Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry 4 sharp chains with every saw. I carry 5 wedges in the saw bag. 2 screnches in the truck and 1 in the saw bag. And never take just one saw. Been there. Done that.
I think you might want to add a couple longer bars to that arsenal :D.
I was just trying to find an 18"x.325x.063 in the basement tonight, there were chains everywhere, then I found the secret stash of 325x063 chains in a stihl saw case only to realize they were 16":nofunny:. I did end up finding one, and organized a little, it needs more :omg:.
Hows the wood stove project going.
Fires on here as it has been most the last week, suppose to be 31 in the morning :blob2:.

I got the oak scrounge today. Big oak in the middle of a field "leave only one track in and out, the field is seeded"

First clue my day was not going to go well: Got to the tree to see a roll of barb wire hanging off a stub. It went down hill from there. Got the angle cut finished for the undercut and the chain quit cutting. No problem, I have another. Nope. I had had one link removed last spring as it was almost out of the adjuster travel. Too tight and nothing I could do would get it on. Okay...back to the house and sharpen the dull chain and one that was hangin on the 'to be sharped nail'. Back enroute to the tree adn pulled a 180. I forgot to pick up some wedges, only had one and that tree is a monster around 4' DBH not much lean so will be stacking wedges. Stopped at the Stihl dealer to pick up wedges and a couple screnches (I needed one yesterday and none in the toolbox.

Back at the tree and laid in a the straight cut of wedge deep enough to hold the saw. Around the other side to eyeball it - no good, sloped. Back to the saw and started a straight cut. Seemed okay so proceeded to cut it full bar lenght to meet sloped cut PERFECT!...ooops, nope, I missed the slope cut on the off side by 3 inches. Much hacking and whittling later I had a undercut completed but not as deep as I liked. Suck it up and live with. Backcut , cutting from both sides and encouragement from the wedges had it on the ground.

Not bad. Out to fall a simple tree and on the ground in 3 hours :(. At that point I would have stood it back up if I could. Looked to cover 3 acres with long limbs everwhere. 2 more hours of brushing and bucking and I have a load ready to pick up and 2, yep, just two majore limbs cleared up. there are only about a doze more to go along with a LOT of small ones plus a huge log. I'm guess 2 cord in just the limbe and at least another cord in the main log.

I took a couple pics but too tired to try to post them, maybe tonight.

Your in good (bad luck) company Turnkey, yesterday was a bad day for me too. I got a phone call from the school that my 5 year old had tripped and smashed 2 teeth on the front edge of a concrete step. When I got home I had a letter from the “Infringement processing bureau” with a lovely picture of me speeding, my first speeding ticket in 20 years. Lucky young junior burger still only has milk teeth, so had them pulled out today.

I was just trying to find an 18"x.325x.063 in the basement tonight, there were chains everywhere, then I found the secret stash of 325x063 chains in a stihl saw case only to realize they were 16":nofunny:. I did end up finding one, and organized a little, it needs more :omg:.
Fires on here as it has been most the last week, suppose to be 31 in the morning :blob2:.

Our forecast is for 31deg tomorrow too, only our 31 is a bit warmer than your 31:cry:

Our forecast is for 31deg tomorrow too, only our 31 is a bit warmer than your 31:cry:
That's funny, but at the same time not :havingarest:.
I was just explaining that to my kids today as well as the metric system, and they were like why do they use that it's so confusing:laughing:. They are 6. 8, 10, I then explained it's ours thats the confusing one :yes:. The conversation started because the compass in my suburban said south "S" which looks just like a 5 and I said look kids it's 5 out, it was 39 degrees so it's not off of 5 c that far so it seemed like a good conversation to have with them. I'm just glad their was someone in the vehicle that knew less about the metric system than me:lol:.

Your in good (bad luck) company Turnkey, yesterday was a bad day for me too. I got a phone call from the school that my 5 year old had tripped and smashed 2 teeth on the front edge of a concrete step. When I got home I had a letter from the “Infringement processing bureau” with a lovely picture of me speeding, my first speeding ticket in 20 years. Lucky young junior burger still only has milk teeth, so had them pulled out today.
That's stinks, and so does that, expensive day:envy::envy::envy::envy:.
Good thing it was "milk" teeth, we call them baby teeth here.

