Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duncan, that logging road has some nice tire eaters sticking out of it. Those rocks look sharp.
It took 4 tries before I could stand up for more than 15 minutes this morning, the man flu is trying to kill me. When I did manage to stay upright I had to go to my sons and change out a shower valve. Valve was only 5 years old and split at the threads. Had to cut a hole in the drywall and all, will replace that later. $200 for a shower valve and damn thing is China too. I thought Taymor was Canadian and US built but the castings are stamped China. I even checked the fitting that didn't break and it snapped clean off without hardly any pressure. I hope I get better this week so I can get back to the bush next weekend. Nothing worse that being sick all weekend.

At Camp Smith the new recruits were killing the Black and King snakes. Finally, one of the older guys says to them "What the heck are you doing? Don't you know we brought the Black and King Snakes in here because they eat the Copperheads and Rattlers" (the two poisonous ones in this area).

Some people just have an abnormal fear of snakes. When I was a kid, my friend and I often kept them as pests (Garter Snakes), so I don't have that fear. Some are good, some are bad.

From memory our black snake eats browns and possibly others, it's still venimus but generally not too agressive as a rule.

Damn it Dancan, I knew that and I still spelled it wrong.
I assume that your name is like mine. Someone once told me " you can't do that" My response was " cantoo". And that became my online user name years and years ago. It was likely on a **** site way back then too. :)

I have not so fond snake memories from my Arkansas and Mississippi days. Copperhead, eastern Diamondbacks, timber rattler and the myopic and ill tempered cottonmouth. You sure had to watch your step, if it wasn't.snakes it.was fire ants. Here in Ontario, there is one venomous snake, the massasauga rattler. I actually saw one once!
I was digging deep into the split pile today, stacking since the sun was shining but at -18°C I wasn't too worried about any creepy crawlies.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

What species of tree is it Kiwi
wish i knew mate. is the odd one out in a stand of saligna and fastigata. dense. got three logs from it - 2 @ 3m because thats the most my tractor would handle, and the 6m butt log in the pic that I'll probably break down with the 395 so i can lift it or at least drag it along the grass in the front forks.

wish i knew mate. is the odd one out in a stand of saligna and fastigata. dense. got three logs from it - 2 @ 3m because thats the most my tractor would handle, and the 6m butt log in the pic that I'll probably break down with the 395 so i can lift it or at least drag it along the grass in the front forks.

Sounds like me, I often find wood and I wouldn't have a clue about it's name etc, so long as she burns I'm all good:laugh:

I'm getting to be that way. Before I joined AS my FIL had me brainwashed that oak was the only firewood. Now I bring all kinds of stuff home. He complained when I filled a rack with mixed cherry,maple,hickory,and locust. Now he just goes to the racks and gets wood without asking questions. I think he enjoys not having to do any of the C/S/S work anymore.

Sounds like me, I often find wood and I wouldn't have a clue about it's name etc, so long as she burns I'm all good:laugh:
Got to build a few bush cabins but is a bit of a lottery if it will work or is too good for framing. Will take the top off the first log and if it looks very good, might just mill decorative timbers/furniture. Might even try for 6x1 cladding for the bush huts but haven't got a clue if it can handle weather without splitting etc.

It's pretty dense so I guess it'll burn well. Won't know for another year :). Someone has suggested it's broad leaf apple but buggered if I can find out the durability class or timber uses. Was a bloody mission to drop without snotting anything so hopefully can mill it into something useful.

I found two of these gals in piles of pine that was going in the fire pit. Both in the spring when I was cleaning up all the scrap from firewood season. They do burn well, not much heat, no ash.:)
ZwNXbJW.jpg

what kind is it?

View attachment 696545Took the fiskars out to the pile to break up some big rounds.View attachment 696553 Starting to like this thing in the right situation. The axe feels like a popsicle stick after swinging it for a bit.View attachment 696554 Made a nice little pile but theres more to be done. Hopefully tomorrow the saws get to play.

good wood ops pix! I liked ur's a lot JM - nice firewood making axe

fresh country air, aye?... looks cold and if u mention it, I guess the air was very... umm, I say... very fresh smelling!

