Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son will be 3 in February and insists on helping me carry wood in the house. Also curious what alls done to the ported wild thing in your sig?

Well, I can’t say for sure as I bought it from another member here a couple of years ago for $100. He told me who did the work but I don’t recall now. I don’t think it was “professionally done” Lol. I do know it is loud as heck and cuts good.

In other news this has kept me busy the last couple weeks. Got word this week that the outback was a total loss. We’ve been minvan shopping this weekend and I am trying hard not to think of the Tacomas Silverados and F150s that we could buy instead :cry:
Oh well, that’s family life I suppose.
View attachment 689323
Minivan.... look at the Kia Sedona LX. When we were shopping for a herse...errr minivan, that's what we ended up getting. It drives like a car, not a small truck. The LX comes from the factory with the long wheel base and aux tranny cooler. It will tow 3500lbs.

Minivan.... look at the Kia Sedona LX. When we were shopping for a herse...errr minivan, that's what we ended up getting. It drives like a car, not a small truck. The LX comes from the factory with the long wheel base and aux tranny cooler. It will tow 3500lbs.
put a snorkel and rear locker and good to go

Day 6 and all is going well. From the time I woke up tuesday afternoon, till I left Wednesday afternoon I had near Zero pain. Took no pain meds while I was in hospital. They kept saying the operitive meds were still working, probably. I could bend the knee enough to get dressed and put my socks on. Just before the PT got there to release me, a nurse came in, and told me I wasn't supposed to get dressed, the PT was supposed to show me how. I asked her if "She was asking me to get Uundressed?" Getting around with walker was no problem. Getting in and out of bed was hard. Moderate pain, but it was more like the leg was still half asleep. It wouldn't move till I told it to 10 times. Walked 1 mile Saturday and didn't keep track Sunday.Using the cane around the house now. My future Son in Law is a Doctor of Physical Therapy. His specialty is Cardiac PT. My wife hounded him into bending my knee, so now I'm hitting the Oxycodone pretty good. I was looking at the wound and didn't see any sutures or staples. Simon said they probably just Super Glued it and wrapped it in Sarran Wrap. I'm miles ahead of where my left knee was at this point. Doc skipped home therapy and went straight to out patient. I think that was a good move. So far, happy camper.

My back is slowly improving, emphasis on the slowly. But I understand that any improvement is a VG sign. Been almost 2 weeks! Yesterday is the first day I could walk up stairs w/o a Gorilla Grip on the railing. Hard to know where the line is between doing too much, and not doing enough, and no one seems to want to get involved with helping on that. Guess I just have to keep winging it.

Bending down and reaching are still very painful. Also, have not slept in my bed for over a week, lying flat just hurts! I get mixed advice on if stretching is good or detrimental!

I think the best thing on my side will be my determination, but it ain't easy! I think the Docs would rather just do surgery.

My back is slowly improving, emphasis on the slowly. But I understand that any improvement is a VG sign. Been almost 2 weeks! Yesterday is the first day I could walk up stairs w/o a Gorilla Grip on the railing. Hard to know where the line is between doing too much, and not doing enough, and no one seems to want to get involved with helping on that. Guess I just have to keep winging it.

Bending down and reaching are still very painful. Also, have not slept in my bed for over a week, lying flat just hurts! I get mixed advice on if stretching is good or detrimental!

I think the best thing on my side will be my determination, but it ain't easy! I think the Docs would rather just do surgery.
I don’t know if it’s an option for you but those adjustable beds are the real deal for back pain. Lift the head or feet just an inch relieves all pressure. And some days you may need higher or lower. They are less expensive than the 7k I paid for mine. Huge relief when I had back surgery

Made my butthole pucker with them pics Joe. :omg: Take care buddy.
Funny thing, my first surgeon made an arrow straight incission, and I had all kinds of swelling and other issues. This surgeon is world renowned for joint replacement, and he made a big old crooked scar. His PT that cleared me to go home pointed at his knee and said, “you won’t have any of the issues with this knee that you had with the other one. He’s an artist at what he does.” So far it loooks like she is right. I bet there is a reason his cut is crooked?

Funny thing, my first surgeon made an arrow straight incission, and I had all kinds of swelling and other issues. This surgeon is world renowned for joint replacement, and he made a big old crooked scar. His PT that cleared me to go home pointed at his knee and said, “you won’t have any of the issues with this knee that you had with the other one. He’s an artist at what he does.” So far it loooks like she is right. I bet there is a reason his cut is crooked?
Chicks dig scars.

