Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 752574
Handle idea glue-up. They need to invent a glue that has 20min working time but we can flip a switch to have it dry instantly.

that would be strong!

I hunted down the garage door handle. found 4. not too sure I like it for seat project, though. reserve final opinion once seat ready. mockups. and a bit of a search at L and HD... u r right about wood glues. I more or less have my seat project done. but right now it is locked up in 4 clamps. waiting for the glues to go off and set. prob leave it in clamps 3 days. maybe a spray like for super glue. just spray it and it accelerates fast... the set up. :rolleyes: I am happy with my seat project as it wraps. :D but was pretty challenging today as not all screw in stud holes are created equal. several of the stud ends gave way once nut tightened. tuff to get out to redo. had to cut slots into tops to use screwdriver. and sev holes' studs r setting up in epoxy. both metal and wood upset so as to create locking fulcrums... I like the screwdriver slots so much, tempted to do all on the seat base and upper leg. then epoxy each of them and reset. a brief foto essay:

P1190001.JPG P1190002.JPG P1190003.JPG P1190006.JPG P1190007.JPG P1190008.JPG P1190009.JPG P1190010.JPG P1190011.JPG P1190012.JPG

as scrounged off the street... the stool would sway like a willow tree in the wind. but now, true plum n square... or close! as in close enuff! lol. and quite stable. I think it is very old. i like its character! i like its 'as found' demeanor, too... shows off some of its useage over the years... with the blue, etc it was spiffed up a bit at one time. lots of nicks and scratches. I put the time and energy into it as I like it. din't like to use it. lol. have other. steel, etc. I guess it called to me... now it has a very purposeful purpose. other than just rotting away at the dump!

that would be strong!

I hunted down the garage door handle. found 4. not too sure I like it for seat project, though. reserve final opinion once seat ready. mockups. and a bit of a search at L and HD... u r right about wood glues. I more or less have my seat project done. but right now it is locked up in 4 clamps. waiting for the glues to go off and set. prob leave it in clamps 3 days. maybe a spray like for super glue. just spray it and it accelerates fast... the set up. :rolleyes: I am happy with my seat project as it wraps. :D but was pretty challenging today as not all screw in stud holes are created equal. several of the stud ends gave way once nut tightened. tuff to get out to redo. had to cut slots into tops to use screwdriver. and sev holes' studs r setting up in epoxy. both metal and wood upset so as to create locking fulcrums... I like the screwdriver slots so much, tempted to do all on the seat base and upper leg. then epoxy each of them and reset. a brief foto essay:

View attachment 752592 View attachment 752593 View attachment 752594 View attachment 752597 View attachment 752598 View attachment 752599 View attachment 752600 View attachment 752601 View attachment 752602 View attachment 752603

as scrounged off the street... the stool would sway like a willow tree in the wind. but now, true plum n square... or close! as in close enuff! lol. and quite stable. I think it is very old. i like its character! i like its 'as found' demeanor, too... shows off some of its useage over the years... with the blue, etc it was spiffed up a bit at one time. lots of nicks and scratches. I put the time and energy into it as I like it. din't like to use it. lol. have other. steel, etc. I guess it called to me... now it has a very purposeful purpose. other than just rotting away at the dump!
onya. I love the second Life stuff too. Repair, repurpose reuse. With a well used patena already baked in.good call on the epoxy for those studs. Solid.

*editing to add*

The handle idea came up pretty good, but will it break in real-world use - who knows:
IMG_20190812_094216.jpg

And onto another test, this one to see if I can use UHMWPE as the runner material b/c it's super slippery (less load on those thin handles :) ), and great wearing.

IMG_20190812_094131.jpg
From right to left - no treatment, sanded, flame heated. Bond was useless, not bad, very good (it's the only one I can't bash off with a hammer).

Scrounged up this Mulberry? Noodled a few rounds that were left at a dump close to my house, ran outta fuel so back tomorrow for the rest if it’s still there.
d6c328818dc794eff81c177b0b040b6e.jpg
688e3a26e03a463b190cf5d679425609.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, mulberry for sure there @Be Stihl. Good stuff.:rock2:

IMO of a guy wants to add muscle mass you still need to go to the gym. Slinging firewood will get you into shape but if you want to look like you hang out at a gym, I’m great proof that firewood alone won’t make you look like that.
Swim,bike,rollerskate in that order. You'll be cut and defined faster then anything you can do at the gym.
Lifting heavy at the gym will add muscle but does nothing for definition. Alot of the guys that are jacked looking cant keep up doing real work like firewood or other such activity.

View attachment 752618 Finding things to do . . . Then green beans for canning. And corn for the freezer.
You could cut the ends off faster with a top handle saw and 1/4" chain if you line them all up. Probably use 'Safety Chain' in the kitchen, but whatever . . .