Pics not to be. I uploaded dto the computer, got the usual display on the screen. But cannot find them in "my pictures" file. That is where they used to show using the old camera. Can look at them, copy them and paste but I can't figure out how to link to them.
:badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc:
If you can view them you should be able to screenshot them.
When I do a screenshot it goes to my desktop, I have a MacBook.
Then I hit upload file, select desktop, then select the picture I want.
Here's one I saved for @farmer steve , figured he could use this in the spring:lol:.
Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 12.25.28 PM.png

I have a 20/32 for the 395 but the 16's on the 445/550 normally do fine with just about everything I get. The stove project is going fine. Just slow. Its hard to work 10hr days, keep the little stove going, sleep and take care of all the other stuff and have very much time to do much on work days. I get Thurs-Sat off though so its on today.

Was supposed to go hunting with my buddy this afternoon, so I pushed the couple lawns I had for today into tomorrow. Was getting my black powder stuff ready, and was going to run up to the gun shop and get my license, when another friend called. A big 3 lead Black Locust blew across the parking lot at his church. Some members cleaned up all the brush and some little wood. They had one lead sticking up in the air, the main log was cut off, but was still sitting on the stump. They were afraid some local kids would climb the lead sticking up and put enough weight on it to make it spin off the stump, and get hurt. No one could figure how to get it down to cut up. So my other friend said,"I'll get Joe, he can do it". I tossed a bull line over the upright lead, put the truck in 4X4, and pulled it over. I stuck some chunks of wood under the log before I pulled it over, so when it came free of the stump it fell on the chunks, holding it off the ground. Used the MS 290 with a 20" bar and bucked it all up. The main trunk may have been 24", the 20" bar would not quite make it through. Noodled the big pieces into quarters and loaded up the trailer. I guess that's about as close to scrounging as I get. Might be close to 3/4 cord. I do love Locust.
JVbEmSK.jpg

cRfRIpL.jpg

Been in the 30s here the last few mornings and I'll be going up to the Cabin (Catskills) tomorrow, so I'll be off line for 2 days. 1st priority will be to put some wood back inside since we removed it all out to do the concrete floor. I expect it will go down to the 20s up there.

Then I hope to do some bow hunting, and clear some shooting lanes for the regular season. I'll be flying solo this time, everyone else is busy!

Then I'll check out the tree stands, I know at least one of them needs a repair, and I think I found the right size bolt to do it.

It was 25 last night and warmed up to 60 today.
I haven't ran a saw in a couple weeks but put two tanks through the 4218 cutting trails on the family land. There are some good deer trails out there so once I give up around my cabin (there are way too many wolves up there) I will head down to the land and hopefully fill my tag. Or maybe just start out there.

I have a 20/32 for the 395 but the 16's on the 445/550 normally do fine with just about everything I get. The stove project is going fine. Just slow. Its hard to work 10hr days, keep the little stove going, sleep and take care of all the other stuff and have very much time to do much on work days. I get Thurs-Sat off though so its on today.
Really pushing it with a 32 on a 395 :laugh:. I may still have a 404x36 here if you need one :D.
I here being busy, how many kids do you have:crazy2:.
Sounds like a nice weekend, hope you get lots done.

Was supposed to go hunting with my buddy this afternoon, so I pushed the couple lawns I had for today into tomorrow. Was getting my black powder stuff ready, and was going to run up to the gun shop and get my license, when another friend called. A big 3 lead Black Locust blew across the parking lot at his church. Some members cleaned up all the brush and some little wood. They had one lead sticking up in the air, the main log was cut off, but was still sitting on the stump. They were afraid some local kids would climb the lead sticking up and put enough weight on it to make it spin off the stump, and get hurt. No one could figure how to get it down to cut up. So my other friend said,"I'll get Joe, he can do it". I tossed a bull line over the upright lead, put the truck in 4X4, and pulled it over. I stuck some chunks of wood under the log before I pulled it over, so when it came free of the stump it fell on the chunks, holding it off the ground. Used the MS 290 with a 20" bar and bucked it all up. The main trunk may have been 24", the 20" bar would not quite make it through. Noodled the big pieces into quarters and loaded up the trailer. I guess that's about as close to scrounging as I get. Might be close to 3/4 cord. I do love Locust.
JVbEmSK.jpg

cRfRIpL.jpg
Nice load Joe, black locust :sweet:.
What do you keep in the ammo can, is it secured to the fender like that.

Put the big felling dogs on the 441 today. To windy to try them out today maybe tomorrow.View attachment 680394 View attachment 680395
Those look great, nice for large root flares and trees with big fissures in the bark.
If you pivot off the bottom dog when making your notch your cuts will line right up on the opposite side :happybanana:.
If your not accustom to large dawgs watch that you don't stab yourself in the thy with them :surprised3:, don't ask how I know :dumb:.
I always liked the way my old 441cm sounded:chainsaw:.

Back