Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@MustangMike got me into the habit of "nesting" similar saws which means the saws face each other and the bars (preferably in scabbards) go between the handlebar and recoil. Certain models will actually nest with a snug fit so you can pick both of them up by one handle. Very safe manner to transport saws and saves room too.

I know a guy who found a high value saw on the highway. He was looking to sell it. I told him for karma's sake he should at very least put an ad out to see if he could locate the rightful owner and then sell it if he wasn't able to return it.
Saw should at least gone to a foster owner, who would care for it properly . . .

I cannot stand the smell of gasoline in a vehicle.
Go electric!

Philbert

When I hauled older saws in my Yukon I would drain them before transportation. Then put a sheet of plastic down and a chunk of cardboard on top of that.
Some guys make fun of us folks who transport saws in plastic cases in our family cars. If it was a 'work truck', that might be different. I line my cases with oil absorbent pads, which work so much better than corrugated cardboard, newspaper, paper towels, etc.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-saw-diapers-keep-your-cases-cleaner.73699/

Philbert

Someone (was it you?) hauled saws in small rubbermaid totes and had a slit cut through the side in case they wanted to haul saw with bar attached. Great idea although takes up a lot of space.
There were a few threads on this - storage / transport cases for saws that did not fit in the standard ones. Rubbermaid style totes, old beverage coolers, etc. They work, are lighter than anything made out of plywood, and are easy to clean. Even old luggage!

Some do take up a lot of space, but can be filled with a lot of other stuff (bar oil in quarts, spare chains / parts, wedges, gloves, etc.). The rectangular, Husqvarna style 'Power Boxes' stack and pack better IMO than the shaped, STIHL / Poulan stye cases. Space is often not a big deal if hauling or storing a reasonable number of saws; I know that does not apply to this forum.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/carry-case-for-a-large-saw.202923/

Philbert

I think we need a new thread on this . . .
Used luggage is essentially free at garage / estate sales and thrift stores. Expensive to buy good stuff new.

But I have taken some of my old, distressed 'roll-aboards', stripped out all the satin lining, and used them to carry boots, PPE, etc. during travel. I was happy to use some of them one time, but several will just not die. I have carried tools and training materials in them to training sessions. An old housemate kept his oxy-acetlyene torches and hoses in one. Also a way to 'camouflage' good stuff in a ratty old Samsonite. The hard side golf club cases in that thread started as a joke, but . . .

No reason that a small, American Tourister case cannot hold a top-handled saw and accessories? Or organize an electric saw, along with batteries and the charger?

A lot of good, used duffel bags go cheaply too. One of my favorite scores was a heavy-duty, hockey duffel on wheels that I travel to disaster responses with. Good to live in 'The State of Hockey'!

This certainly belongs in a 'scrounging' thread.

Philbert

I really like the husky saw box a lot but dont want to buy one and im not sure it would hold all my stuff[emoji1787][emoji1787]

My saw is always just on the floor of my cab and then there is a bucket in the bed of my truck that has this on it[emoji3596][emoji3596][emoji3596]. I use it for bar oil jug, wedges and what not and all the tools i need for the saw. Spark plugs, chains. Stump bar and chain ..yada yada....Works very well. Then my axe is just laying in the bed.

Roll up tonneau cover keeps it all out of sight.

https://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-...=bucket+caddy&qid=1557764651&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I can tell you for certain if you leave a saw, weed eater, other tool, jug of gas, etc, etc in the back of your truck and go into Walmart here, you will be lucky if your truck is still in the parking lot when you come out. You can lock your tools up insde your truck and they will just break out the windows and carry your stuff off. You cant even go in the house for a sandwich and leave your tractor in the field and be sure it will still be there when you are done eating.

I can tell you for certain if you leave a saw, weed eater, other tool, jug of gas, etc, etc in the back of your truck and go into Walmart here, you will be lucky if your truck is still in the parking lot when you come out. You can lock your tools up insde your truck and they will just break out the windows and carry your stuff off. You cant even go in the house for a sandwich and leave your tractor in the field and be sure it will still be there when you are done eating.
Do you attribute crime to locals or transplants?

I really like the husky saw box a lot but dont want to buy one and im not sure it would hold all my stuff.

I have bought some black, generic 'power boxes' for $20-$25 on sale at Menard's, Northern Tool, etc.

I have NEVER seen one used at a garage sale!

Philbert

I really like the husky saw box a lot but dont want to buy one and im not sure it would hold all my stuff[emoji1787][emoji1787]

I have received one as a chrismas gift. I love the concept and storage space, but what I dont like is that since this is not a 1 piece molded box (there's joints on the side and at the bottom), oil finds its way through the joints. So even if I carry my saw in the box, I cant carry it on the rear seat. I think I would have prefer the one piece molded box

I always see theses pictures of a truck load of wood and a saw laying amongst the wood in the back of the truck.

Do you guys drive down the road with it back there...,

Iv never had the guts or heart to do that. My saw ALWAYS rides in the cab.

Sometimes get it a cup of coffee in the morning to.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Sometimes. If I fill the bed of the truck they will ride with the wood in there. The bed is where I normally keep them while traveling.

Only modern saws that are known to not drool bar oil or seep fuel ride in the cab of my truck and that is only when the weather is bad. I honestly do not get worked up about a little bar oil but I cannot stand the smell of gasoline in a vehicle.

S
Go electric!

Philbert

Eh? it'll smell just as bad having leaked in an electric vehicle :p

Back