Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pick out the oaks if any and put it off to the side.
I dont have any dry. Hardest thing in the shed is ash and its the last of the 1st round of scrounging I did 3yrs ago. Most of the pieces are 12ish inches long because I was splitting by hand and was dealing with some gnarly fence line trees that refused to split. First time I cut into oak was last winter and its all outside in the "1st stage drying area." I dont think it would burn well. We had a really wet summer so the wood outside stayed wet alot of the time.

Now , if you had cut SPRUCE this past spring and summer ....
I did last spring. Two whole trees. Burnt those 2 whole trees before December. I do wish I had more of it though. Burns down to nothing. I burnt for a month and didn't have to shovel the stove. With hardwoods I have to shovel out the stove every day.

Now I won't stop till I am 3 seasons ahead in preparation for an EPA stove. Am thinking an Ideal Steel hybrid reviews are good but claimed 12-14 hour burn times might be an exaggeration. But 10 hours Would make life better.
Good idea to be ahead pretty far. I tried burning damp wood before I knew what properly seasoned wood was like. It was terrible. Extremely frustrating.

Englander says 8-10hrs burntime in the NC30 but I have never got over 4-5hrs with anything I have EVER put in it, but ash is the best thing I have had so far that was actually 18" splits, and after a load like that I have to shovel out coals to be able to reload. Lotsa coals good for overnight but not so great for fast reloading.

Stove we have now has to be tended regular. Hourly pretty much in January. But it's in the kitchen so its gonna be more about how it fits than anything. Also like to do some cooking on it. So that's another requirement. Being able to throttle it down will be a real plus in warmer weather. But burn time has become an issue recently so new old smoke dragons are out.

Back at home guys, had an awesome trip, I’ll post some pics soon. It’s taken me quite some time to catch up on all the posts. Gone from wearing thermals and polar fleece is southern Tasmania to record temps here. They reached an Australian record last night in the west of my state hottest overnight temp, 35.9deg C or 96.6deg F. Hope you guys in the northern hemisphere are keeping warm...... but not that warm.

View attachment 697543 Lets try to find something for the big saws to play in today.

JM - what size is the Echo and model? I like all my Echo equipment. do u have a pref as to like, or performance or power between the two? I guess the Husky is bigger?... I like the set up! :)

Back at home guys, had an awesome trip, I’ll post some pics soon. It’s taken me quite some time to catch up on all the posts. Gone from wearing thermals and polar fleece is southern Tasmania to record temps here. They reached an Australian record last night in the west of my state hottest overnight temp, 35.9deg C or 96.6deg F. Hope you guys in the northern hemisphere are keeping warm...... but not that warm.

43deg where I was and up around 50 deg out west apparently - glad I don’t live there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here ya can see how the baffle is sagging and starting to make full loading tough. This will burn for bit over 2 hours. Figure a repair on the baffle is doable but it would still only hold heat 2-3 hours completely shut down.
Are VC is pretty neat up with warped parts and all I'll put some picks up tomorrow if I let it go out to clean.

JM - what size is the Echo and model? I like all my Echo equipment. do u have a pref as to like, or performance or power between the two? I guess the Husky is bigger?... I like the set up! :)
The husky is a 7910 domar with a husky bar on it. No husky dealers near me wouldn't buy one anyway. The echo is a 590. Stock they run pretty much like an 036 stihl. I like the echos and have realized paying a couple hundred dollars more for stihl or husky in the same size isn't worth it for anyone just cutting firewood.

Are VC is pretty neat up with warped parts and all I'll put some picks up tomorrow if I let it go out to clean.

The husky is a 7910 domar with a husky bar on it. No husky dealers near me wouldn't buy one anyway. The echo is a 590. Stock they run pretty much like an 036 stihl. I like the echos and have realized paying a couple hundred dollars more for stihl or husky in the same size isn't worth it for anyone just cutting firewood.
I guess a Dolmar not worth it either...aaa?

Balmy 36F here. Easy to keep the house warm like this.

Was 3°F when I got up here. That's still not bad for January in my book. Gonna get windy this afternoon though. Not likely to see any of the snow though. Tough year for snow sports here.

Couple Buddy's buy and sell snowmobiles and parts. Not selling a lot of parts or sleds again this year. No snow no wrecks.

oic, thanks for the info. I have a comm'l model Echo trimmer. caged bearings, CR release, bigger rod, etc... its a hummer, pun intended. and of course, I really do like my lil Echo TH CS-271. runs like a lil ported saw and with a tweak of add'l timing, too. when I scrounged my summer oak deal... I cut some pretty big trunks into smllr lengths with it. the tree crew were using stihls. they saw me going thru it with that 'toy' like hot knife thru butter... and several came over to ck it out... "...pequno, pero muy fuerte!" I said. they shook heads... :yes::yes::yes: 'si, si, senor! si, si... muy bueno'

Latest posts

Back