Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably maple? Looks like it has been there for awhile.
I say probably cause I'm no expert. I burn firewood, that's it. I know just a handful by sight. When I zoomed in to pic, it looks like maple to me. Every time I guess on the wood the father in law corrects me. He's the expert but not so good at teaching. Unfortunately if you don't know something in his eyes your an idiot. But he's old & has bad ticker so I just leave it be. Grateful for the wood though

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lots of info on line, but nothing like actually seeing it. And, many trees will vary a bit by locality, making it a little more difficult.
The one James posted a picture of recently was one of those.
The leaves looked like walnut, he said no walnut, the bark looked like ash/elm as did the other closeup of the leaves. I'm sure if either of us were there we would have been able to tell quickly, maybe :lol:.

The one James posted a picture of recently was one of those.
The leaves looked like walnut, he said no walnut, the bark looked like ash/elm as did the other closeup of the leaves. I'm sure if either of us were there we would have been able to tell quickly, maybe :lol:.
it was walnut. That's why there were no pictures of it turned into firewood.

Jeff I’m surprised your not on of the first of the northern hemisphereiens to get the home fire burning.
So I looked up ‘Keady Ontario’, your a fair way south so that would explain it. Pretty cool to zoom in on google earth, it’s a very small town, is that patch of forest over on the concession road open to scrounging?

It's not all latitude. Apparently London is at the same latitude as Halifax, and thankfully we are very much warmer due to the gulf stream (warm current from the Caribbean). So this morning I have not seen any polar bears, nor am I likely to without a trip to the zoo, and the stove hasn't been lit in the last week. With temps still around the low 20s Celsius I may not need to light it again for a few more days.

View attachment 679901 Little fire this morning to take the chill off. Apparently the smaller the fire the bigger the picture.
I had the insert running last night. I still need to figure the thing out. I had the family room up to 80°F last night. The rest of the house was in the low 70s. The wife was not pleased - that's just too damn hot.

I had the insert running last night. I still need to figure the thing out. I had the family room up to 80°F last night. The rest of the house was in the low 70s. The wife was not pleased - that's just too damn hot.

Vents/ducts +/or ceiling fans to spread the heat to other locations.

Jeff I’m surprised your not on of the first of the northern hemisphereiens to get the home fire burning.
So I looked up ‘Keady Ontario’, your a fair way south so that would explain it. Pretty cool to zoom in on google earth, it’s a very small town, is that patch of forest over on the concession road open to scrounging?
No it’s all private woods around here but lots of farmers are happy to have help cleaning out fencelines. We are fairly temperate due to our proximity to the Great Lakes.

Less wood, or less air.
Less wood. The air was shut down as low as it would go, AND I had the stove's circulating blower turned off. This was the first real burn for heat and I'm still learning the stove.

I think the piece of walnut (about 3"x3"x16") I threw in was a mistake.

Jeffkrib, Jeff lives about an hour north of me. I'm about 7 miles from Lake Huron so it plays a big part on our weather. It's common around here to have the heat on in the morning, AC on at noon and the heat on again at night. I lit the OWB last weekend. Google my address and you can see my famous fence line from Space. 35645 Zion Road, Lucknow, Ontario. My wife loves it...

Latest posts

Back