Philbert

Swim,bike,rollerskate in that order. You'll be cut and defined faster then anything you can do at the gym.
Lifting heavy at the gym will add muscle but does nothing for definition. Alot of the guys that are jacked looking cant keep up doing real work like firewood or other such activity.
I think it’s funny when you see the guys who definitely skip leg day.

onya. I love the second Life stuff too. Repair, repurpose reuse. With a well used patena already baked in.good call on the epoxy for those studs. Solid. *editing to add* The handle idea came up pretty good, but will it break in real-world use - who knows: View attachment 752723 <snip> (it's the only one I can't bash off with a hammer).

from ruff to finish, handle looks good and integrally strong. well glued, dif densities, and interlocking components. I cannot see how it would break, abuse aside...

here is a pix of my stool work-in-progress. step rework done, under seat to go. folds up to store or be up against fence line... ez opens. set in shade, nice to sit on, relax a bit. these days in these temps... some relaxing during farm work... is welcomed. and I am optimistic... it won't be wobbly! lol. steps are both solidly screwd in, deeper shanks, and also titebond III glued into receiver slots in sides of legs.

PC260005.JPG PC260006.JPG

the many holes in steel structure under seat area seems to be by a prev owner. seems used to hold together top maybe since it both cracked and also was joined. no rhyme nor reason to the hole's locations other than both sides of a crack/joint. I triple glued, blew out dust in cracks, blew glue down and in and aligned it all and clamped it up. I am thinking of adding a couple of 5/8ths x 5/8ths oak blocks across underside. these are all 8-32's... may ck for some 1/4-20 x 1". should bolt up like a steel girder. an add-on upgrade u might say... sanded, stained and spar varathaned... interestingly, imo... the small rectangular pce metal L is brass... brass screws was installed as a crack repair... someone was handy! lol

it is still in the clamps.

Well normally try to go to church and spend time with family on Sunday but with the cooler temps decided to head up the mountain for some wood and “rest”. 60* sure was nice after being 90* most of the week. Been watching this tree for a few months, always still had a little green in the top, no green today:):chainsaw:F5ED2922-0EC9-409F-958B-62ACA822EAF6.jpegSome of the blocks decide to not stop on the road...0CD41DC4-6EE5-4625-A14B-FE1CB0D5CC37.jpegstarted leaving some limbs on so they didn’t roll so fast, also made a “guard rail” with the blocks that did stop on the road, helped quite a bit.B05DF24F-1013-4576-B1A9-082942E91C57.jpegHad enough for a load without the runaway roundsF1C34BF1-8A4A-48AB-8FC0-CF95CF488216.jpegMaybe I’ll try pulling the runaways back up to the road with the drill winch next weekend.

Attachments

• B1E22FB7-84F9-4020-A643-3856E9A82301.jpeg
    B1E22FB7-84F9-4020-A643-3856E9A82301.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
Well normally try to go to church and spend time with family on Sunday but with the cooler temps decided to head up the mountain for some wood and “rest”. 60* sure was nice after being 90* most of the week. Been watching this tree for a few months, always still had a little green in the top, no green today:):chainsaw:View attachment 752783Some of the blocks decide to not stop on the road...View attachment 752781started leaving some limbs on so they didn’t roll so fast, also made a “guard rail” with the blocks that did stop on the road, helped quite a bit.View attachment 752782Had enough for a load without the runaway roundsView attachment 752784Maybe I’ll try pulling the runaways back up to the road with the drill winch next weekend.

nice pix, nice mountain scenery... I can just imagine you all at work... and 'boing' ... an Elk of big deer... headed up to cooler temps... momentarily stops along the road... looks u all over... then beats cheeks...

Well normally try to go to church and spend time with family on Sunday but with the cooler temps decided to head up the mountain for some wood and “rest”. 60* sure was nice after being 90* most of the week. Been watching this tree for a few months, always still had a little green in the top, no green today:):chainsaw:View attachment 752783Some of the blocks decide to not stop on the road...View attachment 752781started leaving some limbs on so they didn’t roll so fast, also made a “guard rail” with the blocks that did stop on the road, helped quite a bit.View attachment 752782Had enough for a load without the runaway roundsView attachment 752784Maybe I’ll try pulling the runaways back up to the road with the drill winch next weekend.
Nice haul Nate.
How many people came thru while you were working there today.
Do you ever put the extras in the back of the truck.

Nice haul Nate.
How many people came thru while you were working there today.
Do you ever put the extras in the back of the truck.
Thanks Brett. I knew with this tree I would be falling it across the road or rolling blocks into the road so tried to be there early, think I got there around 6:30 or 7. Thankfully no one came by until I was loaded ready to leave around 11. Met 3 more vehicles on the way out.
Yeah I put one block in the back of the pickup:), trailer has 2 compartments in the front that I put some in too, only thing left was the rounds that went over the bank.

Entire neighborhood evacuated for demolition. I think it was section 8/welfare housing. Its full of mature trees. Alot of oak and sugar maple. And even spruce. Gonna call the city and find out if they are gonna flatten the whole thing or leave the trees.

Attachments

• 20190811_190411.jpg
    20190811_190411.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 30
Back