliated for the second year, not sure if they can come back but our land was ok. Splitting the scrounge and filling our 10' - 20' shed. Almost all oak, the moisture starts at 38% but stuff a month old is 22% according to the meter. Still more wood to grab from the scrounge but I told my neighbor I had to cut and split the stuff I had 1st. He is all good on that. Wasps still try to build a nset in the cover for my splitter engine, I had one burn out a few weeks ago while splitting and today a few came back:angry: Not sure where they are but I didn't split for 2 weeks. They build em I burn them!View attachment 669396 View attachment 669397

Nice work. What's the stacking arrangement you're using there? Sorta looks like you're cribbing the whole lot from you second pic. Or is it crib around the edges and loose toss into the middle?

We have some borer here, south of here has it bad so it’s going to get worse. Lots of Dutch elm as well. Dead elm in every fencerow. I have a couple decent dead standing elm waiting for when it cools down. Plus a multi trunk twisted monster ash. Not that huge but taking it down is going to be like playing jenga.

I haven't seen any EAB yet in our area. MPLS area has some I guess. I am over an hour west. Although we have plenty of elm disease. I have 4 or 5 of them that need to come down. Can pretty much hit up any farmer around and cut on the field rows that are full of it. I usually wait until they are barkless as you get morels that grow under 'em but you can't wait to long or it gets soft.

33:1! Do husky not use modern bearings? 33:1...jeez. I don't want 2 cans of mix around... Takes me ages to use one can. I can either accept frequent cleaning of the spark arrestor on the stihl, or add a few ml to the tank on the 365 every refuel.... Or find someone to give ~700ml (pint and a half) of stihl green, and go buy the husky oil that allows 50:1.
Pfffff.

I run 40:1 in everything even the ported saw. If the tunes right it won't carbon up the spark screen. Every manufacturer recommends 50:1 with there own oil and more with others so you keep buying there oil. Run the oil you have at whatever you normally mix at the saw will be fine.

I run 40:1 in everything even the ported saw. If the tunes right it won't carbon up the spark screen. Every manufacturer recommends 50:1 with there own oil and more with others so you keep buying there oil. Run the oil you have at whatever you normally mix at the saw will be fine.
Didn’t know you spoke a foreign language, what’s a spark screen?

Just jeff, Our ash here are really dying out quickly. I have complete trees in the bush with no leaves on at all, some are big trees too 24" dia. The smaller stuff has large upper sections with no leaves on them. I also see it real bad while moving logs, large picks of bark are falling off and are full of tracks. I've never seen a borer but I don't look either. Well over half the bush has easily visible leaf loss. lots of wood peckers action on the ash too. I'm cutting it down as fast as I can. The bush is likely around 1/3 ash so lots to go yet. Next time I'm back I'll take some better pics.

It’s bad down there. When I go to London (my home town) it’s sad seeing all the dead trees in the bush. It’s here too just hasn’t hit as hard yet. Loggers are cutting every ash, back in late winter , guys on the peninsula were actually discounting loads of logs to get rid of them.

I've just read of a brand new 365, sold with a free one shot bottle of stihl green, seized in a few tanks. That is how I picked this up.

Ah but, ms180, simple OEM carb, no hi screw. Remove the screen and it will run lean.

I've run the ported 590 with and with out the screen. There was no noticeable difference in performance. I did start a fire in a big cut once so the screen stays in. Only saw I don't run a screen on is the 355t.

I've just read of a brand new 365, sold with a free one shot bottle of stihl green, seized in a few tanks. That is how I picked this up.

Ah but, ms180, simple OEM carb, no hi screw. Remove the screen and it will run lean.
Saws don't care what oil is in the mix. I won't run stihl mix because it makes the exhaust smell like burnt plastic and gives me headaches. Iv got the 7910 now but it could have been a 365/372 and it would have run on the same 40:1 echo mix as everything else and lived a long happy life.

Since I don't use much mix, to use it reasonably quickly I only mix 1/2 gallon at a time. Since that's not much and a small short on oil would make a big difference, and I'm a cautious sort, I mix at 42:1. The stihl seems fine, but this reminds me I ought to check the screen.
1/2 gallon will fill up one 1050 and half of C72.:)

Latest posts

Back