Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrounged some Maple limbs for a camp fire, man they burned hot. Felt like my face would burn before a hotdog was cooked on a stick.
460114ee987d90e997e10e5cbc15bb79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife is weak. I fear tomorrow morning when she looks at it and realizes that it can't be used for my boiler wood because I cut it all 32" long. She sent me to buy a side x side and I brought this home. I have no time to ride it anyway, my Can Am Renegade just sits in the barn. Her birthday was last week, yup I never got her anything but she did say she didn't want anything. View attachment 729656 View attachment 729657 .

brand new!!! :D

>sixonetonoffun, it was a decent deal and I was weak. It only has 57 hrs on it,

new in my books! :yes:

Scrounged some Maple limbs for a camp fire, man they burned hot. Felt like my face would burn before a hotdog was cooked on a stick.
460114ee987d90e997e10e5cbc15bb79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice setting B-S, thanks for posting it up. I enjoyed the view. ur round pile is looking good!

Got the bike going today. 80+F here. VFW in Baltimore, Ohio. Cool history behind the bird. Look it up.

Had to look close before I saw the identity My first assignment after Russian language school was St. Lawrence Island 1955. About 6 months before I got there the Russians had shot down one of those almost over the station, Crew survived the crash but were in bad shape. The aircraft was on a regular patrol route down the East side of Kamchatka and was on our side of the 'line'. A bit later the next patrol was sent, russians tried again but a flight of F89s was waiting orbiting behind a mountain on the island. They popped up and the Russians turned tail.

My wife is weak. I fear tomorrow morning when she looks at it and realizes that it can't be used for my boiler wood because I cut it all 32" long. She sent me to buy a side x side and I brought this home. I have no time to ride it anyway, my Can Am Renegade just sits in the barn. Her birthday was last week, yup I never got her anything but she did say she didn't want anything. View attachment 729656 View attachment 729657 .
What would you like us to have engraved on your tombstone?

Grab the ash. Is dense as Oak and burns hotter ime. S' posed to split very easily.... But not so ime!
I agree with not as easy as they say to split. Used my splitter for some big ash rounds I got at Steve's. Iv split apple, mulberry,oak,hickory,and locust since the last time I used the splitter. That ash was having no part of the axe.

After the rain gets cleared out next month or so I'll make it up your way with the boy and some logs to hang out.
Sounds like a plan to me!

On those nice days I've been trying to fix my log hauling running gear! I was pulling doubles, snaking them through the woods, both over loaded, when the back gear rubbed on a tree and I bent the bejesus out of that corner! When we started working on it, the wheel was nearly flat on the ground!

standard.jpg

I got my wife to put the heat to it, while I was pulling on it with a come-a-long,

standard.jpg

That got it, to where I could get it to the shop,

standard.jpg

and after some more work, I used a hi lift jack to help out too,

standard.jpg

Here it is now, just about ready for some welding,

standard.jpg

It's been a lot bigger project than I thought it would be!

SR

Had to look close before I saw the identity My first assignment after Russian language school was St. Lawrence Island 1955. About 6 months before I got there the Russians had shot down one of those almost over the station, Crew survived the crash but were in bad shape. The aircraft was on a regular patrol route down the East side of Kamchatka and was on our side of the 'line'. A bit later the next patrol was sent, russians tried again but a flight of F89s was waiting orbiting behind a mountain on the island. They popped up and the Russians turned tail.
Wait. You were on assignment in 1955, its 2019, and you're out slingin saws?!

Wait. You were on assignment in 1955, its 2019, and you're out slingin saws?!

Yep, 84 lasst month. Just came in from manually splitting a couple wagon loads. That type of stuff is WHY I am still able to sling saws, mauls and sledges. I do 10+ cord a year, sell 7 or 8 and use the rest to make my "stash" of black locust last. I am about to work myself out of a cutting spot though and need to find another one - I have feelers out but no bites as yet.

Yep, 84 lasst month. Just came in from manually splitting a couple wagon loads. That type of stuff is WHY I am still able to sling saws, mauls and sledges. I do 10+ cord a year, sell 7 or 8 and use the rest to make my "stash" of black locust last. I am about to work myself out of a cutting spot though and need to find another one - I have feelers out but no bites as yet.
A veteran and a beast, you have my thanks and respect sir.

Today’s scrounge. Not actually firewood but related. Bought the Echo 400 from the guy because it wouldn’t cut. Wonder why? He must have decided to “adjust” the carb to try and “fix” it, carb was way off, couldn’t even get it to start. New clutch hub, bearing, dumped old fuel, adjusted carb and it runs like new. I have $100 total in it.

Attachments

• 5ECDF2B5-7222-4069-97FF-73F1FB6A6A0B.jpeg
    5ECDF2B5-7222-4069-97FF-73F1FB6A6A0B.jpeg
    871.2 KB · Views: 28
Back