Black widow. The red mark on its body gives it away.

for sure? I never seen a B.W that had a mark like that, only a red hour glass... and never on top, only on bottom-

I came across this one just the other day working on a project... and she came out of a pce of short pipe. and suddenly was out of sight. dropped right out of sight! :eek: not happy about that deal, but did soon locate her. dint want her in any clothes, etc. really surprised to see it. amazed mite be a better word. up at the farm, they are a constant vigilance... but here in town, and in a patio umbrella pipe holder??... P5170019.JPG

It is a Southern Black Widow. Widow bites can be very uncomfortable to humans, bites can cause severe muscle pain, abdominal cramps, tachycardia, and can last several days up to several weeks. The last case of human death, reported to the Poison Control Center, was in 1983. A friend got bitten a couple years ago. He had severe flu like symptoms and a 104 fever. Put him in the hospital for a week. You could see the fang marks in the middle of the bite.

I don't think so. I just google southern black widow and all images have the typical red hourglass on underbelly. that one seems to have 3 red dots on top...

Brown snakes give me the willies. They are completely unafraid of humans so they don't move away when you come near and if you don't see them they can hit you as you walk past. I was taking the kids for a bike ride when they were little on a sealed bike path along our local river when a brown snake came up to the edge of the path coming up from the river. I yell at Cowlad who was 20m ahead to stay put while I grabbed Cowlass and we stayed perfectly still with this big snake a couple of metres away. It watched us for maybe 15 seconds deciding whether we were a threat or not then slithered across the path in front of us and went on his way. Tigers are 4/5ths blind and can get surprised easily and then get you. We have alpine copperheads up the hill but they're not much of a problem. There are also black snakes down here but they would rather avoid an argument, but it you try to hit them and miss then you can have a problem.

We've had one tiger and one black at our place, both became acquainted with my shovel.

most snakes give me the 'willies!' only dead ones don't, but sometimes even them.

here is a brown snake I have to contend with frequently during spring and summer months up at the ranch. one night I got 5 of them. I go on Snake Safari in eve. about 9-10 when they r out and about. I just safari around the house and some of yard. no matter how many I have seen, and I have seen many... the next one always makes me go into that certain mode of defence. and me, too... my preferred device is my snake shovel. typical steel pointer with tip broke off by someone yrs ago. and my very bright Guard Dog light. and I walk slowly. and then spot 'em.:omg: and bam! my shovel, mr Brutus makes 2 where 1 was. no deal, no more... no mercy! but I don't like to waste, so up on the fence they go. food. and usually gone in the morning. owls... I have seen them come swooping in.. in full wings spread flight... omg

I even have a snake handler's long reach fork in the house. if one should ever get in, it will be too late to go look for a solution. so I have the solution rite at hand. once of prevention is better than a pound of... sort of thing. well, imo...

Texas copper head. they are here in abundance... i am always on the lookout. have seen them any hour of the day!... they will hurt you. I have some stories I could tell. but safety first! wins out
ztxch.jpg

It's wood, it burns. Dancan proved that theory with spruce. I guess there are a few species that just smoulder and fill the fireplace up with ash. Time will tell. The world needs us incurable scroungers to boldly go where they wouldn't dare tread.

Looks like really dense wood. lol Here in the States “get knocked up in seconds” means you got pregnant in seconds.:surprised3:

I was wondering if anyone would comment. lol but over in England... u can tell a woman... you will knock her up! and she prob will say ok, that will be nice....

'cause it means u will give here a call on the telephone. really! maybe down under, too?

as an independent contractor and younger... much younger, I was calling on a client. and they had a new gal at the front desk. she was friendly and soon we were chatting. she was from England! and quite a nice looker, too. :yes: and so trying to make an impression :havingarest:I sent her a note... usps... and said next time I was by, hoped she would give me her fone number... [lol, u sitting down?.....]

'cause I wanted to knock her up! :laughing:

couple days later, I got a call and asked to stop by the client's office. it seemed she got the note, liked it... and showed it around. some of the upper mgt deal makers... had another view on the matter. lol... can u say 'dim' ! :cool:

din''t care what wording was OK in the UK... it wasn't OK here! lol... I had suspected I might hear about it...:rolleyes:

and told in no uncertain terms... if I wanted to keep the account... leave their staff alone!!!

:popcorn2:

It's wood, it burns. Dancan proved that theory with spruce. I guess there are a few species that just smoulder and fill the fireplace up with ash. Time will tell. The world needs us incurable scroungers to boldly go where they wouldn't dare tread.

some wood I don't burn, mostly cause I don't want to process it.

I'm hearing ya, woods wood burn the bloody stuff, it will put out some sort of heat so all good. And it's called a shovel and a bucket for the ash, simples really (it's not like you are going to choose freezing over using a shovel and bucket hey :cheers:

Latest posts

Back