Most likely the knee had started to go crooked pre-op and the incision would have been straight when he did it. With your new parts installed and alignment rectified, the originally straight incision is now crooked. Hope the recovery continues to go well. Gaining range of movement is time sensitive, make sure you get after it now!

Well, either I'm starting to get a little better, or I'm going F***ing Crazy … just so you all know, my wife swears it is the latter!

Since I was able to walk up stairs w/o the railing yesterday, I went out and put up the Christmas Lights today. Since that didn't bother me too much, I re-installed a recoil I fixed on a saw, and then went out and started the saw the tree guy said would not start. It has an AM handle, so you really have to push the control lever to get the choke to go on, and it makes a distinctive click. I demonstrated that to the guy when he picked it up the previous time, but I don't think he absorbed it. Anyway, they had ripped the OEM started rope in two trying to start it, so I replaced it.

As my wife was screaming "you idiot, don't do that" the saw popped on the sixth pull and started 3 pulls later, ran just fine. I tried to explain to my wife that my pain was on the right side, and I was started the saw left handed, but women just don't seem to understand this stuff, and she just kept screaming till the saw drowned her out.

Then I coiled and put away several ropes and a couple of winches that I had used when butchering the doe. Right after I did that my back gave me problems, so I never got to put that stuff away.

So I really didn't do a lot, just a lot more than I have been doing. And I won't say that I don't hurt at all, but no worse than I've been hurting, so IMO it is all good!

Hope everyone else also had a good day! Was good to call that guy and tell him "there is F***ing nothing wrong with your saw"! He was very insistent that it was not running right, but I could not touch it when he dropped it off (plus, the recoil was broken). Was also real good to be able to do a few things again! It has been over 40 years since I've been "down + out" for this long!

I know it will still be a while before I can really do things, but as far as I'm concerned, recovery has started!

2012-12-05 09.43.55.jpg
2012 was the start of a new chapter for me , a lot of trying times , quite a few gray days that I wondered if it was all really worth the effort .
A lot of work on my part to get back to where I was , no regrets , nobody is gonna do it for me , no magic pill to fix it , I learnt a ton , shared a bunch of stuff here with whomever took the time to read hoping that someone might takeaway something good from my roadtrip .
I call my surgeon every year to wish him a Merry Christmas and that I still won't be in for an ankle fusion .
I'm still gaining to this day with the last two months being able to have the most painless days since , it's been a long road , most that meet and some that know me don't even know , I still qualify for a handicap plate if I wanted a free ride .
Being broke , self employed and needing to stay warm in the winter gave me the drive to push , cut , drag wood , haul with a sled , get a tractor , get a winch , push to get back to clearing lots again , split a **** load by hand , mechanize and split even more , give loads of wood away and sell some has gotten me back to where I am because nobody will do it for me .
I hope I'm not rambling on .

Bullvi22 , find a nice low mileage Montana SV6 , I hear they're awesome and will haul a ****-tonne of wood ,,, :)

***** getting old around here. Thieves breaking into houses, stealing out of the back of trucks, barns getting raided. Last Wendsday, my brother had someone walk into his barn and steal two weedeaters, a husky 51 chainsaw that I have given him, His dewalt cordless drills and sawsaw, including the batteries and charger, and even stole one of his riding saddles. Guy posted the drills for sale on facebook and the law is looking for him so we know who it was. Then, yesterday, my grandaughters boyfriend had his 55 rancher stole out of the back of his pickup, he dont know where or when.. I was rebuilding a 026 sthil I got given to me and I finished it up this morning and gave to my brother just so he would have a saw if he needs one. GD boyfriend had came over to help with splitting some firewood and thats when he told me about his saw. It had started raining so I told him lets see what kind of junk I got laying around and maybe we can fix something to run. I had a old 50 husky saw I had started to fix a while back but never finished. I had put a 51 topend on it, along with a choke that 50's didnt come with. It needed the rubber av mounts replaced. We stripped another saw for the mounts and got it fired up. We tested it on some small bradford pair and it seemed to run pretty good. So I gave him that saw. Two saws given to me and fixed and given away in one day. Thats a record for me. I usually fiddle with a old saw for weeks before making it run. brother has finally started locking his barn and gdbf put his saw in the tool box instead of back of his truck. I set a loaded rifle at the front door, the shitheads come here stealing, they will have a very bad day.

Back