Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use one like this for the splitter and moving trailers around with the tractor. https://www.palletforks.com/three-point-attachments/trailer-moving-attachments.html
tdrhd.jpg

Easy to step it up a notch.

I started with this six years ago: Receiver Hitch and Removable Forks. Please ignore the broken lift arm.

IMG_2415.JPG

Added this later: Short Removable Boom for Skidding.

IMG_2549.JPGIMG_2553.JPG

To this: Brackets to Hold Forks.

IMG_2083.JPG

Then this last year: Two Speed Hydraulic Winch.

IMG_2584.JPG

Then a paint job:
IMG_2623.JPG

I will be adding a longer removable aluminum boom as soon as I can get it welded together.

Who know what is next - hopefully, a newer tractor with a FEL.

Ron

Cody, I just noticed in your signature

Stihl MS170 - WT215 Carb & MM; 12" B/C - BIL's

How do you/your BIL like it with the mod? I've largely thought there's so little to gain from modding my 180 that unless it needed a new carb anyway I'd leave it, but interested to hear what you think.

I gave that saw to him because he's got a couple homelites I've been meaning to rebuild for him, this got him off my back. I wanted a 171 for a couple of reasons, one being the side chain tensioner. I miss the 170 though, with the muffler opened and the walbro carb it was a mean little runner. You could actually push pretty good on it where before you had to take it easy, started better and ran easier when cold too. The 171 still needs coaxing until it's got some heat in it, I could probably fix that with the tuning. It's also not broken in yet likely, with the 193 I'm always grabbing for it. It's definitely worth it.

Hit the gym again the other day for a light sawing and fiskaring session. Only used the 460 for this. The logs were in 2-4 round 'tree service' length which meant that the rounds are all different but I don't think that affects how they burn. Peppermint dries really fast, the checking on the ends is from only a week's worth of drying time.

4th Nov 1.jpg

4th Nov 4.jpg

I also had some other rounds that I had cut previously that got fiskared. A bit of fluffy punk in a few rounds but mostly good.

4th Nov 2.jpg

4th Nov 3.jpg

Nice easy afternoon.

I gave that saw to him because he's got a couple homelites I've been meaning to rebuild for him, this got him off my back. I wanted a 171 for a couple of reasons, one being the side chain tensioner. I miss the 170 though, with the muffler opened and the walbro carb it was a mean little runner. You could actually push pretty good on it where before you had to take it easy, started better and ran easier when cold too. The 171 still needs coaxing until it's got some heat in it, I could probably fix that with the tuning. It's also not broken in yet likely, with the 193 I'm always grabbing for it. It's definitely worth it.

Sounds good. Was it straight forward? The case/handle needs an extra hole drilling for access to the H screw I understand, otherwise is it just a carb swap and drill holes in the muffler? One extra hole of about 3/8" I think I read.

Chinese wt 215 clone is only a fiver.... Think I'll get one, fit it and make sure it works, then take the drill to the muffler.

A few more pics. Two loads of splits taken over to the shed from next door, one piled high on the trailer

4th Nov 5.jpg

One smaller load, prolly a little over 2 cubes or not quite 2/3 cord all up.

4th Nov 6.jpg
4-5 cubes of peppermint splits in this pile now.

4th Nov 7.jpg

I ended up moving my box species into the shed for future years and will stack this stuff out the front on bricks and it will dry out well over summer to be burned first up next winter. Might also get to light the fire again tomorrow, a cold front predicted to be putting a little snow on the hills would be all the excuse I need.

:)

Replaced a brake line on dads old windstar. (He hasn't driven since August but likes to have options). Just beat the rain by the time I picked the line and put it on.

So to do something I cleaned the Jonsereds 52 and sharpened the chain. No sooner did I get er fueled n started the drizzle broke! So I went out and dropped 2 more boxelder, cut em up n stumped 3 stumps... Rains back! Beings how I could melt called it for another day.

During a very brief rasped from raindrops, I went out and hand split some Pig Nut Hickory with the Fiskars X-27. Was actually very surprised how easy the Hickory was to split by hand! Was good to get a little fresh air and exercise.

Boy, looks almost just like the wood in the 2nd pic of Cowboy's post 35342!

