Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's only 1257 miles, 19 hours 3 minutes. I'd drive out for a good beer. No Fosters mind you. It's an OK beer, but for an extended drive, I want a GOOD beer.
Thanks for that offer but I couldn't send you nearly 20 hrs on a wild goose chase. If you are ever heading in that direction though or know anyone closer please sing out. Haha, I don't blame you on that Fosters. There are far better drops for sure.

I found an email addy for, I suspect, the owner's daughter yesterday and fired off a somewhat frustrated 'please explain' message and nothing back so far. Basically I think orders outside USA are in the too-hard basket for them (our different power supply might be more than they want to deal with). I guess they don't need the $. Either that or their level of customer service is going to run the business into the ground.

Funny thing is, in the same state is another USA manufacturer of similar equipment who has been great to deal with so far, so there's another option if I keep getting the cold sholder. I just hope the owner of the first business with staff ignoring me is aware of how prospects are being treated. If they know and don't give a rat's then that one thing, but if they don't know and the business is suffering then they should be told.

The scrounged pile is getting bigger. Time to break out the fiskars and fire up the splitter! [emoji16]
6ecca3821a1241f14f10fd91e9063f34.jpg
4101a9117359d1aa8db1ebf4a5b4a1c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took down two Red Maples and one Ash this morning, nothing huge, but they were all leaning the wrong way and had to be pulled over. (same location as last week). Good thing I finished in the morning, because on the 15 min ride home it poured! Then, minutes later, it is hot as heck and the roads dried up.

I grabbed a 22 and went range, it's covered!

How come nobody ever suggests wearing chaps for splitting?

Maybe someday...

Yep. I even tried it but they ae hot, clumsy, etc. My doctor who has treated me several times for leg infections from such damage tells me to wear them. I have scabs almost all the time from using my shins as a backstop.

Yep. I even tried it but they ae hot, clumsy, etc. My doctor who has treated me several times for leg infections from such damage tells me to wear them. I have scabs almost all the time from using my shins as a backstop.
Yeah I could see it being an issue. Especially if on warfarin or with diabetes ect... Even baseball shin guards get hot and would catch on every little twig.

My chaps are the red kind should really make it a force of habit to wear em this time of year. But honestly in cooler weather with overalls on it seems redundant.

Gonna give this boom a try. Its pretty light duty though more for a garden tractor. But it should help stay out of the scrap pile and put some weight on the tires. Just have to cut shorter logs than usual to keep the resistance down. Lifting them should be a game changer. I hope...
bbva compass bank near me now

nice lil rig! as u say, better there than the scrap pile... am working on a vintage folding step stool bit of a POS... wobblyMAX... but, while no wood in screw holes... lol... and even the small screws require vise grips... lol... will be a nice go to seat when I get tired out trimming fence lines and want to sit for a spell. scrounged it off the street headed for the dump. had it a while. now it has a purpose. better a seat than in the dump. some tuff going... every screw hole has to have wooden plug fitted and glues in. time for new fasteners... and new holes. lolPC210015.JPG PC210016.JPG PC210018.JPG

nice lil rig! as u say, better there than the scrap pile... am working on a vintage folding step stool bit of a POS... wobblyMAX... but, while no wood in screw holes... lol... and even the small screws require vise grips... lol... will be a nice go to seat when I get tired out trimming fence lines and want to sit for a spell. scrounged it off the street headed for the dump. had it a while. now it has a purpose. better a seat than in the dump. some tuff going... every screw hole has to have wooden plug fitted and glues in. time for new fasteners... and new holes. lolView attachment 746743 View attachment 746744 View attachment 746745
Tenacious!

Chaps while splitting, and watching!!!

You guys remember CTYank? The guy that used to come around here who had all of the answers and hated anything splitting tool besides German splitting mauls and Council Tool products.

A bunch of guys were watching someone split with the Leveraxe at a GTG several years back, there was old John standing way too close, running his mouth about how the axe was crap and his stuff was better. Well he took a flying split right to the shin and from what I’m told, the rest of the crowd nearly died from trying to control their laughter.

