ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Scrounging firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by mainewoods, Feb 23, 2014.

1. dancan

dancan Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !

Hey Kiwi , what are the hardhats ?

2. dancan

sawride.jpg

Saws rode with me on the passenger seat more than once lol

3. U&A

U&A Addicted to ArboristSite

So what happens when you throw a log in there and a colony of ants come out into your van.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM

4. JustJeff

JustJeff Addicted to ArboristSite

I will put saws in the backseat of my truck on the floor. I have a nice weather mat but any saw that rides there will be on its side with the fill caps up just in case. I have also been known to jab the bar down into a load of wood and cruise home proudly displaying the saw and the fruits of my labor. Depends on the day.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

5. dancan

Since I'm not in Kiwi or Aussie , I ain't skittered of no ants up here lol
    If I do get a few rounds with ants I'll usually block and split them but come back in a month or so after the ants have moved on to some other tasty tree .

6. LondonNeil

LondonNeil Addicted to ArboristSite

its bar oil that I'd get everywhere, and that would be from the scabbard. let me explain. i store my saws hanging on the wall, a piece of string loops through the handle and hangs the saw from 2 screws in the wall. now the Swede, so far, has been ok, but the ickle German, like all Stihls I understand, slowly leaks oil down the bar in this orientation....so i slowly fill my scabbard. Messy if I forget and spill it and now...smelly. After reading in the Husky manual that you can use EP80 gear oil and remembering I had ~3 litres of err...27 year old EP80 I thought i'd found a use, and mixed it in to my 2/3 rds empty gallon of Stihl synth chain oil....forgetting how rancid and sulphurous gear oil smells. I've been reminded....I get reminded every time I cut, and the rate i go I'll be suffering the smell for at least a couple of years yet.

7. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

At least you do't have to throw an oil line each time you cut: just go by aroma!

Philbert

8. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

9. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 ESD sufferer

10. Dahmer

Dahmer Addicted to ArboristSite

lmao. If that is your Dad, be proud. Buy him a beer on me, I’ll send funds PayPal.

11. muddstopper

muddstopper Addicted to ArboristSite

I blame it on the current court system. A person steals 5 trucks, gets caught every time and is still walking the streets waiting on trial. A guy gets caught stealing packages off a porch and they even have him on camera, he's walking the streets and been arrested several times for stealing chainsaws and weedeaters. guy steals a tractor and gets caught riding it on the highway. Arrested and turned loose, steals a car, arrested and turned loose, has drugs on him everytime hes caught and he's still walking the streets. That is the problem around here, the courts let the crooks go. We have a new jail, its full of tentants from other counties, the county makes money houseing others prisoners so instead of keeping the local criminals in jail they turn them loose so that have a cell to rent out.

12. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 ESD sufferer

I went out for a small scrounge yesterday. As well as Cowgirl's bonfire, they also want to have several firepits going and last year they ate nearly a cube of wood. I correctly guessed that the ladies had not organised wood for that this year so I went out to the farm to scrounge some dry stuff up (I'll add this to the 'invoice' I'll issue to Cowgirl later on).

13th May 1.jpg

13th May 2.jpg

13th May 3.jpg

13th May 4.jpg

13th May 5.jpg

All nice dry peppermint, perfect for what I need.

13th May 6.jpg

13th May 10.jpg

Lovely afternoon for a scrounge.

13. JustJeff

JustJeff Addicted to ArboristSite

This popped up in my memories from four years ago. Cut this tree down and found it was pregnant with a baby tree inside![​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

14. Hinerman

Hinerman Addicted to ArboristSite

I don't do social media. But a friend of mine says the same thing. He told me he tested his theory by talking (not typing) about cat food (he doesn't own a cat) and started getting cat food ads. He is into conspiracy theories and stuff so I didn't give him much credibility. I guess he was on to something.

15. MNGuns

MNGuns [INSERT COOL STUFF HERE]

Actually snuck a maple into the load. They split easy making good practice for the boy....he's almost 8 :)

16. MNGuns

MNGuns [INSERT COOL STUFF HERE]

Same here. I wont tear off down the highway with em atop a load, but slow rolling the backroads I think they're just fine.

17. Wowzer

Wowzer ArboristSite Operative

What kinda tractor do you have looks like an AGCO?

18. svk

svk A little bit of everything

My father in law came over last night and got his summer car out of my garage. Over the winter the brake line along the axle had rusted out so he had no brakes. He was going to have it towed into the shop today.

Today I stop at Walmart and when I get out to my truck and there is fluid coming out of the rear drum.....great these things happen in groups LOL. I pulled the truck forward and went back to the puddle. Put a little on my fingers and smelled my fingers just as a guy was walking up to the car next to me. Guy looked at me smelling my fingers like I was from another world LOL. Luckily (?) it appears to be gear lube so I need a new axle seal.

19. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 ESD sufferer

Unfortunately, I can't claim this one, my dad's only 78. Stihl uses a chainsaw though :rock:. Where that old bloke was on the freeway is only a couple of km from where I grew up, as it happens.

20. LondonNeil

LondonNeil Addicted to ArboristSite

I know that smell Steve....everytime i cut.