Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spot on mate, I thought it would have been a rippa in the bush but was sadly disapointed to be honest. I do love the load capacity of em but, that is awesome but a PITA to get something out of (you have to climb in the bloody thing) which for a fat bastard like me ain't gonna happen:D
I have a three step folding step ladder in the bed, just to get in my stock F150 4X4.

I have a three step folding step ladder in the bed, just to get in my stock F150 4X4.
I do the "sit on the tailgate and roll in" manoeuvre. It's very graceful accompanied with the prerequisite grunts. Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

The new engine and clutch work good on the conveyor, it is just above an idle. It does move faster than the electric but I could lower the rpms abit and it would be about the same speed. I should have made the supports a little stronger as there is a little too much movement and the belt slips if I idle it down too low. I'll stiffen it up sometime. A picture of the splitter motor too. If you look at the first set of pictures you can see the angle irons I mentioned earlier. I should have set a couple of pieces on them to show how handy it is to stage rounds on them, I'll do that next time I split. The pieces stay right where you put them then just round them onto the beam. Anyone who is thinking about the auto cycle valve I say go for it. I kept putting it off thinking it was a lot of money and not worth the hassle. It really does speed things up and on my splitter I think it is actually safer as you aren't trying to balance rounds and hold the lever at the same time. There is a learning curve though because you have to get used to moving the lever the opposite way you were before. And being able to just use the single lever and operate as normal is handy too.
View attachment 717589 View attachment 717590
upload_2019-2-22_10-12-6.png

I love the "180cc / cm cubes" label.

"All your base are belong to us" (still).

That's what's needed I reckon, my other mates got a New Ford Ranger and it's a bit the same, you have to get in it to get anything out of it which to me is a PITA as I like to be able to reach over the side and get what I need out of it without having to climb all over the thing to get a beer out of the fridge etc or to unload the wood.

My mate and I went out yesterday to start on cutting firewood for his wifes place, some of it was that hard to split (hit 20 times before it split) I said we will be bringing out the 40t long splitter for this lot - he agreed LOL.

It's White Gum that's been twisted in the grain from the wind over the years which really makes for hard splitting, we also got some stringy and peppermint and of course we found a nice Red Bellied Blacksnake sunning itself on the top of the wood heap. We initually tried pulling the logs out of the wood heap with the Landcruiser ute but it wouldn't budge them so my mate just climbed in and cut it were it lay.

We still have a heap to cut out from there and that will be done tomorrow, today we are cutting on another property we have access to so will be out there today.

JUXyQDWl.jpg

LI3HYG1l.jpg

Whenever possible I try to split right out of the trailer. It makes it nice as they are already half way there. I'll try to get a couple pictures today of how I set up. It may be a little different today because of the snow being piled hp where my trailer was which is where I'm now splitting into the pile at.
This is an elm I cut down for a neighbor(not sure I posted pics here or not), he said I could have some and I was thinking I had enough, but it just kept calling me so I went and cut a bit of a load yesterday. You can see part of the stump on the right side of the picture. Theres another load with about this much wood there still, it's probably just under a cord, the trailer is 20x6.5.
My kids helped me load it so that made it go pretty quick.
View attachment 717638
Thanks chipper1. Will probably end up that way too but the sort of trailer I need is $4k here, in a well-used state. If only there was actually some $ to be made in this line of work I might be able to afford it one day :)

Thanks chipper1. Will probably end up that way too but the sort of trailer I need is $4k here. If only there was actually some $ to be made in this line of work I might be able to afford it one day :)
I just start out with a smaller trailer that I can get a great deal on, and then buy a little bigger one and sell the lesser one, then do that again, hopefully in the process I can make a buck when selling each trailer as well as with the trailer and get to use it for my personal use also. The goal is to not "have to have it now" as then you can wait for a deal, the more needy you are the more you usually end up paying.

I didn't even start splitting the wood on the trailer yet, but I did manage to burn up a tank of fuel in the splitter just cleaning up the splitting area lol.
I did get everything set up and ready to start splitting off the trailer, but my phone was in the house in my jacket. I left it inside when one of my neighbors came over with his little homeowner saw that had a very dull semi chisel chain with big safety bumpers on it :surprised3:. I got it all sharpened up and then fired the saw up, it wouldn't stay running as it was loading up when idling and was running way rich. I asked him when the last time was he cleaned the air filter he just looked at me, and I just looked at him :nofunny:. Grabbed the air hose and blew out the little felt air cleaner and the saw started to clean up and run better, it actually cut through a 6" piece of wood. He was happy with it, I would have taken a can opener to the muffler and fattened it up myself, but what do you expect for $110:lol:.

Latest posts

Back