Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 445 ran great. Didn't burn a full tank but did run dirty enough the chain will need a touch up. Did some boxelder, cherry and oak. Along with the stumps.
As with any saw, keep the chain RAZOR SHARP and it will keep up with just about anything in its class. People that dont run a saw on a regular basis dont understand the importance of a sharp chain. It cant be "pretty sharp" or "kinda sharp". It needs to be RAZOR. EFFIN. SHARP.

Well had my chance, saw 16 deer, all doe. We have Sunday hunting in our county, so I'm going out for 3-4 hours tomorrow. Yesterday I saw the first deer at 8:10 and the last one at 10:30. All were within 50 yards and the last one walked by at about 10 yards. This farm has some really nice bucks on it so I was holding out for one. Tomorrow I guess I'll go with "if it's brown, it's down".

good luck with the hunting... I do like venison! had some this morning with morning brunch. the back strap melted in my mouth. of course, those fresh yard eggs were a tasty accent, too! w/golden brown GMci spuds... yum. :yes:

venison back strap... great fo breakfast, brunch or any meal!

P6160001.JPG P6160002.JPG P6160003.JPG P6160004.JPG

My neighbor burns yard waste EVERY ****ING DAY from the beginning of fall into the beginning of December. He builds these tiny little fires full of wet leaves and what sticks and always starts it with kerosene. In the evening the smoke from his little fire fills my backyard and part of the neighborhood. I am not one to complain about the neighbors as I make a lot of noise all year with my truck, guns and saw. But that smoke is ridiculous. I completely understand when small neighborhood would complain about woodstoves creating lots of smoke. Our area is lower and and the smoke stays on low pressure days. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what may seem legal, even in larger outdoor spaces may have its limits if it can be proved to be a nuisance! hand, paper, stone sort of thing... :popcorn2:

As with any saw, keep the chain RAZOR SHARP and it will keep up with just about anything in its class. People that dont run a saw on a regular basis dont understand the importance of a sharp chain. It cant be "pretty sharp" or "kinda sharp". It needs to be RAZOR. EFFIN. SHARP.

I agree! sharp saws make for happy chain saws, and operators, too. I always know when my saw's chain needs some attention... but, alas... I am slow to respond at times...so there I am cutting... oh yeah, it sure does... I tell myself... it sure does need to be sharpened! I like those that kiss the chisel edge's after each tank of fuel run thru. I sharpened one of my saws the other day. put it up in case. couple days later needed to cut some scrounge. such a sweet difference... it sang, the chain sang and me, too... I sang, as well! lol :guitar:

I like metalworking and working metal. to me, chain saw sharpening is some good metal working exercises...

P6070021.JPG

There's a pile of firewood cut with 445's every year. Along with other saws of their ilk. Poulan pro has cut a lot of wood for my stove. A pro saw is lighter and stronger (especially muffler modded, ported, base gasket delete, uh uh uh) but more expensive. You won't see any saw snobbery from me . Just get out and enjoy running them! :chainsaw:

that's the deal! just get out, cut the wood... and enjoy running them. and the byproducts of their running...

>There's a pile of firewood...

.............................................right down my street from the house. saw it tonite walking the dog. most is of no interest... however, on the curb is a nice piece of oak, or two. plan to go get them tomorrow. great weather is forecast, low 70's and sunny, too. fire up my urban logging rig and go get it. not too much, there but enough to go get. and locality is perfectly ideal! :yes:

I have a neighbour who's completely anti-hunting and like to follow me and other neighbours when we do go hunting,shouting abuse and blowing airhorns when we do get a target in sight. She only moved in 5-6 years ago

hate to think a stray bullet might ricochet!!! ~

I have a neighbour who's completely anti-hunting and like to follow me and other neighbours when we do go hunting,shouting abuse and blowing airhorns when we do get a target in sight. She only moved in 5-6 years ago
Yea, that has been tried around here. One call to the game warden and they will arrest the horn blower and give them a big fine. That usually puts a stop to the harrassment.

I have a neighbour who's completely anti-hunting and like to follow me and other neighbours when we do go hunting,shouting abuse and blowing airhorns when we do get a target in sight. She only moved in 5-6 years ago[/QUOTe

I was going to say, in NY it is illegal, and you can press charges against them.

(The Gov generates revenue from selling hunting licenses)

hate to think a stray bullet might ricochet!!! ~
yeah not worth the risk of losing my guns for good when she's around

Yea, that has been tried around here. One call to the game warden and they will arrest the horn blower and give them a big fine. That usually puts a stop to the harrassment.
yeah the local cops are sick of her as well so gave her a warning when they where called last

Keeping the chain sharps probably all it needs like any other saw.

Looks like we agree there!

Speaking of sharp... I have to sharpen the 038 chain today. 32" 105dl for fun! No, I want to run it hard get er cleaned out before hopefully putting it away for a while. Have about a 6-7' cherry log that needs cutting. That should just about do it.

[album=medium]1957[/album]Proclaiming the winch scrounge a success. Have to put rubber boots over the motor leads and get a cable. I got to the store for cable at 3:08, they closed at 3, so tomorrow!
Dig the winch! We had a jeep scrambler with a pto winch always regretted selling it with the winch on. Had a plow so the winch was redundant.

Have a hand crank one on the tandem trailer. Pulled a lot of old iron on with a 36" ratchet. Might try a rechargeable impact wrench on it sometime now that they are more or less reliable.

Did get out with the 038 and cut that cherry up. No pics but it was only 3 cuts and took 2 of us to get em in the tractor bucket. Took me an hour to file the chain to where I was happy with it. Took the rakers down and went around twice with the file. 1 handed cuts! Just let er pull and lift up a little to clear the chips once in a while.

Well , it wasn't a good weekend to be in the woods , warm winds and heavy fog yesterday , rain , then windy with temps at 33F and wet today so :(
So , it was decided to gear up a woods trailer to go haul out a couple of cord that we cut and left in the woods :)
It was a free ugly trailer that I scrounged up a few years ago so I figured that it was time :)
It was at a friends place for a couple of years so Jerry and I went over to pick it up , we used a minihoe , loaded it upside down in my dump trailer and hauled to Jerry's place so he could do a bit of welding to some seedy bits (sorry , no pics :("
Today we sided it and got it over to the pit where we haul some of our wood too .

jWH2lx2.jpg

OqpgHlV.jpg

eSESo4Z.jpg

f6vF2UW.jpg

6'x4' metal floor , 20" sides , springs ? polly early caravan hubs with weather cracked 14" winter tires but they have tubes so they hold air just fine :)
A thing of beauty , the wood and screws are worth more than the trailer lol
If it hauls out 1 load of wood , it's paid for :D

Latest posts

Back