Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One tank of fuel for this pile. Starting to warm up to a two saw 550xp and 572xp plan. Did cut in same stack yesterday with my 562 and for this size logs, not a big difference to me.View attachment 753235 View attachment 753236
If it weren't for some bigger trees the 261 and 7900 combo is in the sweet spot here. It seems the 5o-ish + 70-ish cc mix is a universal good'n.
3-saw = 261, 7900, 395
4-saw = makita 18v top handle, 261, 7900, 395

1-saw = 7900 until I get older and weaker, then it's the 261 and more coffee breaks.

Worth it. They will make you smile for ever more.

Those are gorgeous.
Thanks. In that video I posted recently, showing the Japanese hand-powered CNC router, the cabinet on it had some handles that piqued my interest, so I copied the idea with native timber (Rimu and Kauri again), using my Kiwi hand-powered IHC router.

If you guys recall those jewellery boxes I did recently for my friends, the timber for this set of drawers is from that same house on their old farm the bank forced them to sell. They don't know it yet but these drawers are a gift also. It was her family's old farm and she'd be happy with a bread board because of the connection, but he is an ex timber guy cabinetmaker so I can't really do a **** job and get away with it as he'll know. So I've been asking him his advice on different ideas on this drawer build. He'll get a kick out of it when it finally gets there. But, having run out of Rimu to do the Japanese dovetailed solid carcase idea, which means more Rimu for the bottom and for the feet, I asked him last night if he could give me a few bits from his stash.

It's really important to me all the timber that goes into this furniture has a connection to them. So I'm glad he agreed to give me some Rimu and doesn't suspect what I'm up to. Knowing I was going to be tight on the timber and not wanting to do ply drawer bottoms, I used some Kauri they allowed me to take many years ago on another property they had that the banks told them to sell. You might be seeing a pattern - banks telling them to sell up. I promise you it's not because they are poor operators or lazy - just a crazy succession of people in their lives promising but not delivering that has really knocked them back. Sometimes bad things keep happening to good people. I'm in awe of how well they have kept it all together and made it through a really tough decade. I guess what doesn't break 'em makes 'em stronger.

That other place was an original settlers school well over a hundred years old, subsequently converted to a farm house towards the end of last century. There was still a school coach/bus shelter down the bottom of the driveway. I knew it was Kauri and the local powerlines company wanted it gone so I grabbed the timber. So, now years later, I have used it as the drawer bottoms as it still has a connection to them and their journey through life. I even kept the paint on the bottom side and will ask them if they recognise the colours :)
IMG_20190803_104808.jpg

One tank of fuel for this pile. Starting to warm up to a two saw 550xp and 572xp plan. Did cut in same stack yesterday with my 562 and for this size logs, not a big difference to me.View attachment 753235 View attachment 753236
Wow, surprised your liking it that much :surprised3:.
Glad the weather is cooling off a little to get something done.
Got a lot done around here today.
Split about half a cord and moved a bunch of logs around, some of the wood I've had around for a long time and it was punky when I got it, now it's all in the fire pit :blob2:.

All live oaks?

not sure. could be. 'live oak' is defined: a large, spreading oak of the southern US that has leathery, elliptical evergreen leaves. Live oaks typically support a large quantity of Spanish moss and other epiphytes.

there are so many different kinds of oaks.

per Wikipedia . There are approximately 600 extant species of oaks.

not sure. could be. 'live oak' is defined: a large, spreading oak of the southern US that has leathery, elliptical evergreen leaves. Live oaks typically support a large quantity of Spanish moss and other epiphytes.

there are so many different kinds of oaks.

per Wikipedia . There are approximately 600 extant species of oaks.
Live oak around here is any large Oak that is old...I have one in my backyard, I think it is a Black Oak? It's not a Live Oak by species...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

and for the first time in ..maybe 8 weeks...I scrounged a car load of wood! yay! mostly black locust (although i've come to the conclusion its not quite so dense when it grows over here, its decent though and easy to split), a bit of sycamore, yew and a few bits of leylandii to fill the boot. ms180 feeding time at the weekend i think....although some of it is big enough to think may half tank through the icle saw and save the big bits for half a tank through the 365 :chainsaw: we shall see. will be nice to run one...although it may have to wait a week yet.

4A4AEAB4-7530-489F-BA77-C44E78269FD7.jpeg 31ACDB66-0369-4EC2-BBFB-0A0E3752B375.jpeg Got the rest of the trees cleared from in front of this oak, pics ain’t great. It’s just over 36” at the base. Going to start on it tomorrow. Lots of trees still tangled up in this monster so it will be slow calculated cuts, I took 8 stitches in the head once from not reading a tension limb correctly. I usually try to heed learning experiences. As Einstein said, “Those who do not heed history are doomed to repeat it.”

View attachment 753473 View attachment 753474 Got the rest of the trees cleared from in front of this oak, pics ain’t great. It’s just over 36” at the base. Going to start on it tomorrow. Lots of trees still tangled up in this monster so it will be slow calculated cuts, I took 8 stitches in the head once from not reading a tension limb correctly. I usually try to heed learning experiences. As Einstein said, “Those who do not heed history are doomed to repeat it.”
I call those spring poles chain tossers, I don't get hit by them, but if your chain isnt tight it will get tossed quick :confused:.

Had a cousin visit recently who I hadn't seen in too long. We got talking wood and he burns about double what I do and was cutting with a Stihl 034. I was extolling the virtues of my dear ms460. He called me this evening all excited to tell me about his new to him 461. Most of my friend group doesn't get too excited about chainsaws the way I do. Anyway, I appreciated his excitement. I sent him pics and instructions of my Mustang Mike muffler mod....I may have created a monster. Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

You don't split your wood where you cut it? We cut and split at the same time, no way known we'd get the big stuff we cut on the back of the ute unless we did, you end up with lumps in ya arse if you even tried.:laugh:
Easier for me, I guess, to drag it up on the trailer and split at home when I have the time. I’m usually 2-3 years ahead on my burning wood so this oak won’t be used until 2021.

Back