Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost looks like a sneaky stick or two of cherry, looking at the bark. Or is that something else?

I've decided that neighbour scrounges are the best scrounges.
Yes! There was a tiny bit of cherry and even a chunk of the wonderwood, @dancan spruce. I have kind of a Midas touch ability with all types of trees - if I handle it, it turns into firewood.

Agreed that neighbor scrounges ARE the best.

Got the electric motor off and the gaser installed on the conveyor and working good. Princess Auto engine and clutch. Built a plywood box to cover it and put it back in the field until next spring. Next on the list is the dump trailer I bought at an auction last summer. Want to build a toolbox on the hitch and install a pump in it for the hoist. I might build a sub frame under it to raise it up high enough to dump onto my splitter table too. The Japa processor is still on the tractor so maybe I should do it first.
View attachment 689101
Ive been trying to find a conveyor here. all the old hay ones are gone I guess. don't see any roofer ones either

Flat broke, try industrial places then. Some places use them for putting stuff onto upper levels of buildings. I’m looking for a rubber belt one for a Storage company that wants to convey winter/ summer tires up onto a 2nd level for off season storage. Even if you find an old broken hay elevator they aren’t that hard to rebuilt.

That is the reason I stopped using wooden handle splitting devices. When the 8 lb splitting head came back at me an brushed my cheek, I realize what may have happened to me if I had not "slipped" it! Went to metal Monster Mauls after that, then the Fiskars.

I have the attachment for 36" bars for milling with the chainsaw, but it is not practical to try and mill any logs greater than 30", unfortunately, I just turn them into firewood. I also checked with a local mill, and they won't handle anything that large either. (Had a 12' 40" Red Oak log).

Got the electric motor off and the gaser installed on the conveyor and working good. Princess Auto engine and clutch. Built a plywood box to cover it and put it back in the field until next spring. Next on the list is the dump trailer I bought at an auction last summer. Want to build a toolbox on the hitch and install a pump in it for the hoist. I might build a sub frame under it to raise it up high enough to dump onto my splitter table too. The Japa processor is still on the tractor so maybe I should do it first.
View attachment 689101

Can you send me some pics of the bars you are using for lifts and the chain connectors that they bolt to. I have an old new holland that the don't make the the drive chain links for anymore for the 55 chain. I need to redo it and looking for what works good.

That is the reason I stopped using wooden handle splitting devices. When the 8 lb splitting head came back at me an brushed my cheek, I realize what may have happened to me if I had not "slipped" it! Went to metal Monster Mauls after that, then the Fiskars.

I bonked myself on the head with my hookaroon today. Got some limby sugar maple I didn't cut the branches tight enough to the log so when I roll them on my deck to buck them the nubs were being a pain the butt and it slipped off. Got a nice bruise on my forehead but lucky the pointy end did not get me. Scared the crap out of me. Could only imagine a maul head flying at me!

captjack, I have 4 different conveyors, but I think they all use the same type of chain but there may be slight difference in sizes. https://www.usarollerchain.com/Bale-Elevator-Chain-s/5068.htm
The one in my shop picture is a grain elevator so it's got smaller and more slats than a hay elevator. Most farm equipment dealers sell the chain here and I assume they would in the States too. If you can't find the same chain then you may have to change out the sprockets to a newer style? If you can't find the bars then I would just make new ones out of thin steel and bolt to the chain.

I spent some time working on the Japa processor today. Got things cut apart and welded back up to mount the new pump. Had the fittings to get the hoses connected and then noticed that one hose was missing. I had left it sitting on the processor last week before I left for the week. My lovey wife decided to hook up the snow blade on the front of the tractor ( processor was on the back) so she could move snow while I was away. ( we have a 4 wheel drive truck). Well long story short there may have been a heated "discussion" about where the hose could possibly be and where if she found it she was going to put it. There is a foot of snow and 2' drifts along the fenceline of treasures where she had been driving in the snow. Even after her spending a 1/2 hour out there looking while I grumbled and chewed in the shop there was no hose to be found. So back out to the barn with the processor for another week because I'll be gone most of the week again. I tell ya some days it's one step ahead and 2 back. And I'm pretty sure the splitter valve on the processor is garbage too.

In other news this has kept me busy the last couple weeks. Got word this week that the outback was a total loss. We’ve been minvan shopping this weekend and I am trying hard not to think of the Tacomas Silverados and F150s that we could buy instead :cry:
Oh well, that’s family life I suppose.

Ouch! As long as nobody was badly injured?

Just remember. After removing the seats from the minivan. LOAD it up with wood;)

Don't forget the spilled 2 stroke fuel and bar oil! Occasional coffee stains, candy bar wrappers, half eaten quick stop sandwiches etc. !

Well I love that smell of course, but you know how odd women can be. Reminds me of how much I liked the smell of my papaws '80 chevy 3/4 ton truck. It smelled of chewing tobacco and hay and there is nothing in the world like it. If they made that smell in a new truck I would love it.

Agreed with above completely. The fresh cut hay, tobacco and occasional spilt warm brew shared with friends and neighbors really made the old Chevy cloth seats take on a "memory" So to speak. Not to mention the smell of a hot tranny and leaking motor oil. All great recollections. Only found by visiting a salvage yard now (with few exceptions). If you can still find one that hasn't been crushed!

Almost forgot, me and my little helper split and stacked a few just for fun the other day. He insisted we had to move as fast as we could. Must be in the genes!:)

View attachment 689329
My son will be 3 in February and insists on helping me carry wood in the house. Also curious what alls done to the ported wild thing in your sig?

Sorry Kiwi, no-one I know is heading over the ditch anytime soon. A private NZ individual could ship an Oz fishfinder to a private Oz individual who could then shoot it over to NZ though, right? Prolly stihl work out cheaper.
Yeah, thanks for that suggestion. It's the route taken. will only be about $100 cheaper by the time it gets here but every little bit helps.

Back