Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got out and started some saws yesterday for the first time in months! It was sweet! I bought a couple dandies from SVK and I hadn't got a chance to run them. Knocked some snow off a log and made about 10 cuts. Felt nice. Still be a month before mud season is over and I can get back to it. Was so excited I forgot to even take pics.

C'mon man, that's the most important thing!

Went to ask about a big maple the local cemetery took down earlier and was told no. 20190318_145937.jpg So I stopped at my spot and split a little wood before getting my daughter from school.20190318_142344.jpg Found this guy hanging out under a round. 20190318_150007.jpg Lots of wood left. Need to talk the FIL into letting me bring the tractor down here.

@KiwiBro, you ever find a clutch cover yet? I can find a couple red ones, around $45, and ship to you if needed.
Thanks for the follow up on this. Haven't found one. Tried to stitch something together with homelite but the trail went cold. Haven't been home during working hours to see if the local alu fabricators could tig my one back together but when I do and if they can't I'llbe in touch.

Thanks again for thinking of this. Very much appreciated.

Just courious to know you guys with wells is this your only water supply for house, drinking ect. Here in rural areas everyone in’s on rain tank water. I guess it’s not an option below a certain temperature.
Mike I would imagine your well is worth a small fortune.
Are well covers all are water needs. Most people around me are the same.

1) All our water comes from the well.

2) Don't know if it is worth a small fortune, but it cost me one. To re drill deeper and replace the pump and go to 3 phase electric was just under $20,000. That is a He** of a lot of after tax money!

(As a self employed person I pay Fed, NY and both halves of Soc Sec! Do the math, it is not pretty!)

Drill a well 613ft deep and pull the bit out and blow dust off of it if you want a sinking crying moment.. Then call a company that does hydrofracking and let them hydrofrack every 50ft starting at the bottom and stopping below the well casing. All the while just hoping that the fracking produces water. No guarantees poking holes in the ground. Been there, done that, and own the tshirt. On a positive note, I ended up with 5gpm and the fracking improved my neighbors well across the street. My neighbor had two wells and had to swap the pump over at least once a year. The fracking made his well muddy, but he never ran out of water again. Later I ended up drilling three more wells on the same piece of property before getting a well I could use to furnish some spec houses. My first well hit rock at 200ft and continued thru granite for 4oo more ft without getting water. The other wells, not even a hundred yards away, we went 400ft and never hit anything to set a casing in. Well across the street from those wells was 800ft deep and barely useable and then just up the hill a little way is a well thats 200ft with 20+gpm.

Thanks for the follow up on this. Haven't found one. Tried to stitch something together with homelite but the trail went cold. Haven't been home during working hours to see if the local alu fabricators could tig my one back together but when I do and if they can't I'llbe in touch.

Thanks again for thinking of this. Very much appreciated.
I missed something? What Homelite part do you need? I've got piles of them. If I have the part it's yours for shipping.

I missed something? What Homelite part do you need? I've got piles of them. If I have the part it's yours for shipping.
Sorry, I should have been more accurate and typed 'the user Mac&Homelite'.
On a different note, today marks the very first day in what must be at least 5 years of use my wee Subaru Robbin engine on the splitter had every given me greif. Even then, it's just a fuel line. That thing has been hammering away for thousands of hours so I can't really complain about losing half a day to sort. This wee engine owes me nothing but now small suby Robbin engines are not being made ill have to decide on what other 6hp replacement engine to put on or keep on a shelf untill needed. Any suggestions for replacing this 6hp Subaru Robbin ex17 fellas? I think Kawasaki bought the IP off Fuji heavy industries so maybe they have a clone in their line up.

HOLY CRAP!! all the wood you guys cut and you can't cut a stick to find water? :buttkick: :laugh:
dowsing-rod%20(1).jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

EDIT: ash and willow work best. no spruce.:rolleyes:

HOLY CRAP!! all the wood you guys cut and you can't cut a stick to find water? :buttkick: :laugh:
dowsing-rod%20(1).jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

EDIT: ash and willow work best. no spruce.:rolleyes:
Peach works best. Some places around me just dont have easy water. I know of more than one well that water runs out the top year round. One guy even capped the well and runs the water straight into his house with no pump. Know another guy that ran a line and has 80psi of pressure in his house, with no pump. and then there are folks that have my kind of luck, little to none when it comes to wells. Andthen there is the well that ran some sort of rred stuff out while drilling, it looked like strawberry syrup, never seen anything like it and it only lasted for a few minutes of drilling. That well was a bust.

Back