Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easiest scrounge ever... drove out to fill up my gas cans this morning and spotted my neighbor who was felling the second of two trees. Stopped to see if he needed help. Said he was removing the trees to widen his secondary driveway. He doesn't burn wood, so I asked what he was doing with it. He said "I was hoping you'd take it".

I did grab his smaller saw and helped swamp the tops and cut down the limbs while he bucked the logs, then when I got back I hooked up my trailer and schlepped it up to my log pile.

Ash and Tulip Poplar, free and fairly minimal labor.

Fe5bhOv.jpg

Andm3Dy.jpg

Centrifugal force is amazing. Even a correctly tensioned loop of chain, spinning at 60 mph, will lift away from the guide bar. It is why our guide bars have rounded 'bellies' instead of being flat on the top and bottom. Twigs can get between the bar and chain and lift and throw the chain just like a tire iron. Guys who only cut big wood don't get this.

Philbert
I threw a chain off the 550 cutting small stuff just this morning.

there is a certain dislike for non pro saws from even the German and Swedish brands
Yeah I’ve called people out on that around here a few times. Most of the time they’ve never even seen the saw they are talking **** about.

You really don’t know a saw until you’ve ran at least a couple of that model. Numbers on paper only tell half the story.

I was informed today by another member that because I run echos my opinion on good saws doesnt matter. Guess I'm just gona stick to this thread. People dont seem to care here as long as woods being cut.

Opines on your opinion, yet seems to forget the old adage about opinions...

People like that will tell you what the astronauts are doing wrong in space.

You have to take the good with the bad around here (and especially other saw places on the internet). I love the firewood cutters, the collectors, and the people who enjoy saw/firewood stuff in general. I have no respect for what I call the "builder groupies" who run around with saws only from a certain BIG EGO saw builder and talk **** about other people and try to piss on anyone else who builds saws or has a saw built by someone else. These folks are very cliquey and will try to "win" an argument by having their mob of buddies roll in to support their lame narrative.

I have about 15 people on my ignore list and I tell you what, this is sure a better place without having to read their childish garbage.

Most of those dudes do not even cut wood. They have a cant on a stand in their back yard to show off their otherwise unused ported saw lol.

Most of those dudes do not even cut wood. They have a cant on a stand in their back yard to show off their otherwise unused ported saw lol.
Have to agree with that observation but think it applies in a broader sense also. Most of us aren't heavily dependant on fine running, reliable saws for our daily bread, yet almost all of us have an opinion or seven on what we like or dislike about the different saw models and even to a certain extent the saw builders we have had any dealings with. On that note, I've only ever dealt with one builder and have been highly impressed with the way he conducts his business, notwithstanding the one time I recommended him to another bloke without the same highly impressive outcome (not bad just not stellar). I've only also been put off dealing with one builder because of the way they carry themselves online. I'm sure there are plenty of great builders out there and it sure would be a wonderful position to be in to have not just the money to try a few different ones out, but the time to use all the incoming saws.

Also, and as a counter-point to the above, there are exceptions to the rule. There are people who read and learn rather than run saws for a living. They have gleamed from their research more info and knowledge about saws than most of us will ever need, even though we might run a saw/s ten times more than they ever have. I wouldn't automatically write-off or under-value the opinions of everyone who only cuts cants every now and then. Doing so might be cutting my nose off to spite my face and I'd miss learning something important from them.

Back