Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So , over the years I've laid scrounging tools down in the woods and then spent time looking for them an hour later (Or even less) :(
All the colors of gear get dirty and then eventually blend into the flora , who needs camo ?
I decided to start painting my gear a color that you won't find naturally so it will stand out even if it gets dirty , as long as one bit retains color , I should be able to find it ;)

7f7711efcfac3a9dd1fce86976ddb2bd.jpg

Blue , the only color I've not seen on the forest floor :)

So , over the years I've laid scrounging tools down in the woods and then spent time looking for them an hour later (Or even less) :(
All the colors of gear get dirty and then eventually blend into the flora , who needs camo ?
I decided to start painting my gear a color that you won't find naturally so it will stand out even if it gets dirty , as long as one bit retains color , I should be able to find it ;)

7f7711efcfac3a9dd1fce86976ddb2bd.jpg

Blue , the only color I've not seen on the forest floor :)
Smurf tools.

Blue , the only color I've not seen on the forest floor
I am colorblind.

When I was a land surveyor I would walk past the fluorescent, hot pink flagging that my coworker laid down. I used royal blue flagging. He would walk right past it in the spruces.

Blue stands out to me more than red. A large patch of color always stands out mute than a small dot. Helps with shape recognition.

Philbert

I have a Stihl, can’t believe I said that, peavey. Anybody have experience with the optional attachment for lifting a log to cut it? Wondering if it’s worth the $40. Thanks.
Some folks love them, but I don't. I'd rather lay 3 small logs on the ground and roll the big log on them. I had a steel log jack and the very first log I try it on I bent the steel handle.

I am colorblind.

When I was a land surveyor I would walk past the fluorescent, hot pink flagging that my coworker laid down. I used royal blue flagging. He would walk right past it in the spruces.

Blue stands out to me more than red. A large patch of color always stands out mute than a small dot. Helps with shape recognition.

Philbert
Blue is polly one of the best to stand out , our powerco uses a blue in there work pants and coveralls mixed with hiviz, you'll see the blue before the hiviz because it's ugly in clothing lol
I'd like to get the actual color .

To continue on the saga of my doggy Poulan 4218. I put another tank of fuel through it and it continues to run better. It is just slightly rich and cleans up as soon as it hits wood. I need to turn the idle up again though, which is strange. With the muffler mod it does have more grunt now and actually has good throttle response. I guess I can only postulate that although it was several years old, it was probably always the backup to the Husky 142 that came with it and must have been on it's first tank of gas when it was given to me as the piston looked brand new and the bar lettering was all present.

The trigger did stick once but I depressed it and it let off. And the AV is way too soft but I guess that beats the opposite.
They are pretty good saws for what they are. I have the sears version and I gave it a fairly ignorant muffler mod and a loop of stihl chain that cost as much as the saw. There is something to be said about having a saw you don’t care much about.

Both are great (except in autumn).

Philbert
I dont pick up reds very well. It was caused by a virus called optic nueritus which caused me to go legally blind for almost 3 months. My eye doctor says you can see the dead spots on my optic nerves as there white instead of pink.

You guys outside the rust belt are really spoiled.

I am hoping that I can get two more years out of my truck before the rust eats it away. Then I will steal the tommy lift and V plow to put on something else.

The 3/4 ton is great but rides rough compared to a half. Maybe a half ton long box with helper springs for occasional loads is the way to go.....

If you can find the half ton's that came with the 9.5" rear end that's the way to go, air bags I think would be ideal but a good set of shocks is always a must. If you're pulling a lot of weight though stick with the 3/4 ton for the stronger transmission.

I got home a little after 6:00 tonight and drove right past the house to back in the field and figured I would stack wood until dark. Well surprise surprise my lovely wife was already there and had already been there since 2:00 and had stacked 15 more crates. As soon as I got out of the truck she said " say one word about the stacking and I'm outta here". Of course I couldn't resist and spent a few minutes showing her what she had been doing wrong. We both staked for 2 1/2 hours until total darkness and every stick was in a crate. The pile ended up being 33 1/2 crates that are approx. 48" x 48" high x 32" long splits. So 3 crates make a bush cord. Together we stacked 14 1/2 crates in 2 hrs. I'll post pictures tomorrow as it was black when we were done. I guess I'm going to the wedding and I'll have a good time and I'll sneak in the new 441 sometime next week if I have time to go pick it up.

Was the log jack from Tractor Supply? Almost bought one of those, over half the reviews were a 1 rating for that same reason.
I have this.

https://www.logsplittersdirect.com/...qIO6JJk1DFyZf1dOcYfnBa5Qrd_KQgcxoCtZQQAvD_BwE

I dont weigh enough to bend it. If I cant pick up the log with it I have to cut the tree in half then lift one half at a time. I think its rated for 20" logs but if you smack the spike in the bark with the back of your belt hatchet it will grab bigger.

Latest posts

Back