Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't like coals? I love coals they just keep pumping out heat until they eventually burn down and are handy to keep the fire burning along when you throw a few logs in overnight.
The coals are nice at night. But I want the stove to be cooling off by the time the sun is up. The house catches full sun light most of the day so the stove doesn't need to be going during the day unless its really cold or cloudy.

You don't like coals? I love coals they just keep pumping out heat until they eventually burn down and are handy to keep the fire burning along when you throw a few logs in overnight.
except when theres so much coals i cant reload the stove. I have to screen out the ash and still end up throwing a gallon of hot coals in the back yard.

I use gloves not to keep warm but to help protect against Funnel Web Spiders, which can be fairly common around my parts (made almost got bit on the finger the other day) he was lucky as he normally doesn't bother with gloves but this time he decided to wear some and bang on the tip of the finger he got hit by one and he was lucky it hit the finger nail by the looks of it as there was venom on his fingernail.
Bingo. Gloves aren't a weather related thing. I wear them every time. And glasses. And earplugs.

I use gloves not to keep warm but to help protect against Funnel Web Spiders, which can be fairly common around my parts (made almost got bit on the finger the other day) he was lucky as he normally doesn't bother with gloves but this time he decided to wear some and bang on the tip of the finger he got hit by one and he was lucky it hit the finger nail by the looks of it as there was venom on his fingernail.

Venomous spiders in the wood pile.

Nope
No way
Not happening

Move to a colder state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope
No way
Not happening

Move to a colder state.

Ah they are ok, it's the Tiger, Brown and Copperhead snakes that are more concerning to me, they have a habit of showing up regularly when out cutting wood and they can certainly be cranky little bastards that's for sure!

Been 3 1/2 months for me and still no energy and constant joint pain. Hope you progress better than me. At least the weather is finally starting to freeze the ground.

That doesn't sound like fun mate, we get it here too and it certainly knocks people about for quite some time. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Bingo. Gloves aren't a weather related thing. I wear them every time. And glasses. And earplugs.

I like em cos they also stop me from getting splinters when the wood gets tossed at me to put in the ute:laugh: also makes the wood a bit easier to grip too which makes it a bit easier to handle and again helps prevent getting bloody splinters.

Ah they are ok, it's the Tiger, Brown and Copperhead snakes that are more concerning to me, they have a habit of showing up regularly when out cutting wood and they can certainly be cranky little bastards that's for sure!

Your welcome here in Michigan Where we have very few concerns of venomous spiders and venomous snakes[emoji23].

The cold keeps the riffraff out to[emoji38]

Hey guys, figured I had better check in.

Been a very busy fall and winter and the weather was downright crummy to do any optional wood cutting. In addition I found out earlier this week that I had Lyme disease that I most likely have been carrying for quite some time. I did not get any of the "traditional" symptoms other than a welt around the suspected bite area that did not go away but I definitely have been lethargic and putting in an 8 hour day tires me out compared to my usual level of energy where I run out of time well each day well before I run out of energy. Started strong antibiotics earlier this week. Made the mistake of taking one on an empty stomach which made me feel like death. When I take them with food I am fine but still tired as hell. Supposedly after 3 weeks it should knock everything out of me.
I hope all goes well for you with that damn lyme. I figured you were trying to get up caught upon wood chores.

Hey guys, figured I had better check in.

Been a very busy fall and winter and the weather was downright crummy to do any optional wood cutting. In addition I found out earlier this week that I had Lyme disease that I most likely have been carrying for quite some time. I did not get any of the "traditional" symptoms other than a welt around the suspected bite area that did not go away but I definitely have been lethargic and putting in an 8 hour day tires me out compared to my usual level of energy where I run out of time well each day well before I run out of energy. Started strong antibiotics earlier this week. Made the mistake of taking one on an empty stomach which made me feel like death. When I take them with food I am fine but still tired as hell. Supposedly after 3 weeks it should knock everything out of me.
Hey Steve, get well soon. I’ve just been ducking in and out since I got my knee replaced. Thoughts and prayers heading your way.

Nope
No way
Not happening

Move to a colder state.

I found two of these gals in piles of pine that was going in the fire pit. Both in the spring when I was cleaning up all the scrap from firewood season. They do burn well, not much heat, no ash.:)
ZwNXbJW.jpg

I've had a bit of the flu for a week or so, couldn't stay awake in my office yesterday so I came home from work early. On the drive home I thought I would go to the bush and work the flu away. By the time I got home and hit the couch I wasn't going anywhere. Went to bed early and figured I would give it another try today. Wife left early today so I figured I would get something done. Used the tractor to move firewood skids around, moved a bunch of equipment out of the way now that we are getting finally getting some snow. Headed back to the field to hook onto the log wagon to head to the bush. On the way I noticed that my son had sold a load of wood and the conveyor needed moving to refill the trailer. I jumped off and figured I would man handle it the 30' instead of using the tractor. It damn near killed me, I was beat and breathing hard from that little work. Headed back to the house and now I'm sitting here getting the chills and fever every 10 minutes. My wife is home now and calling me names and telling me to just go to bed. It has finally froze up here and just enough snow to make working in the bush nice. My head is pounding and my bones are aching. 2 years ago I was down and out for 2 weeks with the flu, at least this year I haven't started the vomiting yet, lost 10 to 15 lbs then. Just to let you guys know how bad I am there was an auction today at one of my usual spots and I didn't go. Maybe an hour or two of rest will help?

IMG_20190106_114042.jpg started the day with getting brakes installed on my trailer project this has been ongoing too long IMG_20190112_150851.jpg Scrounged up some skids and cut them up with the little craftsman. Started stacking a third row along the back fence. Experience has taught me not to stack too high! I have more to stack but came in when my moustache froze up.

Obligatory saw pic. This saw is a turbo, maybe why it cuts up those skids so quickly! As you can see my friendly neighbor is spreading manure, aahh, fresh country air!IMG_20190112_151124.jpg

I've been doing a little splitting with the X 27 lately to aid my recovery … Oak, Hickory, Ash - leaving the Beech for the splitter! Will take a pic soon.

Also, ported a cylinder today, but got cold doing that. Been just cold and windy enough the last few days that you need to stay working to be out there.

Your welcome here in Michigan Where we have very few concerns of venomous spiders and venomous snakes[emoji23].

The cold keeps the riffraff out to[emoji38]

It gets cold here in Winter don't worry, -10 and upto-18deg in the paddock at times going by the temp gauge on my mates ute. We cut wood in Summer here and winter (pretty much all year round really) other than the 40+deg days that is but mostly when summers on it's way out as it's more comfortable to cut then.

I don't worry about em but I'm wary where I put my hands and feet that's for sure:cheers:

Back