Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to offer to swing by and treat you to an adult beverage, then I checked and I think you are more than a little day trip away. I've got property in Hardy County, right next to Lost River State Park.

Lol, I hate to miss out on a free beverage! I’d like to go to a GTG sometime but who knows where the closest one would be. My family has a camp in Pocahontas county, it’s my excuse to start cutting wood again. We’re just across the river from watoga.

Lol, I hate to miss out on a free beverage! I’d like to go to a GTG sometime but who knows where the closest one would be. My family has a camp in Pocahontas county, it’s my excuse to start cutting wood again. We’re just across the river from watoga.
That’s a name I haven’t seen in a long time. One of the biggest bucks I ever saw was stepping into Watoga State Park, that sound right?

FE1D6560-8082-440E-85D6-324A300BB815.jpeg
That’s a name I haven’t seen in a long time. One of the biggest bucks I ever saw was stepping into Watoga State Park, that sound right?

Can’t say that I have seen many big bucks up there but there are deer for sure. Lots of black bear too. I went just outside the park squirrel hunting last month, there are millions of those.

057ACDAE-82CE-4C27-81A5-941928321B90.png Looks like winter will show its face soon. I’ve been burning willow since it’s been cold enough to need heat and it’s been working great. Volume wise I’ve been burning a lot but it’s quite light when dry. I’ve always just used a good hardwood mix of maple, ash, elm etc.. but this willow is saving the better wood for colder days

Our Savage collector club has GTG's too, we call them Savage Fests. There are less folks that collect old Savage firearms than people that play with chainsaws, so our fests are really spread out. Two day events that some travel 10-12 hours to get to. Having GTG's pop up within a 4-5 hour drive is doable for me, with a hotel. Keep your eyes on the chainsaw thread, I think they post more of them there. I really enjoyed the PA GTG leadfarmer put on.

Our Savage collector club has GTG's too, we call them Savage Fests. There are less folks that collect old Savage firearms than people that play with chainsaws, so our fests are really spread out. Two day events that some travel 10-12 hours to get to. Having GTG's pop up within a 4-5 hour drive is doable for me, with a hotel. Keep your eyes on the chainsaw thread, I think they post more of them there. I really enjoyed the PA GTG leadfarmer put on.

Sounds good. I don’t have any savages but I am a big fan of lever guns. My oldest one is a ‘53 model marlin 336

The vets office across the way had one of these Australian looking babies blow down a couple weeks ago. Billy bobs tree service cut it up into chunks and left it. Any idea what it is? Couldn’t get much easier as far as scrounging goes but I’d hate for miss piggy to think I was cheating on her, unless this stuff is Osage orange of course.

C3068AA2-3EEB-410C-BC72-815A52AD98AB.jpeg

The vets office across the way had one of these Australian looking babies blow down a couple weeks ago. Billy bobs tree service cut it up into chunks and left it. Any idea what it is? Couldn’t get much easier as far as scrounging goes but I’d hate for miss piggy to think I was cheating on her, unless this stuff is Osage orange of course.

View attachment 683815

General principle: Scrounge first, ask questions later. The small leaf and branches do look like one of the smaller eucalypts but I'm not sure what to make of the trunk. Farmers plant similar things along fence lines for wind protection for stock. That said, I did cut a similar type of tree last year and it was great burning, dense and clean. Only one way to find out, and if it is already cut up....:happybanana:

General principle: Scrounge first, ask questions later. The small leaf and branches do look like one of the smaller eucalypts but I'm not sure what to make of the trunk. Farmers plant similar things along fence lines for wind protection for stock. That said, I did cut a similar type of tree last year and it was great burning, dense and clean. Only one way to find out, and if it is already cut up....:happybanana:

It is kinda like trolling to ask scroungers if I should bother to pick up this cut up free wood right across the road from me or not

It is kinda like trolling to ask scroungers if I should bother to pick up this cut up free wood right across the road from me or not
Maybe I should have my scrounging card revoked. I don't really scrounge. I harvest dead standing Oaks. Maybe I'm a tree farmer? I have 3 farms that I cut on, if I have to cut down a dead Oak tree, to get to a Maple tree, I just take the Oak. There are always more dead Oaks waiting, so I skip the Maple. So, if you ask me if you should take that wood, my first question is, "Is there a dead Oak next to it? Take it first, then get the mystery wood".

View attachment 683773 Looks like winter will show its face soon. I’ve been burning willow since it’s been cold enough to need heat and it’s been working great. Volume wise I’ve been burning a lot but it’s quite light when dry. I’ve always just used a good hardwood mix of maple, ash, elm etc.. but this willow is saving the better wood for colder days

Willow is fine firewood if one is willing to put up with constant reloading and the ash. Here there are no hardwoods and quality evergreen (fir/tamarack(yes I know it is not 'EVERgreen)) are rather hard to come by. I heated my house with nothing but willow except for a few quality scrounges (one tree at a time mostly) for over 25 years. Still use 50% willow mixed with black locust all winter long.

So I says to the wife last night “Know what you and that stove have in common? I’m gonna put a load in both of ya before I go to sleep!”
Yeah..she doesn’t think I’m as funny as I think I am..
I bet you did FAR less work to get the stove warmed up.

Ran dad to a Dr appointment in the cities. So this was all I could cut n split today. One wheelbarrow of wet smelly oak. Might get a break in the rain/snow tomorrow. Still gonna be soggy wet on everything.
i like frozen river and lake ice as much or more then most people! when it's ice on a thick layer of forest leaves, now this is a different story all together!! slicker then grease and twice as miserable even with a full loaded cord of dry red oak and cant climb a short hill in the woods? yes! 4 wheel drive didnt do any more than plain 2 wheel wonder. sad day when i have to be rescued from a simple days journey/work. guess its time to remount the 8 ton winch!

Latest posts

Back