Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
275 Rigby AFTER he couldn’t get his favorite round.
6.5x54mm MS.......I just got an action to work on. It has to be butterknifed and stoned........long way off.
Bells Estate cane still be visited and stayed at.
The sale that I got the Savage at had a beautiful M-S. It was on my want list, but it sold before the Savage and I couldn't take the chance of coming up short on the SRC. It sold for $850, it was butter knifed, one slick little rifle.

The sale that I got the Savage at had a beautiful M-S. It was on my want list, but it sold before the Savage and I couldn't take the chance of coming up short on the SRC. It sold for $850, it was butter knifed, one slick little rifle.
Dam........those kill ya.
I like a gun to carry......easy.
Just got MS sling loops for my 20” carbine.

Edinburgh VA. He has two coming up with more Savages in them. He seems to have a pretty good client base with nice collections. I think the one in two weeks has a Savage 1899C in 38-55. The C is half round/half octagonal with 26" barrel. The early Savages in Winchester calibers bring a pretty good premium. That's why I went after the SRC in 30-30 last weekend. I still need a 38-55 and a 32-40. I was at a sale in Punxsutawney and bid one up to $1800 and let it go. It was an 1899A, 26" round barrel. Still kicking myself, haven't seen one since.

Answered the phone today and heard, “A couple small trees came down on the back pasture fence. You can have the wood if you want it”. Place is 200 yards up the road, no brainer. @James Miller, thanks for the info on the 3/8 lp conversion on the 490. Didn’t run it much but it sure cut nice. Not a huge amount of wood but that close to home is nice.
Is that an 18? I know with the 16 on mine it was a very flickable saw. Also rather light at 13.7 pounds on my scale ready to run.

Like you Mike....a Model 71.......a special one.

Mine is special too, in addition I took my first 3 deer with it. But then my eyes did not remain as strong, and I felt it was safer to go with a scoped gun. Just wish mine had a peep, it does not, and my gun guy refuses to install one for me (says it is too nice).

Mine is a Deluxe model, with engraving (none came with factory engraving, but I've been told that mine is "period correct" and was done by someone very skilled). I should have written down who it was, but I did not. I paid $320 for it (was on consignment). Was offered $1,000 for it two years later by a very tight fisted gun dealer who was apoplectic that I hunted with it.

Shoots my hand loads very well, even though the trigger is a bit on the tough side, and the open sights are course, I have managed 2" 5 shot groups at 100 yds a few times.

Mine is special too, in addition I took my first 3 deer with it. But then my eyes did not remain as strong, and I felt it was safer to go with a scoped gun. Just wish mine had a peep, it does not, and my gun guy refuses to install one for me (says it is too nice).

Mine is a Deluxe model, with engraving (none came with factory engraving, but I've been told that mine is "period correct" and was done by someone very skilled). I should have written down who it was, but I did not. I paid $320 for it (was on consignment). Was offered $1,000 for it two years later by a very tight fisted gun dealer who was apoplectic that I hunted with it.

Shoots my hand loads very well, even though the trigger is a bit on the tough side, and the open sights are course, I have managed 2" 5 shot groups at 100 yds a few times.
I’d been watching mine for 50 years.
A friend got it for high school graduation in 1942.
He got to shoot it four years later.
The Greatest Generation.
Plane Jane Model.
Saw it in magazines and books for years.
It is the short barreled.....and been hunted.
It has the Stith(spl?) mount with the proper 4x Alaskan.
And a peep......get a peep. Lol
I already know who it will go to.......

Love to see that 71 some time.

Edinburgh VA. He has two coming up with more Savages in them. He seems to have a pretty good client base with nice collections. I think the one in two weeks has a Savage 1899C in 38-55. The C is half round/half octagonal with 26" barrel. The early Savages in Winchester calibers bring a pretty good premium. That's why I went after the SRC in 30-30 last weekend. I still need a 38-55 and a 32-40. I was at a sale in Punxsutawney and bid one up to $1800 and let it go. It was an 1899A, 26" round barrel. Still kicking myself, haven't seen one since.
Went in to Redding Hardware in Gettysburg one time with a buddy and the had a BUNCH of 99s and he looked at them all.
Suddenly his stance turned and took one look and bought one of the many. He was the buyer for Bass Pro Fine Gun Room for years.
I love to stump him.....just doesn’t happen very much. Lol

G'day scroungers,

I haven't been around here very much but I have been out and about a bit. I went back to the last scrounge spot and had another go at the same log - prolly red box. Right nearby there is a big old grey box that forked not far up and one fork broke off, some time ago by the look of it. Someone has already cleaned up the smaller end of it and left the rest. It is a little buried and not easy to get without cutting dirt so there's more time and effort to get it cleanly so it can wait.

18th Sep 5.jpg

Grey box is one of the best Aussie firewood species with a 12% MC density of 1120kg/m which is a whole another level from most wood. I have plans for that log, mega BTUs :sweet:.

So I went back to the previous log I had a crack at last week. The bits I left behind were still there.

11th Sep 4.jpg

Sliced off a few more big wheels. Doesn't take many of these to fill my little trailer.

18th Sep 1.jpg

The termite dirt in the middle doesn't do much for the chain sharpness but it does make these big rounds easier to split.

18th Sep 2.jpg

Not sure why I took this pic but might as well include it. Maybe I was having a breather.

18th Sep 4.jpg

18th Sep 6.jpg

There's still some left in this log, might make another couple of trips to get the rest of this log and the grey box.

18th Sep 3.jpg

:)

Latest posts

Back