Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new bar on my recently “new to me” saw[emoji847][emoji847]

0df3eb4c2312393bb1170c3b1e725c33.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

@MustangMike. Not exactly sure how rot resistant compared to BL. I had cut some one time and stacked it between 2 trees. It might have been there 3-4 years till I got it. What was on the ground wasn't real good but the stuff off the ground was Stihl good and hard. Scrounge all you can.

Steve, I've been cutting some Mulberry recently in two different locations, and I'm becoming very impressed with it, but I have a question for you.

It seems to have a lot of the same characteristics as Black Locust … is it as resistant to rot as Black Locust?
Mulberry is more like Osage Orange then anything else. There in the same family of trees. As Steve said get all you can. It was my go to wood during the cold snap last winter.

I have had mulberry and osage on the last scrounge of gas company clearing. Its not as hard as you would think. Dense yes but not that hard. And it seems wet ash or oak is heavier. It doesnt seem to me to resist rot very well if left on the ground and carpenter ants love it. They will destroy it pretty quick if you leave it on the ground.

Took down the big widow maker behind the cabin and a big aspen in front. Have one more aspen to drop at some point but it’s going to need rigging and I think has woodpecker nests in it at the moment. Also one more widow maker that I think I’ll partially cut and pull over with the truck because the crown is stuck in another tree.

Widow maker. More solid wood than I thought.
0B78AF0B-2EFF-4D00-A4AE-5726F4F9523A.jpeg D3204204-0A4C-4BD5-9D03-4D7020D9CFA0.jpeg

Tree in the front. Quickly succumbing to core rot!
64A32DF7-47A8-4E91-BB90-8DB4207BE02B.jpeg

Took down the big widow maker behind the cabin and a big aspen in front. Have one more aspen to drop at some point but it’s going to need rigging and I think has woodpecker nests in it at the moment. Also one more widow maker that I think I’ll partially cut and pull over with the truck because the crown is stuck in another tree.

Widow maker. More solid wood than I thought.
View attachment 741054 View attachment 741055

Tree in the front. Quickly succumbing to core rot!
View attachment 741056

The black locust around here always get “core rot”.

My top 3

Oak
Black locust
Cherry

Oak and black locust are a tie for #1

What about Hickory??? Great BTUs, and the pleasant aroma both when processing and burning … and Black Birch is not bad in those departments either!

The bit of mulberry I have currently seems heavy enough although the online database shows about 0.65 seasoned specific density, so well shown on Oak. It's also a bit soft and not the easiest to split. One of those woods that swallows the axe/maul a bit. Not the worst for it but definitely not the easiest to split.

Back