Tried the new winch out yesterday View attachment 745540it’s a handy little tool but I’m definitely going to need something bigger. Also going to need bigger batteries, one battery wouldn’t even last a full 30’ pull, and first battery only reached about 1/2 charge by the time second battery died. So went looking for something I didn’t have to winch. Found a nice red fir blow down few miles further up the roadView attachment 745541Most of it was on the up hill side of the road:). Sure nice to have ported saws here, still have good power at this elevation (7000’) View attachment 745542Starting to get warm here now (80*) thankful the humidity is low. Was loaded up by about noon so wasn’t too awful hot yetView attachment 745543Found a nice shady spot to take a nap afterwards and stay away from all the weekend traffic, noise, and people as long as possible.

beautiful country!

There's a funnel web spider in there. I think I'll just put it straight in the heater.

View attachment 745628

put a small side of oak in mr Brutus other day... the ants scattered. nest tucked down tight in a fold. I flipped it over to be direct on fire's coals... to help them!

Tenacious!

lol, the QB said yesterday about :cheers: thirty... 'omg :eek: you have worked on that... all afternoon!' :nofunny:

think she bought the need for an ez seat to sit down on at times up country... well, sorta! ;)

junk to some, treasure to others... perfect lil folding seat, imo... utility grade! :D
PC210014.JPG

At a stand still. Tractor battery isn't taking a charge. Date is 7/09 so 10 years added water a couple times. Checked again all cells covered. Had charger on overnight not much hope its coming back. It started several times yesterday but had to jump it the last time.

Battery was $125 in 09 at John Deere. I know of cheaper but 10 years is hard to beat if they are the same quality today. Gonna give it another hour or so then maybe jump it. I just want to get the big end if that oak up the hill before it rains and shuts me down. But if it dies pulling hard there it will sit so... Murphy's Law and all we all know how this can go.

10 years is awesome battery life! but at least since I am sure its diesel... once running and if bat dies... ignition won't. lol

Perfect day yesterday, took 4 saws to work up a big willow, MS193T, MS362, MS441, Husky T435. Came home early with every one on the disabled list:

New 193 would not idle and runnin rich (I should have adjusted it myself bus since I was headed for dealer...), MS362 pinched badly and bar smoked hot enough I could smell chips smoke when I tried to use it after rescue, Husky top handle shut off switch died so had to choke to shut it off...which resulted in a flooded condition...which required 4-5 pulls to restart. That got old when doing it every minute or two . MS441 threw chain, my fault, resulting in destroying the rim sprocket and a bearing.

100 mile roundtrip to the dealer came home with a 100$ and a bit bill, new 20" chain, new 20" bar and the fixins' on the 362. Husky still needs to go to that dealer for the part (on order),

Other than the loss of a day, not all that bad though, I didn't get to unload the truck ...but then I'll have to do that tomorrow

always something! and never at a convenient time. lol. I hate having to go to town when up country farming... always shoots away the afternoon! :rare2:

Isn't that a deadly spider? Saw some kid on a nature show in the ER room in some hospital due to a bite. Yikes hope you get better. Can't help but notice your chicken coop. Looks like there is still grass in there. Is it portable? Mine devour any greens and leave bare ground.
Had a new one today, baby voles that were nesting in a log. It had a soft core full of wet wood chips, couldn't decide why it was chips and not dust like ants leave. When it was split my wife saw the tiny baby voles. I had to " relocate" them to the woods. I weighed up one of our processed meat chickens and it was 11 lbs. Still have 4 more to process later, might get a 13 lb bird out of them.

I did, too! I liked it...

10 years is awesome battery life! but at least since I am sure its diesel... once running and if bat dies... ignition won't. lol
Still on the gas but yeah I don't think it makes spark with a clapped out battery. The charging systems not doing anything. At least the old mags make their own spark. I oughta put a 1- wire on it But they just don't look right.

Spiders are just spidering. It's up to me to check for them and treat 'em with more respect. Got away without even considering them for all my life, until the last three months of them evening the score a little. So, from now on I'll be a bit more careful.

got a Spider Stick [thin branch i cut] at my front gate. leep it laced on side of gate... the corn spiders seem to like to build a web there in gate. a swipe of the wand and web relocated. :D

Back