Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a three step folding step ladder in the bed, just to get in my stock F150 4X4.
So tell me do they have massive truck parking spots for when you do have to get a loaf of bread down at the shops. Here in Aus you’d literally have to take up two spots.

I only rip the bigger ones down enough to make them easier to get on the splitter,

standard.jpg

Then let the splitter do it's thing, shoving them through the 4-way wedge...

standard.jpg

They make a LOT of excellent firewood fast,

standard.jpg

Sometimes I don't rip them at all, and just roll them right onto the splitters beam,

standard.jpg

I like those big chunks, like I said, LOT'S of really GREAT firewood fast!!

standard.jpg

SR

Cut up a tsumura bar to learn more about the way they mill the bars for the epoxy filler. In case anyone else was interested:

Notice how the edges of the recesses are tapered, like a dovetail joint? Even if the adhesive bond fails the epoxy isn't going anywhere.
Also, it's interesting they not only maintain a direct metal connection across the width of the bar but also longitudinally in the middle like a spine.

tsumuraInserts.jpg

tsumuraInserts2.jpg

I have 2 super dutys. F250 and F350 Dually. Dont put them in the mud. Pavement, frozen ground or completely dry ground. If you put them in the mud you will be stuck. They are way too heavy. My dually weighs 7,100lbs empty.

My 3500 single rear wheel gas truck ( 7,000 lbs curb weight) does very well in the mud. Just slightly oversized mud tires and re-geared. Its the only truck ive ever had that I have not gotten stuck and am not afraid that i may get it stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did some more splitting this afternoon. About 1 1/2 hours of splitting. Splitter used just over a gallon of fuel and the conveyor maybe used 2 cups of fuel. Pictures show the angle iron where I stage the next rounds to be split while the auto cycle is working. The angles keep the rounds from being caught by the pusher while it's going back in. I use the stone fork bucket to push up the rounds and to move all the splits away from the conveyor.
20190222_160818.jpg 20190222_160802.jpg 20190222_151918.jpg 20190222_174625.jpg 20190222_180042.jpg

Been out again today cutting wood with a few mates and will be out again tomorrow doing the same. It's a mixture of Stringy, Peppermint and White Gum. All good woods that put out nice heat, the white gums a bastard to split when it's been in a windy area (the grain gets twisted) it can take upto 20 hits from a long splitter to get one piece of it! LOL I leave that for the fit and abled among us and that sure ain't me!

BZeXc1hh.jpg

TCCGYkGh.jpg

H4BN0tWh.jpg

CiWnKV6h.jpg

xS3PBRwh.jpg

SXytJmth.jpg

R3q8cYsh.jpg

7Wj89xxh.jpg

w0jmGvJh.jpg

So tell me do they have massive truck parking spots for when you do have to get a loaf of bread down at the shops. Here in Aus you’d literally have to take up two spots.
they used to make truck parking spots years ago. not anymore. i take 2 spots when i take the F-250 for groceries. To many uncaring people that just open their doors to wide.:dumb: i only ever got 1 note that said i park like a girl.:laugh:

Been out again today cutting wood with a few mates and will be out again tomorrow doing the same. It's a mixture of Stringy, Peppermint and White Gum. All good woods that put out nice heat, the white gums a bastard to split when it's been in a windy area (the grain gets twisted) it can take upto 20 hits from a long splitter to get one piece of it! LOL I leave that for the fit and abled among us and that sure ain't me!

BZeXc1hh.jpg

TCCGYkGh.jpg

H4BN0tWh.jpg

CiWnKV6h.jpg

xS3PBRwh.jpg

SXytJmth.jpg

R3q8cYsh.jpg

7Wj89xxh.jpg

w0jmGvJh.jpg
I want to see more of that truck / truck cover in the last pic.
Edit: on closer inspection that might be a carport. Damn these old eyes! ;)

I have 10 racks, or ricks that hold a facecord each, under my deck. Two rows of five racks. I usually use about 8 of them per season so I have 2 leftover which puts those two right into January-February the following year. When I stack those back two racks, I make sure it's ash, elm, maple etc. Anyways, due to our two weeks of autumn and straight into winter with some cold days in December, I am past the February wood and into March's which contains a lot of Poplar. It's been mild this past week so it's easy to heat the house. I've been able to get good stovetop temps and burn time out of it, I just have to load more in. Last night was -4C and normally 2 good chunks of ash would suffice, I used 4 pieces of Poplar. Same result, warm house and coals in the morning. Conclusion; Poplar is good wood, you just need more of it. Plus it's super easy to split.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Did some more splitting this afternoon. About 1 1/2 hours of splitting. Splitter used just over a gallon of fuel and the conveyor maybe used 2 cups of fuel. Pictures show the angle iron where I stage the next rounds to be split while the auto cycle is working. The angles keep the rounds from being caught by the pusher while it's going back in. I use the stone fork bucket to push up the rounds and to move all the splits away from the conveyor.
View attachment 717810 View attachment 717812 View attachment 717814 View attachment 717816 View attachment 717817

Thats a few DAYS of work for me. Full days

BZeXc1hh.jpg

TCCGYkGh.jpg

H4BN0tWh.jpg

CiWnKV6h.jpg

xS3PBRwh.jpg

SXytJmth.jpg

R3q8cYsh.jpg

7Wj89xxh.jpg

w0jmGvJh.jpg

Does the peppermint actually smell like peppermint?

That would be cool.

Pun intended

Back