Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beech, talk to me about splitting beech, hand splitting beech....scrounge it or let it go? Never had it, not a common tree in South London. I know its Oak like density and burns fabulously, but seem to recall reading its a tight grained tough spitter..bit of a ripper not splitter? Its doable with x27 and 8lb stihl cleave hammer? if necessary i have wedges....no..no...i hate wedges...if necessary for the odd bit I have the 365 x-torq. I got a message from my tree guy...a car load of beech with my name on it on the pile. I'm gong to ave to try it aren't I? Oh and if it makes a difference its large bough wood, not trunk.
beech we have here is great stuff, far better than anything else we have. I split by hand and 90% is doable, it dries quick but can go punky quick aswell

The debate between the FE Ford Motors (incl 390, 406, 427) and the 429/460 was similar to the debate between the Chrysler Wedge (383/440) and the 426 Hemi.

The Hemi could make more power, and was preferred at the track, but on the street (w/o Wrinkle wall slicks) the lighter 440 (with a broader power band) was hard to beat.

My 427 was very strong from 1,000 RPM to 6,800 RPM. A lot of the aggressively built small blocks were much peakier with the power output, needed gears, and were harder to launch with street tires.

I had 3.50 gears, but a tranny from a 289 Mustang (first gear was 2.71 instead of 2.20 in the close ratio trannys), so I could drive on the highway, but was very tough to beat in the 1/4 mi. None of the none "tubbed" cars were beating me.

I had an original set of the T/As on the back, which had continuous tread lines around the circumference. Later versions had tread blocks, which dissipated water better but did not launch as well. I believe they were G-60 15s. They worked very well.

beech we have here is great stuff, far better than anything else we have. I split by hand and 90% is doable, it dries quick but can go punky quick aswell
excellent! fair chance the London beech is similar (although a lone garden tree can often be a different proposition) . it will be stacked in my wood shed and left to dry...not touched again until winter 21/22, i presume it will last....in my experience pretty much any wood lasts once dry. if you think not i could stack in another spot and burn earlier, how fast does it season thoroughly? i would not think it would be great this year

I'd like to do a 390 sometime. I have a good set if 352 4bbl heads that would make some compression. It's just hard to find old Ford's around here that frames aren't rusted out on.
I was always intrigued by the FE big blocks. Owned a few of those, a few 429 standard/460, and some 400M’s. As well as a host of small blocks.

Never understood why the true big blocks were so damn heavy compared to the FE. Seems like the engineers got lazy halfway through designing that casting.

Big blocks can make big power with minimal mods. FE’s take a bit more work. 400 Modified are cheap and last forever

I had a 71 Lincoln 4 door but it had the highly desired 70’ D0VE casting block which I’m told was preferred for building race motors because the casting was stronger. That car was absolutely HUGE. Unfortunately it was power everything and most of the power motors had burned out. I crushed the car and sold the motor and C-6

The 390 Ford engine were about as rugged as any engine I can think of. I beat the snot out of several of them, and never had one let go.

The fastest Mustang I ever had was a 68 with a 390 and an aggressive solid lifter cam. Faster than my 427 and 428 Mustangs, beat all the cars at my college (including a 455 Goat, and ran down a 440 6 pack Super Bee like it was sitting still!

The 390 Ford engine were about as rugged as any engine I can think of. I beat the snot out of several of them, and never had one let go.

The fastest Mustang I ever had was a 68 with a 390 and an aggressive solid lifter cam. Faster than my 427 and 428 Mustangs, beat all the cars at my college (including a 455 Goat, and ran down a 440 6 pack Super Bee like it was sitting still!
Much like a saw, operator experience and engine tune goes a long way when you are drag racing. ;)

I would use the Hydro to split Beech!

Hey, I had BFG Radial Trans Am's on my 70 Boss Mustang (I also put a 427 Ford Motor in it). With the "slapper" traction bars I was very hard to beat both straight line and in the corners!

I called it the "real" Boss Mustang. Always wanted to race a Boss 429, but could never find one out on the streets. The 429 motors were strong, but they were too long (had a large bore), so too much weight was in front of the front wheels, making them very hard to launch or corner.
I think you would have been very disappointed by the boss 9s performance. They were extremely choked up from the factory. The little 302 boss had a bigger carb then the 429. Either one is on my dream car list along with a 289 k code car in black like dads was.

So it looks like Tuesday I'll be picking up my new scrounging truck. Found an 08 2500hd asking 7500 or best offer. The bed is rusted above the rear wheel wells but theres already talk of going aluminum flatbed so that's not a big deal to me. Best feature to me is the lever to work the t case instead of electronics.

Whats are the details on the truck James? Regular or extended cab? Long bed? Miles?

I’ve been looking for a 2500HD for a while now. Hard to find a four door without 150k plus on it that’s under $10k around here that’s not rusted to crap.

The Hi Po 289 did very well for itself in the early Mustangs! That solid cam motor often embarrassed a lot of Big Blocks.

Ford actually produced a 375 Hp 4 Bbl 390 in the mid 60s, along with a 401 HP 3 duce version, both with the 427 solid lifter cam. But in the 67/68 Mustangs, they came with restrictive exhaust manifolds and transverse mufflers that just killed the performance of the engine. (The cam was the same as in a 428 CJ).

Add Headers, dual exhaust and a richer jetted double pumper Holley and it was a night + day difference! I also went with a solid lifter cam, double roller TRW timing chain, and Mallory Photo Cell Electronic Ignition. It flew!

All this Ford talk makes me want to go over to my buddies place and have him drag out the "Toad". An early 70's Pinto with a 351 Windsor.:) Mike this was what Dad brought home brand spanking new to take the family on a cross country trip in 1968. Had the 390 in it. He hit a deer with it and bent up the grill and the only one the dealer had was for a Torino GT.
38c66c24614cbb7ceb88371c4a81d68b.jpg

Whats are the details on the truck James? Regular or extended cab? Long bed? Miles?

I’ve been looking for a 2500HD for a while now. Hard to find a four door without 150k plus on it that’s under $10k around here that’s not rusted to crap.
Crew cab, 8' bed. 180k miles. Pretty sure I can get him to take $6500. Lots of miles doesnt bother me I'm pretty sure I've never owned a vehicle that had under 150k on it when I bought it. Theres an 03 f350 v10 with 120k for $7900 I might go look at. That ones crew cab with a 6' bed.

Back