Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new 880 Makes my brother in laws 441 look like a toy.

View attachment 697123

View attachment 697124

Got some ash on Sunday. It was a far walk from the truck, behind a row of townhouses so I brought my cart.

First time using my ms880. Ran well, that saw is strong, I can easily control my BIL’s 441 in the first pic and my old 660, but this thing puts a little bit of fear in me. Very aggressive with a 25” bar, I know once I put the longer bar on it, it’ll calm down some.
It's only 70CC's, it is a toy!:)

4889E6A8-2249-4F06-8821-2987D22FCE0F.jpeg 5E524FBD-9FEA-4FFB-9F1B-304CCD46712F.jpeg Company was timbering 60 acres on side of mtn about 3/4 mile from my house. Stopped and talked to guys one day and they said as long as they are not there working I can take whatever they knocked down or drug down with the skidder to the bottom of mtn. So they are now done and left this laying at bottom of mtn. Some oak. Birch,locust , maple. It’s at the back of a dead end road so hopefully I can keep this my little secret Till I get all I can before someone else starts taking

My new 880 Makes my brother in laws 441 look like a toy. Got some ash on Sunday. It was a far walk from the truck, behind a row of townhouses so I brought my cart. First time using my ms880. Ran well, that saw is strong, I can easily control my BIL’s 441 in the first pic and my old 660, but this thing puts a little bit of fear in me. Very aggressive with a 25” bar, I know once I put the longer bar on it, it’ll calm down some.

great looking saw. that's a big one! I don't know if it makes ur BIL's look like a toy... but, imo... your new 880 sure does make a fine statement! nice saw....

View attachment 697146 View attachment 697145 Company was timbering 60 acres on side of mtn about 3/4 mile from my house. Stopped and talked to guys one day and they said as long as they are not there working I can take whatever they knocked down or drug down with the skidder to the bottom of mtn. So they are now done and left this laying at bottom of mtn. Some oak. Birch,locust , maple. It’s at the back of a dead end road so hopefully I can keep this my little secret Till I get all I can before someone else starts taking

a whole mountain side of wood. my!, that could be the mother of all scrounge deals... well, ur secret is safe with me... lol

Yes the guys that did the selective timbering left a mess of smaller(4-8inch) downed trees all over the mtn side,
Nice score! Would be worth buying a trailer just for that use, if you don't already own one. Move it to your site before they change their minds, or somebody else finds your 'honey hole'!

Philbert

I usually borrow cousins dump truck if need be but I also have another 1 acre lot of all standing oak and birch that needs cut down that’s like 300 yards from my house that’s kinda when ever I get to it I’m the only one that’s aloud to cut that stuff so I have more then I have room for at the moment

Day was windy so I split up the boxelder pile as a warmer upper. Then buddy needed a hand with a fender removal. Then we ran to town for a few things and I dropped him off and headed to the woods. Figure drop it and call it a day.

Got going got er down. Made a few cuts off the butt. Damn nice wood. Cutting a little hard. Gonna clean and sharpen the 038 and run that down to 24" or so then maybe the 70e down to 18-20" the finish it out with the 2065. At least that's the plan.

I could use a friend with an 880!

038av 32" just about perfect bar for this hog cock.

Aimed west went North! Ooops!

Knew it should be wedged. Just got lazy. Actually north worked good just smeared 3 more boxies. It is a lot better wood then I had anticipated. I won't complain!

Gonna take some time to get er worked up though. Yeah my stump tells how bad I am on these bigger trees. Usually my forestry buddy tips em for me.

The week is going well for me so far. Yesterday, the Orthopedic Surgeon told me he can't believe how well I am doing considering he damage he saw on the MRI a month and a half ago.

Today I had a physical with my regular doctor, had not had one in almost 5 years. BP 116/68, pulse 58, he said everything looks good!

This afternoon I got another saw running, an Asian 440 Big Bore (#5). I think I'm starting to get better at this porting stuff, it fells real good and it is not even broke in yet. Noodled some rounds of Red and Black Oak, and I could lean on her pretty hard!

The week is going well for me so far. Yesterday, the Orthopedic Surgeon told me he can't believe how well I am doing considering he damage he saw on the MRI a month and a half ago.

Today I had a physical with my regular doctor, had not had one in almost 5 years. BP 116/68, pulse 58, he said everything looks good!

This afternoon I got another saw running, an Asian 440 Big Bore (#5). I think I'm starting to get better at this porting stuff, it fells real good and it is not even broke in yet. Noodled some rounds of Red and Black Oak, and I could lean on her pretty hard!
That's awesome! My BP should probably be monitored. Uhg!

I could use a noodle monster! Actually I cut short so the 2065 should tear it up! Think when I get er whittled down I will pull some short logs out try to save on my loader bucket.

That's excellent news, Mike! Did he happen to ask what you've been doing to be so well?

That's excellent news, Mike! Did he happen to ask what you've been doing to be so well?

NO!!! I get the impression he is disappointed he was thwarted from doing a surgery! Nothing about what exercises I'm doing or how I like my PT guy! The previous visit he reminded me that "I could still have surgery"!

My neighbor needed to take down a Maple tree. (sewer line trouble, tree was on top of the line, tree needed to go)

They took the tree down, but left about 8-10ft of the trunk so the contractors could use it to push the tree over. I'm getting the wood.
20190116_084246.jpg

I fear that they will want me to get rid of the root ball as well. To clean as much dirt as possible off of it before cutting into it, I'm thinking a shovel and good rinsing with a garden hose. Does anyone have other recommendations?

My neighbor needed to take down a Maple tree. (sewer line trouble, tree was on top of the line, tree needed to go)

They took the tree down, but left about 8-10ft of the trunk so the contractors could use it to push the tree over. I'm getting the wood.
View attachment 697334

I fear that they will want me to get rid of the root ball as well. To clean as much dirt as possible off of it before cutting into it, I'm thinking a shovel and good rinsing with a garden hose. Does anyone have other recommendations?
A friend with a big bobcat and grapel bucket and trailer? How far away are you I got a beater chain for the 7910 lol.

A friend with a big bobcat and grapel bucket and trailer? How far away are you I got a beater chain for the 7910 lol.
I'm in Mechanicsburg.

I figured that I would just let my 245 chew on it for a while and hopefully not hit any rocks. The bar I have on the 245 is 3/8, 0.050, 92 link. If your chain is 93 link, I can get an 8 point drive rim.

I'm in Mechanicsburg.

I figured that I would just let my 245 chew on it for a while and hopefully not hit any rocks. The bar I have on the 245 is 3/8, 0.050, 92 link. If your chain is 93 link, I can get an 8 point drive rim.
Biggest I got is a 24. But it will get it done. Get ahold of me if you want a hand.

Biggest I got is a 24. But it will get it done. Get ahold of me if you want a hand.
Thanks for the offer. Hell, I still owe you the return favor for the maple tree last spring. You're going to cash them in all at once, aren't you?
In the winter, my outdoor work is usually limited to weekends, and the weather for this coming weekend doesn't look so good. If it sits for a couple of weeks, it sits for a couple of weeks. Add snow and it may be there for a bit longer. I will be in touch.

Do you have a BobCat and trailer? :D

Back