Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me neither. That's what I call a dedicated wood burner. :clap:

I am retired so I have the time. I also love being in the out doors and of course running one of the many saws that I have.
Plus there is just something about watching a fire in the wood burner on a cold winter evening. Just me and my wife. I had her running the splitter yesterday. Got keep her young.

I am retired so I have the time. I also love being in the out doors and of course running one of the many saws that I have.
Plus there is just something about watching a fire in the wood burner on a cold winter evening. Just me and my wife. I had her running the splitter yesterday. Got keep her young.

yep - wood burner through the glass on cold winter evening - beats watching TV by a mile :)
I'll have to try my wife on that Splitter idea of yours .... but I'm guessing this will be her reaction . . . > :eek:o_O:rolleyes:

:D

My wife scrounges just about all the kindling, and fills 3 bins stored in the barn. She picks up bushels of pine cones and several truck loads of fallen, small dead pine branches, and cuts them up with the chop saw into kindling size. It's a big help, and frees me up to do the firewood. She really enjoys driving the 4x4 in the woods, and keeping our woods roads clean while gathering kindling. She also likes running the splitter, and it makes it twice as fast.

My wife scrounges just about all the kindling, and fills 3 bins stored in the barn. She picks up bushels of pine cones and several truck loads of fallen, small dead pine branches, and cuts them up with the chop saw into kindling size. It's a big help, and frees me up to do the firewood. She really enjoys driving the 4x4 in the woods, and keeping our woods roads clean while gathering kindling. She also likes running the splitter, and it makes it twice as fast.

You lucky guy! She sound like a keeper!

That is great. Having a wife and a friend, that is what it is all about.

ahhh that's different than I initially thought .... you guys are loading the splitter for your wives! Operating the lever of the splitter would be likely ok with my wifey as well and might be nice (come to think of it, she's operated my lever on occasion already o_O ... sorry, couldn't resist :oops: .... but after the 5 or 10 minute novelty wares off :rolleyes:, I expect I'll be faced with 2 ultimatums, 'choices' in wifey's language, 1) haute cuisine chef or 2) splitter lever operator - ding ding ding - haute cuisine wins! :D

For those among you who have spllitter lever operator AND haute cuisine chef, my hat is off to you.

My wife is also a licensed nurse, a licensed massage therapist,a great cook, keeps splitting until it's done, and is my best friend.:)
I'm guessing she has an Arboriste login and is watching what you type as well? :p

All kidding aside, lucky is the man whose wife is his best friend. Ditto here Clint :clap:

I'm guessing she has an Arboriste login and is watching what you type as well? :p

All kidding aside, lucky is the man whose wife is his best friend. Ditto here Clint :clap:

After 40 years me and the wife have figured out how to get along. I always tell her, just you and me babe.

Best part about scroungin is getting out there .

IMG_20140406_113204.jpg

Scored some more dead standing spruce today .

IMG_20140406_142700.jpg

Got it hauled out but the snow sure is getting sparse on the skid trail , it didn't take me long to think to lay fir branches down on the mud patches LOL

IMG_20140406_160033.jpg

IMG_20140406_163402.jpg

Got it split and loaded up , done for the day .

IMG_20140406_165904.jpg

Had a couple of pieces ride up front LOL

I like the 4 wheel wagon idea .
Mechanization is what's gonna happen , pretty soon all the lots will be sold where I'm scrounging so I'm not sure where the next spot will be so I'll have to be ready .

Don't underestimate those bicycle tire carriers. I use one to transport my 100# canoe into remote ponds and they are very stable, and easily rolled over rough terrain. I have pulled some pretty heavy loads with those garden carts too. They hold quite a bit of wood and perfectly balanced when loaded right. It's one of those, "you need to try one to see what I mean", deals.

Back