Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Specific density of 1.12, holy moly! We dig (or rather used to dig) that out the ground, here it's called anthracite.

Very conservative trailer loading there cowboy, been having trouble with the highway patrol?

I'm working on the theory that if they see it well secured they won't pull me over and look too closely at other things like why I'm towing 1200kgs on trailer tyres rated for 900kg with a car rated for towing for 750kg. Also, getting back out onto the main road is tricky with some deep ruts from water flow on the dirt road so you need to really pick your way, while still maintaining some momentum going up the hills.

Grey box green is 1170kg/m so there's not much water in it (blue gum is 1100kg/m green but 900kg/m dry). This wood from yesterday is 1050kg/m dry so it's still up there.

That’s what called an ickle trailer. Perhaps an upgrade is in order?

I'm hoping to get prolly a dual axle cage dump trailer in the next 18 months or so, but...

Then it would be too heavy to pull with an ickle car.

The Suby won't pull it. Well it prolly could if empty. So we'll need a decent ute but we also have some serious house surgery soon so that'll come first.

My son and I got a subscription to "Harry's Razor" for Christmas. We both like them a lot. My beard is like wire dry. I used to soak my face in hot towels, like the old movies, then switched to shaving in a hot shower. Still use Harry's in the shower, but if I'm in a hurry, I just splash some hot water on the face and shave. No ripping and pulling, they work well. Don't know if you can get them over there. Try a search and see what you get. It's all mail order.

Yes I've seen the Harrys, dollar shave club and such. not keen on the subscription idea and being told how much to spend a month, and forced to buy shave gels etc. Wouldn't rule it out though, but more tempted to go old skool on a de safety razor and old fashioned super sharp razor blades. I guesstimate it would take a year to pay for the initial outlay on a quality razor through the saving on blades. the quality shave and lack of irritation would be good if true. I currently, and for the last 15 years or more, have used gillette mach 3, shaving monday to friday I guess i get 2-3 weeks from a cartridge (it feels blunt for the last week), and they cost £2.50 a pop buying in 8 packs.

thinking of this sort of thing

razor-merkur-1904-classic-open-tooth-razor-1_1024x1024.jpg

On a change of subject....well this thread does meander....if i were to ask advice on de razors here would anyone answer? getting fed up of paying for mach 3 blades and considering joining the army going old skool.... need advice on picking a razor and blades.

Brother, I've been using the disposable Gillette Pivot Plus razors for years without issue, and shave dry without cream. The wetter your face is the better. I've been sporting either a chin strap or goatee for a while now, but when I used to shave clean it was always done in the shower, hot and wet. Don't be afraid, you know your own face!

I get one maybe two uses out of each razor and a 10 pack lasts me a month, which costs about 8-9 USD.

The Suby won't pull it. Well it prolly could if empty. So we'll need a decent ute but we also have some serious house surgery soon so that'll come first.
I have just the monster for you. $5,000USD for the truck and $10,000USD to ship it to deadly spider land.

Attachments

• 20180420_142729.jpg
    20180420_142729.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20170507_082624.jpg
    20170507_082624.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20170507_082641.jpg
    20170507_082641.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20170507_082657.jpg
    20170507_082657.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
Oregon's John Dilworth and Jeff Spencer are just a few team members who have been on the ground in Wilmington, NC helping residents and local law enforcement clean up what was left by Hurricane Florence. The Oregon Disaster Relief Trailer is currently located at Port City Community Church in Wilmington and can assist with free chainsaw sharpening and debris clean up. If you, or someone you know, currently live in the Wilmington area and need help, please share this post as a resource. Our team is working to help as many people as possible. Photos by Sasha Wooddell, story and video by WWAY TV
https://www.wwaytv3.com/…/two-men-travel-hundreds-of-miles…/

Screen shot 2018-09-19 at 7.39.02 PM.png

Philbert

Yes I've seen the Harrys, dollar shave club and such. not keen on the subscription idea and being told how much to spend a month, and forced to buy shave gels etc. Wouldn't rule it out though, but more tempted to go old skool on a de safety razor and old fashioned super sharp razor blades. I guesstimate it would take a year to pay for the initial outlay on a quality razor through the saving on blades. the quality shave and lack of irritation would be good if true. I currently, and for the last 15 years or more, have used gillette mach 3, shaving monday to friday I guess i get 2-3 weeks from a cartridge (it feels blunt for the last week), and they cost £2.50 a pop buying in 8 packs.

thinking of this sort of thing

View attachment 675824
My son orders the Harry's stuff, no forced purchase. But, if you want to go old school with a "Safety Razor", I have a box full of nice ones, you would just have to buy your blade of choice. I actually found one in the hunting trailer last weekend, must have been my Dad's. I never shave while hunting.

