Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice white oak score, lots of BTU's for a couple yrs from now.
Can you get the trailer right next to it.
I can probably get within 20 yards, swampy near the tree. Gonna buck then drag out with the winch then roll the rounds onto the trailer. I have 3 years worth of wood split and stacked now so this be good and dry by the time I need it. That trunk is a bit over 3’ about a foot above the rootball.

I can probably get within 20 yards, swampy near the tree. Gonna buck then drag out with the winch then roll the rounds onto the trailer. I have 3 years worth of wood split and stacked now so this be good and dry by the time I need it.
Could probably parbuckle the logs to get them close without getting too much dirt/mud in the bark.
Sounds like the perfect scrounge for you :clap:.
I have some white oak rounds that were dead standing and even hollow on some that I need to get split up by the wood pile, some looks pretty rough so it will be a good yr to burn those.

Maybe I’m wrong but I thought that was from poor filing?

I’ll take a look later. Doing some brushing right now and just taking a water break
That could be too, if so it's some of the worse filing I've ever seen, but nothing surprises me with regards to that anymore :dizzy:.

Nothing like walking out to the wood pile, Moving a few pallets for a new stack, splitting ONE pc and it starts pouring down rain[emoji1787].

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
This spring has been poor for anything outside...it rained almost daily until now, and is supposed to be 90 and humid by week's end...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Getting some nice wood James. You should be 3-4yrs ahead by the time you get that truck home. I like that truck BTW, I miss my old 99 crew cab 7.3.
Theres other uses for the truck. A crew cab would have been nice but little man will be in a booster seat soon so the ex cab will work out.

Had an oopsie cutting brush. Hit a well concealed rock, first time I’ve rocked a chain in a while. Luckily an Oregon so it could be hand filed.

Once the depth gauge was adjusted we should be good to go.
View attachment 743142

Your running Safety chain...?

Theres other uses for the truck. A crew cab would have been nice but little man will be in a booster seat soon so the ex cab will work out.
That sure makes it easier when they're out of the big giant car seats :yes:. I remember trying to buckle the last one when they were three deep in a couple cars, not fun at all and neither was getting them out of the third row while they were sleeping, but that third row sure can be nice.
My old crew cab would get stuck on flat ground in 2wd it seemed, now if it was hooked to a 35' gooseneck with 10k on the deck it may have done better, but that's a bit difficult to get into some places:laughing:.

That sure makes it easier when they're out of the big giant car seats :yes:. I remember trying to buckle the last one when they were three deep in a couple cars, not fun at all and neither was getting them out of the third row while they were sleeping, but that third row sure can be nice.
My old crew cab would get stuck on flat ground in 2wd it seemed, now if it was hooked to a 35' gooseneck with 10k on the deck it may have done better, but that's a bit difficult to get into some places:laughing:.

The new ram 3/4 & 1Ton (and i think chevy) have an option of a copy of the detroit truetrac carrier and ford has their electronic lockers.

Much better now

The new ram 3/4 & 1Ton (and i think chevy) have an option of a copy of the detroit truetrac carrier and ford has their electronic lockers.

Much better now

Nah, the Ram uses an AAM LSD (Trac-right?)...it relies on traction at both tires to work (the more traction, the tighter it clamps). I owned a 2004.5 2500 Cummins with the 11.5AAM, it had that LSD and it worked alright for 300k, it was pretty useless unless you had equal traction at both tires. It is closer to a fancy version of a Dana Powr-loc than anything else...except it didn't have preloaded clutches.

The GM HDs still use the G80 locking differential. I have one in this 2012 2500hd. It has its quirks...it clicks and chatters when engaging, typically bangs when it engages, does "lock" fairly well (it isn't a true locker, it just clamps down on the clutches and places so much pressure on them that they can't slip). Mine has worked well for 160k...it supposedly acts like a LSD until you slip one tire, then it locks (bang). There really isn't anything else out like a G80. While it works...I'm personally not a big fan.

Neither one is like a True-trac...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

why you fileing the straps?
3/8 low profile...teeth are tiny....with the little 5/32 file that’s where it contacts when you file.
Your running Safety chain...?
When I’m cutting ****** brush I run whatever I have!! It’s on a Poulan 4218 so not breaking any speed records. Granted it does cut well with the muffler mod.

Latest posts

Back