ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Scrounging firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by mainewoods, Feb 23, 2014.

1. crowbuster

crowbuster ArboristSite Guru

Been thinkin bout ya. Figured you went south and I missed the post. Hang in there man, keep us updated please.

2. U&A

U&A ArboristSite Operative

Venomous spiders in the wood pile.

Nope
    No way
    Not happening

Move to a colder state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

@svk. Hope the meds help. Dang lyme sucks. good luck with it buddy.

crowbuster, Cowboy254, Dahmer and 4 others like this.
  4. bigfellascott

bigfellascott ArboristSite Operative

Ah they are ok, it's the Tiger, Brown and Copperhead snakes that are more concerning to me, they have a habit of showing up regularly when out cutting wood and they can certainly be cranky little bastards that's for sure!

5. bigfellascott

That doesn't sound like fun mate, we get it here too and it certainly knocks people about for quite some time. Hope you are feeling better soon.

6. bigfellascott

I like em cos they also stop me from getting splinters when the wood gets tossed at me to put in the ute:laugh: also makes the wood a bit easier to grip too which makes it a bit easier to handle and again helps prevent getting bloody splinters.

7. U&A

U&A ArboristSite Operative

Your welcome here in Michigan Where we have very few concerns of venomous spiders and venomous snakes.

The cold keeps the riffraff out to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Lowhog

Lowhog ArboristSite Guru

I hope all goes well for you with that damn lyme. I figured you were trying to get up caught upon wood chores.

9. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

Hey Steve, get well soon. I’ve just been ducking in and out since I got my knee replaced. Thoughts and prayers heading your way.

10. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I found two of these gals in piles of pine that was going in the fire pit. Both in the spring when I was cleaning up all the scrap from firewood season. They do burn well, not much heat, no ash.:)
    [​IMG]

11. cantoo

cantoo Addicted to ArboristSite

I've had a bit of the flu for a week or so, couldn't stay awake in my office yesterday so I came home from work early. On the drive home I thought I would go to the bush and work the flu away. By the time I got home and hit the couch I wasn't going anywhere. Went to bed early and figured I would give it another try today. Wife left early today so I figured I would get something done. Used the tractor to move firewood skids around, moved a bunch of equipment out of the way now that we are getting finally getting some snow. Headed back to the field to hook onto the log wagon to head to the bush. On the way I noticed that my son had sold a load of wood and the conveyor needed moving to refill the trailer. I jumped off and figured I would man handle it the 30' instead of using the tractor. It damn near killed me, I was beat and breathing hard from that little work. Headed back to the house and now I'm sitting here getting the chills and fever every 10 minutes. My wife is home now and calling me names and telling me to just go to bed. It has finally froze up here and just enough snow to make working in the bush nice. My head is pounding and my bones are aching. 2 years ago I was down and out for 2 weeks with the flu, at least this year I haven't started the vomiting yet, lost 10 to 15 lbs then. Just to let you guys know how bad I am there was an auction today at one of my usual spots and I didn't go. Maybe an hour or two of rest will help?

12. Dahmer

Dahmer Addicted to ArboristSite

You not going to an auction is bad.

13. JustJeff

JustJeff Addicted to ArboristSite

IMG_20190106_114042.jpg started the day with getting brakes installed on my trailer project this has been ongoing too long IMG_20190112_150851.jpg Scrounged up some skids and cut them up with the little craftsman. Started stacking a third row along the back fence. Experience has taught me not to stack too high! I have more to stack but came in when my moustache froze up.

Obligatory saw pic. This saw is a turbo, maybe why it cuts up those skids so quickly! As you can see my friendly neighbor is spreading manure, aahh, fresh country air! IMG_20190112_151124.jpg

14. Buckshot00

Buckshot00 00

So far this year is a little bit of everything. Loblolly, hickory, pear, sycamore and box elder.
    upload_2019-1-12_16-11-30.png

15. James Miller

James Miller Addicted to ArboristSite

20190112_135418.jpg Took the fiskars out to the pile to break up some big rounds. 20190112_142230.jpg Starting to like this thing in the right situation. The axe feels like a popsicle stick after swinging it for a bit. 20190112_152443.jpg Made a nice little pile but theres more to be done. Hopefully tomorrow the saws get to play.

16. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

I've been doing a little splitting with the X 27 lately to aid my recovery … Oak, Hickory, Ash - leaving the Beech for the splitter! Will take a pic soon.

Also, ported a cylinder today, but got cold doing that. Been just cold and windy enough the last few days that you need to stay working to be out there.

17. bigfellascott

It gets cold here in Winter don't worry, -10 and upto-18deg in the paddock at times going by the temp gauge on my mates ute. We cut wood in Summer here and winter (pretty much all year round really) other than the 40+deg days that is but mostly when summers on it's way out as it's more comfortable to cut then.

I don't worry about em but I'm wary where I put my hands and feet that's for sure:cheers:

18. bigfellascott

Ah that makes more sense:cheers:

19. chucker

chucker Addicted to ArboristSite

"SORRY TO HEAR THAT STEVE" ..... Borrelia burgdorferi(maynoii, is what I have been suffering with for 5 years with no good results with the meds that were prescribed... just be prepared for a long period of aching joints and moments you will think you lost your mind! (CAD, IS NOT AN EFFECT OF THIS WHICH HAS NO CURE EXCEPT ANOTHER SAW) !!!!

20. LondonNeil

LondonNeil Addicted to ArboristSite

no idea what that is....but its ugly so i really dont want to find out!