Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I don't know of a source of E-free fuel here in MD. I can get it in WV, and I used to get 5 gallons every time I went up, but I didn't like switching back and forth, so now I stick with the same fuel I get at home. It never really has a chance to get stale, I go through about 5 gallons a month, and mix mine in 5 gallon batches.

You might try looking here: https://www.pure-gas.org/
They claim to have a complete list.

MD EthOH-free.png

Jim, the 2 cycle mix has stabilizer in it, so you are good at least 3 mos. I never empty or start my saws in tax season (2.5 mos) and they are all fine at the end of it.
On that note, as long as your saws aren’t setting on the floor (or the ground), gas will last a long time. Seems the old mag case saws really like to pick up moisture in the gas if left in a damp building or the cement floor.

I cut down a big tri sister ash at my BIL's this morning. Took my 440, 460 and the new 261. 460 wouldn't start, got the 440 started and headed over to the tree to get started, saw stalled and just wouldn't start again. My buddy grabbed his 460 and on the 2nd pull he pulled the rip cord in half. BIL went to get his 360, by this time I'm getting pissed and grab the 261 and headed into the 1st limb. Had to cut a big notch in it (26" dia) just so the 261 with 18" bar could get thru it. Dropped it like nothing. Buddy started cutting up the limbs with his Echo and my BIL loaded the bigger logs with his tractor and hauled them to his place to cut up later. The 261 ended up doing all the big cutting and had no problem. Got home and the damn saw started right up so I headed back to my log pile and spent an hour blocking up 32" rounds for my OWB. No pictures of the big ash but a few of my rounds.
20180818_204234.jpg 20180818_204245.jpg 20180818_204224.jpg 20180818_204217.jpg

Finally got this saw together to give to my uncle. Long story short I had parts saws from @chipper1 and @muddstopper that I combined. Was almost ready to go in February then I lost the muffler. Finally gave up and ordered a Chinese muffler which arrived yesterday.

New parts: carb boot, impulse grommet, chain, muffler.

Everything else was salvaged from three dead saws and a box of spare parts from Bill. Bar came off of that 5020 Poulan I picked up the other day.

F0AA51E5-6ED5-44A1-9BCE-D9E027D795BF.jpeg

I cut down a big tri sister ash at my BIL's this morning. Took my 440, 460 and the new 261. 460 wouldn't start, got the 440 started and headed over to the tree to get started, saw stalled and just wouldn't start again. My buddy grabbed his 460 and on the 2nd pull he pulled the rip cord in half. BIL went to get his 360, by this time I'm getting pissed and grab the 261 and headed into the 1st limb. Had to cut a big notch in it (26" dia) just so the 261 with 18" bar could get thru it. Dropped it like nothing. Buddy started cutting up the limbs with his Echo and my BIL loaded the bigger logs with his tractor and hauled them to his place to cut up later. The 261 ended up doing all the big cutting and had no problem. Got home and the damn saw started right up so I headed back to my log pile and spent an hour blocking up 32" rounds for my OWB. No pictures of the big ash but a few of my rounds.
View attachment 669670 View attachment 669673 View attachment 669676 View attachment 669677

You need to borrow Mike's eyeballs so you don't have to use the marking paint.

my wifes friend works for NPS in WV. she posted this on Facebook the other day. :omg:
39162722_2164196683851993_6532449342282792960_n.jpg

Finally got this saw together to give to my uncle. Long story short I had parts saws from @chipper1 and @muddstopper that I combined. Was almost ready to go in February then I lost the muffler. Finally gave up and ordered a Chinese muffler which arrived yesterday.

New parts: carb boot, impulse grommet, chain.

Everything else was salvaged from three dead saws and a box of spare parts from Bill. Bar came off of that 5020 Poulan I picked up the other day.

View attachment 669688
That's great Steve, looks good, hows it run.
On that note, as long as your saws aren’t setting on the floor (or the ground), gas will last a long time. Seems the old mag case saws really like to pick up moisture in the gas if left in a damp building or the cement floor.
Not sure about that one, maybe it's because mine are "newer mag saws" their okay lol. I do try to keep the nicer ones on cardboard, but the basement is pretty moist, the dehumidifier runs 24-7 except when I don't dump it.
Just picked up another Honda TRX90 yesterday that I will be cleaning the carb on, it takes a good 5 minutes of running it before you can shut the choke off, then it still has a low idle, not sure how many of these carbs I've cleaned, but it's quite a few :yes:.

That's great Steve, looks good, hows it run.

Not sure about that one, maybe it's because mine are "newer mag saws" their okay lol. I do try to keep the nicer ones on cardboard, but the basement is pretty moist, the dehumidifier runs 24-7 except when I don't dump it.
Just picked up another Honda TRX90 yesterday that I will be cleaning the carb on, it takes a good 5 minutes of running it before you can shut the choke off, then it still has a low idle, not sure how many of these carbs I've cleaned, but it's quite a few :yes:.
I don’t notice the problem with the newer saws....maybe the breather vents are better?

The fuel in my older Jonsered will go stale within two months if it’s left on the floor. We used to store it under the bench in the sauna dressing room while we were gone (before we built a storage shed). Lots of humidity in there and the gas would be crap very quickly. I now put it up on the shelf in the shed and you can leave it full of gas for a year and it’s still fresh.

It might be a chemical reaction with the old unpainted mag tanks though? I don’t know how to quantify it but it’s definitely real.

Just sitting in the screen tent enjoying some good covfefe. Eyeing up some future firewood. The two big crooked aspen in the center rear need to go eventually. Both are 24” plus diameter and could hit my sauna building (just off the right side of the photo) if the wind is wrong. The one on the right is full of core rot and both have a good collection of conks on the trunk.

CFBE26E4-CB0E-4F8E-8922-97D287121686.jpeg

Back