Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coupla pics of my stash. The wood stacked along this 4 1/2 ft page wire fence is for next winter. The wood in the big pile is for 20/21. Probably at least 2 full cord in That pile, maybe 2 1/2. Small stack of rounds just waiting for me to pull the splitter out. Might have to wait a while.
37a5427408e6de8e66b4a4f67339295a.jpg
e3ae5229bd8f2b85349d362a3a5c64b0.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Cuppa tea, lie down to escape the sun then grab my last and third snatch block and try to get the first of three red dragon logs to the landing. Haven't got any way to get lift so am trying brute force. Two blocks gives me about 10t if force and we reached a stalemate at the steepest part of the hill, about 6' from the landing. And that's with the smallest of the three logs!

Will probably blow the whole weekend but if I can get it all to the landing without breaking anything that'll be a win.

Still amazes me what Nemo and the uniforest winch can do, with the help of some mechanical advantage. Wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the farmers that have stopped in over the last week or so to see what hopeless task the idjit with the little tractor amongst the big gums is trying to do, loses their bet this weekend. Would be a change from me losing money.

Second picture resembles our wild and some ornamental apple trees. Was this harder to cut than maple/birch?

Could it have been planted? Or is it in the wild?

Not harder to cut than maple/birch imo. Yard tree so probably planted. I split a piece with a maul. It split like butter.

Is there anyone here with an Echo top handle and a Makita battery chainsaw? Am trying to decide between them. Mainly for small clearance jobs and trimming boards when milling. Too often lately I've had to start the 261 for just a few trimming cuts. Am not a fan of putting 'cold miles' on engines, but might be the occasional day where I'd burn through every battery I have if I was using a Makita chainsaw if on a clearance job and couldn't recharge batteries. Come to think of it, I just had one die on me, so might be time for a few more. Ouch.

I was thinking, leaves this time of year? Green or dried up? Something in the peach, plum line maybe. But about the only thing I know that would still be holding leaves yet would be beech, possibly pin oak. A picture of the leaves, maybe?

No leaves on the tree, all dried up and on the ground. I will try to get a pic tomorrow.

Yellow/Green heart wood looks like Locust.

The bark doesn’t match the black locust I have seen, but that doesn’t rule it out. The tree service said they thought it might be soapberry. But the tree had no berries. I’ve cut soapberry before and they have berries on the limbs all year as far As I know; and soapberry is very heavy, and smells like soap iirc.

Bark looks exactly like mine. I counted the annual rings on yours because it's about the same size as mine. I got about 25 rings, and that's about how long ago I planted mine. So, I'd say the rate of growth is similar. I'd take pics tomorrow but we have a friend in hospice and we are going to see him. If I get home before dark I'll see if I can get some up. Did you see the limb structure before they took it down. They have a very distinct growth pattern.

Is there anyone here with an Echo top handle and a Makita battery chainsaw? Am trying to decide between them. Mainly for small clearance jobs and trimming boards when milling. Too often lately I've had to start the 261 for just a few trimming cuts. Am not a fan of putting 'cold miles' on engines, but might be the occasional day where I'd burn through every battery I have if I was using a Makita chainsaw if on a clearance job and couldn't recharge batteries. Come to think of it, I just had one die on me, so might be time for a few more. Ouch.
Never really thought about cold miles on a saw. Normally start saw and maybe 30 seconds and start cutting.

Never really thought about cold miles on a saw. Normally start saw and maybe 30 seconds and start cutting.
It may be a 5 second cut. That's it for another hour, rinse and repeat. If sub 2" I use the Makita skilly, but otherwise have to use the 261. Would rather not when such short durations.

Thinking about it some more though, with either of the aforementioned wee saws, I'd have to start using picco chain and I've only recently been able to move to standardise on 3/8 across everything, which is great. Not sure I want to go back to having an odd chain out.

Cuppa tea, lie down to escape the sun then grab my last and third snatch block and try to get the first of three red dragon logs to the landing. Haven't got any way to get lift so am trying brute force. Two blocks gives me about 10t if force and we reached a stalemate at the steepest part of the hill, about 6' from the landing. And that's with the smallest of the three logs!

Will probably blow the whole weekend but if I can get it all to the landing without breaking anything that'll be a win.

Still amazes me what Nemo and the uniforest winch can do, with the help of some mechanical advantage. Wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the farmers that have stopped in over the last week or so to see what hopeless task the idjit with the little tractor amongst the big gums is trying to do, loses their bet this weekend. Would be a change from me losing money.
Any way you could use a winch? My buddy and I are rigging up a receiver/hitch mount for a winch to get the logs out of the woods so it’s easier to cut and/or drag out with the truck. I can post pics when completed. One thing I have used is a cordless reciprocating saw for occasional cuts as your talking.

Any way you could use a winch? My buddy and I are rigging up a receiver/hitch mount for a winch to get the logs out of the woods so it’s easier to cut and/or drag out with the truck. I can post pics when completed. One thing I have used is a cordless reciprocating saw for occasional cuts as your talking.
Have a 4t PTO winch on Nemo but it's probably not pulling more than 3t before clutch slips. It's impossible to even move a log with a direct pull. Two blocks gave me 3x mechanical advantage which got the smallest red dragon log to just below the top of the slope but that was it. But the third block=4x3ish t = 12ish t pull got that and the second, bigger log to the landing. But that's maxing out the winch so I'm not sure how I'll go tomorrow when trying to get the last (butt log) up. These aren't massive logs, but the heaviest I've ever skull dragged up a crazy steep slope like this. Really surprised how well the first two went. But even with three blocks, everything feels right on the edge of disintegration.

Thanks for the recipro idea. I have one and some long blades but might be painfully slow in the bigger cuts. Might have to keep using 261 around mill just leave all trimming to end of the day and do a batch.

Trouble is the 261, being somewhat modified, is really too loud on urban jobs. The last time, on perhaps 6 toothpicks in
Suburbia I got told off and threatened with a shut down. So, still needing something for those gigs but probably another 6 months until might be back in the concrete jungle pruning trees to ground level.

Back