I got three partial loads hauled in from the secondary driveways. Just as I was about done I used the truck to pull down a large widow maker branch that was wedged in a tree and hanging over the road. Spun the tires and proceeded to get myself really stuck. Passenger side front tire was deep and the ground was just below the rocker panel. Wife had to pull me out with the Yukon and we barely got it out.

5C272491-2135-4CB7-8DCE-117AE8665B85.jpeg 7CA2DBC4-0D51-43F3-8A1D-F49413997C5F.jpeg 24876ADA-C53C-4130-AB6A-CCF6104A295B.jpeg

I have just the monster for you. $5,000USD for the truck and $10,000USD to ship it to deadly spider land.
My buddy has a real truck for sale. Shipping may be a tad high. Awesome winch, dog not included.

Attachments

• 4199F1DD-3BF8-4CF8-8F7E-FDC302A4127D.jpeg
    4199F1DD-3BF8-4CF8-8F7E-FDC302A4127D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • DCDD24B8-D73E-4065-A99C-FAB02D386BCD.jpeg
    DCDD24B8-D73E-4065-A99C-FAB02D386BCD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

That would sure pull several ickle trailers sticky taped together. I had a look at the process for importing and registering a LHD vehicle and it's not pretty. How many miles?

Oregon's John Dilworth and Jeff Spencer are just a few team members who have been on the ground in Wilmington, NC helping residents and local law enforcement clean up what was left by Hurricane Florence. The Oregon Disaster Relief Trailer is currently located at Port City Community Church in Wilmington and can assist with free chainsaw sharpening and debris clean up. If you, or someone you know, currently live in the Wilmington area and need help, please share this post as a resource. Our team is working to help as many people as possible. Photos by Sasha Wooddell, story and video by WWAY TV
https://www.wwaytv3.com/…/two-men-travel-hundreds-of-miles…/

View attachment 675839

Philbert

Did you check to make sure they were using the grinders correctly? Good on you blokes for doing this. Of course, we'll need some more pics.

Hey @dancan ! I didn't forget you and your elbow. I'm not certain we have excluded the elbow joint as opposed to the common extensor origin at the lateral epicondyle but we can try something for the tendon and if that doesn't work we can revisit the joint. So, the lateral epicondyle is the pointy bit on the outside of the elbow that you hit as you walk through a doorway sometimes. The muscles that bend the wrist and fingers backwards (that movement is called extension) have a common tendon that attaches to this point which is just above the elbow joint. So these muscles cross both the elbow and the wrist joints. This is an important point for the exercise I'm going to suggest.

Now, tendon complaints, once they are past the initial inflammatory response of a few days up to a couple of weeks, respond best to what are called eccentric exercises. With muscle contractions, concentric is where the muscle is working and shortening - so in the case of your biceps, bending the elbow would be the result of a concentric bicep contraction. Isometric is where the muscle is working but not shortening or lengthening - think flexing in front of the mirror. Eccentric contractions are where the muscle is lengthening under load - a lowering contraction like when you are putting something down. Eccentric exercises work best for tendonitis. Now, these extensor muscles pass in front of the axis of rotation of the elbow so they help to bend the elbow when they contract, as well as bend the wrist back. When you make a fist, you will see the wrist bend backwards (which helps to keep the flexor muscles on the other side of the forearm at the optimum length for gripping). So the extensor muscles will be working when you make a fist and if you then straighten the elbow, they will be forced to lengthen under load - ie. the eccentric contraction. It will probably hurt a bit. Now, how hard you clench the fist will determine how much it hurts and we are wanting to produce about 2/10 pain where 0/10 is no pain and 10/10 pain is getting kicked in the scones by Jackie Chan wearing steelcaps.

Keep in mind that tendon rehab is a process of adaptation so it won't happen instantaneously. You will also benefit from going a bit easy on the elbow doing other things. In particular, lifting stuff with the palm facing down is asking for it as it will load up the tendon significantly, lifting palm up is likely to be ok.

In summary:
1. Clench fist as hard or gently as it takes to produce 2/10 pain
2. Smoothly straighten elbow from about 60 degrees to absolutely full extent. Remember, 2/10 pain
3. Do 10 times. Nice and smooth, no need to hold it at the end, should take about 20 secs to do the set
4. Do that 3-4 times per day.

Hopefully you will find that as days pass, you will need to clench the fist harder to produce the 2/10 pain. That means the tendon is strengthening up. If not much happens then it may mean that the joint is the problem and will need to address that.

Any questions?

FWIW, I say stick with the suby and existing trailer, Cowboy. It's a slippery slope that gets imperceptibly steeper so it's best to not disturb the fragile balance of things. If you don't take my advice however, could we please have pictures? Thanks in advance.

Back