Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a tough job. The German tanks had us out gunned and out armoured for a good period of the early part of the war.

They were out gunned for the entire war. Even the 90 mm Pershing that was introduced in the final months of the war did not have the armor of a Tiger, and the German 88 had a larger powder base and more range and penetration.

Tank Destroyers were given Half Tracks or Modified Shermans because they wanted them to respond more quickly (rather than have heavy armor). The modified Shermans had open tops and were vulnerable to hand grenades, but it allowed them to spot German Tanks sooner.

My Dad did not talk about it much, but he did tell my brother and I about the first time they encountered a Tiger Tank. The Army told those poor guys that their equipment was equal to anything out there. 13 US Tanks approached a Tiger Tank they thought was looking the wrong way, and opened fire. The shells "bounced off of it like ping pong balls", and the Tiger wheeled around and blew away 9 of the 13 tanks … the rest ran (our tanks were faster, because they were lighter and ran on gas instead of diesel).

The combination of gas and munitions resulted in many poor outcomes. If you got hit, you had almost no time to get out.

My Dad said we prevailed because we were able to replace the soldiers we lost, and the Germans were not. He was one of only two men who were in the original reserve unit and returned at the end of the war. My Mom told us he told her it was just a matter of when, not if, and he never expected to come home.

He also said we were fortunate Hitler attacked Russia, because if they had not, they likely would have prevailed over England, and if we did not have that foothold from which to launch D Day, we could not have done it.

He also said that at least 3 times he should have been killed, but the shells did not explode. The Germans used forced labor (mostly Polish) to manufacture their munitions. They often sabotaged the shells even though the penalty for doing so was death.

I scrounged up a new (to me) scrounging vehicle this weekend. The irony is that I have 3-4 years of wood, so I don't need to scrounge at the moment.
truck.jpg
  • just over 29,000 miles (off lease)
  • Big Horn package
  • 5.7L V8, 4x4, 3.21 rear end
It's WAY nicer than I need, but it has what I want and the price was right.

I scrounged up a new (to me) scrounging vehicle this weekend. The irony is that I have 3-4 years of wood, so I don't need to scrounge at the moment.
View attachment 738409
  • Big Horn package

Nice truck, best of luck with it!

View attachment 738409
  • Big Horn package
There good trucks. My buddy had one for awhile with no problems.

Saw that Ryan on the 6 oclock news. Stay safe buddy. Make sure ya have some sharp chains in case a bunch of wood happens.

Almost certain I’ll be updating this thread with new scrounged wood shortly. Just got a new tank vent put in the 262xp and the postman just delivered a Walboro carb kit in the mail today.

Currently doing some laundry in the basement, drinking one of Philadelphia’s finest brews and reading threads on AS. Life is good:)

Attachments

• AC67DDAA-9C9A-4A3F-9FA0-7D1B9ECDA101.jpeg
    AC67DDAA-9C9A-4A3F-9FA0-7D1B9ECDA101.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back