Attachments

• IMG_20181105_142605611_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181105_142605611_HDR.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20181105_142552398_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181105_142552398_HDR.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 15
No Scrounging of late, it’s getting a bit hot for that in my part of the world, while you guys in the northern hemisphere have started the home fires burning we have started our AC systems.

Here’s some pictures of my weekend Canyoning in the Wollemi national park.

Abseiling and swimming through deep water with a full overnight pack is not the best but you get to go to some remote areas where not many people get to.

upload_2018-11-6_16-8-7.png

upload_2018-11-6_16-8-7.png

upload_2018-11-6_16-8-8.png

upload_2018-11-6_16-8-46.png

@turnkey4099 Do you have a pic of the hitch on the front of your rider? Love to see it.

I have the JD 110 with factory bumper (round tube bent in bow). Had the welder add a plate behind and flush with the tube, ball mounts in the plate.

Still learning how to post pics, I tried one the other day "file too big". I did discover how to downsize a pic this afternoon but have no idea what size to make them.

I put a ball on both the hitch and front end of my rider mower. Most of the time the splitter is being pushed into position - much easier to push it than back it into position.
I have so many different pieces of equipment, I got tired of taking the ball on and off my JD265. I used to have stuff with a drop pin, 1 7/8, 2, and 2 5/16" balls, So I went to Tractor Supply and bought a 2" receiver tube and welded it on top of the factory hitch, right over the ball hole. Now I just stick a receiver draw bar in for what ever I'm pulling. My 1/2 cord trailer's jack stand was too low and would rip big chunks of sod up, so I bought a 7" drop hitch and turned it upside down for a 7" lift. Now no more problems. I can even jockey my 5000 pound dump trailer around on level pavement.

I have the JD 110 with factory bumper (round tube bent in bow). Had the welder add a plate behind and flush with the tube, ball mounts in the plate.

Still learning how to post pics, I tried one the other day "file too big". I did discover how to downsize a pic this afternoon but have no idea what size to make them.
If you take a screenshot(you can google how to do it on your computer) it will ask where you want to save the screenshot to, I save them to my desktop. Then when I'm on here I select "upload file", then desktop, then I look for the picture(I know where they usually go on my computer), then I select the picture, then I hit "choose". Now it will load to this page, put the curser where you want the picture and select "full Image" and it will put it on the page to the largest size AS allows.
Here's my wood pile after pulling a cord out to sell the other day. The tractor is only in the picture for size, if the wood was on a concrete pad I could load with it, but it's not. The bottom of the bucket is 7' high.
Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 4.37.23 PM.png

Went down and worked on "miss piggy" yesterday, my pignut scrounge here in town. Turns out there were two little locusts in the mess, the tops were punky but I got quite a bit of good wood. Not bad for a quick scrounge with the subie on a Monday morning. I cut some more after these pics were taken, it was all little bluebie wanted by the time I headed out. IMG_8389.JPG
IMG_8422.JPG IMG_8423.JPG IMG_8420.JPG

Went down and worked on "miss piggy" yesterday, my pignut scrounge here in town. Turns out there were two little locusts in the mess, the tops were punky but I got quite a bit of good wood. Not bad for a quick scrounge with the subie on a Monday morning. I cut some more after these pics were taken, it was all little bluebie wanted by the time I headed out. View attachment 683674
View attachment 683671 View attachment 683672 View attachment 683673

Ah yes, the challenges of scrounging with a Subaru...I understand them well. I've nearly beaten mine to death pulling an overloaded trailer around. In fact, that's the plan, then I've got an excuse to buy a ute :rock:

Went down and worked on "miss piggy" yesterday, my pignut scrounge here in town. Turns out there were two little locusts in the mess, the tops were punky but I got quite a bit of good wood. Not bad for a quick scrounge with the subie on a Monday morning. I cut some more after these pics were taken, it was all little bluebie wanted by the time I headed out. View attachment 683674
View attachment 683671 View attachment 683672 View attachment 683673
I was going to offer to swing by and treat you to an adult beverage, then I checked and I think you are more than a little day trip away. I've got property in Hardy County, right next to Lost River State Park.

Back