Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They dry quick and are easier to split, little harder to get stacked straight though[emoji38].
The larger log was dead standing ash that was taken out a few yrs ago(hard as a rock), the smaller one is a stick of cherry that was green when taken down a couple yrs ago, the inside is still a bit moist it was on top of my green log pile so it should be the driest. I throw the cookies in the wheelbarrow and bring them right in the house, let the snow melt off and throw them into the fire. They work real well for reducing the coals as they are already thin and all the fresh air blows under them when the draft is open. If you let them sit on top of the stove they curl up like a bowl, it looks pretty cool.
I like burnt cookies :sweet:.
Here's a 254 I was playing with the same day iirc.
It's running an 18" round ground chain with a little to much hook, she was a bit grabby, but cutting fast for semi chisel :yes:.
That thing sounds like a bunch of angry bees!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

View attachment 714702 I like the isocore in the big stuff. I still follow Steve's advice though. If it takes more then 4 hits get the saw.

I have an old 8lb generic maul that the wooden handle cracked. Good enough excuse for me to
get the isoscore. Almost had the axe but put it back.....it looked partially assembled? No orange portion on the handle and the bottom was open?

Attachments

• A9DB3D05-4C05-416B-AC90-F69B49F9D19B.jpeg
    A9DB3D05-4C05-416B-AC90-F69B49F9D19B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 7B5A1D0C-3EB0-4AAF-A402-971B7D1C0A3C.jpeg
    7B5A1D0C-3EB0-4AAF-A402-971B7D1C0A3C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
I have an old 8lb generic maul that the wooden handle cracked. Good enough excuse for me to
get the isoscore. Almost had the axe but put it back.....it looked partially assembled? No orange portion on the handle and the bottom was open?
20190114_103655.jpg That's the older style works just as well just not as pretty.

I cut up some rounds yesterday with the 441 that I bought at a government auction. I got it a couple of months ago and thought I had done a check over/ service on it. I guess I didn't, blew the spark plug out and pulled all the threads with it. It's a dirty looking mess. Putting a new top on it as I'm not a fan of heli coils. Good thing I got it cheap. These are about 60 logs worth cut to 16" to sell next fall.
20190210_160213.jpg 20190210_160200.jpg 20190210_160157.jpg 20190210_191157.jpg

That thing sounds like a bunch of angry bees!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
That's funny, I just listened on my phone to without watching it, they do sound a bit upset.
Glad it's got a screen on the muffler still lol.
I need to check and see how many rpms it's turning, I usually run 2 series saws fat as they seem to have really good torque that way, this one likes being turned up a bit.

No orange portion on the handle and the bottom was open?
The Fiskars chopping axe was designed with a hollow handle for head speed, handle flex, and it actually dampens vibrations from an over-strike. They are a composite handle and warrantied against breakage.

The Fiskars chopping axe was designed with a hollow handle for head speed, handle flex, and it actually dampens vibrations from an over-strike. They are a composite handle and warrantied against breakage.

Handle warranty is a big reason I got one. I’ve ben through a few maul handles and like the aspect of getting it fixed if needed.

Best axe for the money in the world.

Absolutely amazing splitting abilities

Buy a few of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That may be true, but it may or may not stop the handle from breaking on an overstrike.
I like mine in the right wood, just like saws, I'd rather not be stuck with only one axe :).

Over-strikes are for amateurs. I never over-strike ;)
You're the man :cheers:.
Not sure if saw my post a few yrs ago about mine getting broke. A friend of mines son was using it and I saw him miss the wood, it just snapped right off, wasn't real cold out and he certainly didn't hit the handle as hard as I had in the past :omg:. Fiskars sent me a new one right away :numberone:.

Left Coast Supplies has them at about $91 and I like dealing with Gregg so will probably go that route.
Guys, while it's not 100% conclusive, my digging around today makes me believe LCS is goneburger. Sadly.
California company records show the registration was cancelled December last year. They were involved in a pretty serious legal case with Lucas sawmills from what I can gather. Gregg hasn't been on AS since August last year and isn't answering my PM's. The site is still up but not returning my emails and I don't know how they can trade under the Left Coast Supplies, LLC company name it still says on their website even though the company records says it was cancelled a few months ago. There's another company started by one of the LCS directors last year (not Gregg, but someone called Zane) with an address on the same street, selling Peterson Sawmills. I don't know if that company (Sawyer's Choice, LLC) has taken over LCS or one or more directors just split off to do their own thing, or? But I'm a bit wary of trying to order anything from the LCS site given all of this.

Unless anyone has actually done so recently and received their orders?

So, just a heads-up for anyone who might be ordering from them in the future. I really hope Gregg has found a good way through the mess.

James, I don't go by the # of swings with the Fiskars, but by the sound. If it is starting to go, I won't quit! I'll walk a line right across the piece. Accuracy (staying on the line) is key.
Mike i told James 4 hits and if it doesn't start to go grab the saw. just because i know he likes to :chainsaw: :laugh:. old age tends to make me a little smarter.

Latest posts

Back