Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured some of you guys would appreciate this new 4pc Starrett combination square set with hardened steel heads and hardened steel blade[emoji16]

Im a sheet meta fabricator (need hardened steel) and just got a promotion to Forman. Its my gift to myself.

Iv never had a Starrett[emoji847]

60d5c5f4a69645d1aea41d200c010ad2.jpg
f77b792b6e5c1ab89f12c9c9e68dd76a.jpg
015090a11869d4b08b076d1b5a96996e.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Very nice set.
Congrats on the promotion:cheers:.
As for quality... lets just say the accuracy of this 24” square is .003”. That is less than half the thickness of a human hair!!!
emoji15.png
Let's just hope you don't have a hair get on the short end and mess everything up :surprised3::lol:.

Fair enough. What sizes are the cants you guys use? Could mill 'em with my mill if no more than 20"x10". Nobody have a mill up there? Easy to move the mill to the log, When they are big logs it's the only way I have apart from slabbing them in half and winching. Low impact with the mill too, no torn up ground from dragging logs. But plenty of sawdust though.

Was thinking that differentiation between sap and heart might make for an interesting counter top, or does it all just bleach out to a featureless colour when it dries? I think i read a post on here somewhere of someone using it for a vanity top in a bathroom, or maybe it was cottonwood, can't recall. Came up pretty good. Worst case (**looking at cowboy**) even if it was slabbed it'll still be fine for firewood (and split easy) later down the road, but pretty tough to go the other way with it.

Tulip Poplar slab table:
View attachment 753743

drawers:
View attachment 753744
That's beautiful.
I was just at a friends home today who has a 4' wide by around 14' table made from one slab of white oak, it has "live edges"(you can tell it was dead) with the bark removed, not many like that around these days. It wasn't the widest part of the tree either, probably taken from about a third of the way in. I know where there is a willow that's quite large, it has burls all over it, I've often wondered what that would look like milled into boards. On the same rd there is a cherry(iirc) burl about 25' off the ground, I'd guess it's around 4' across and it's right in the middle of the tree, I think if I offered to cut down a dangerous dead standing tree(dangerous to them and their house/garage) that they would probably let me have it, I've always wondered what that would look like milled and what to even do with ito_O. I also just met someone today who has a mill with weeds growing up around it, she said her father is too busy to use it but lets others use it :). I'm hoping I can work something out with them, they've about 15 min from me and 5 min from my parents house. I may be visiting the milling area a lot more in the near future :reading:.

Any of you guys make your own chains? Where do you get rivets, connecting strap, and spools of chain?
I used to buy the 'presets' (rivets connected to one tie strap) and tie straps from Baileys. Can buy as many or as few as you need for Oregon, Carlton, etc. loops. Add them to a larger order to avoid the shipping charges.
Pre-set Tie-strap Rivet.png

Otherwise, eBay, or http://www.psep.biz/store/chainsaw_parts.htm.

STIHL chain parts from my STIHL dealer.

When you buy a spool of chain it comes with all the connector links to make several chains.
Often need them to repair or resize loops too, so additional may be needed.

Philbert

Fair enough. What sizes are the cants you guys use? Could mill 'em with my mill if no more than 20"x10". Nobody have a mill up there? Easy to move the mill to the log, When they are big logs it's the only way I have apart from slabbing them in half and winching. Low impact with the mill too, no torn up ground from dragging logs. But plenty of sawdust though.

Was thinking that differentiation between sap and heart might make for an interesting counter top, or does it all just bleach out to a featureless colour when it dries? I think i read a post on here somewhere of someone using it for a vanity top in a bathroom, or maybe it was cottonwood, can't recall. Came up pretty good. Worst case (**looking at cowboy**) even if it was slabbed it'll still be fine for firewood (and split easy) later down the road, but pretty tough to go the other way with it.

Tulip Poplar slabs table:
View attachment 753743

chest:
View attachment 753744
Those look really nice.

Any of you guys make your own chains? Where do you get rivets, connecting strap, and spools of chain?

Yep just bought a 25ft roll of Stihl 063 325 FC and also a 25ft roll of Hurricane 063 325 SC - that should get me around 6 loops off each Roll and saves me a fair few $$$ so happy with that. It all comes with ties and straps etc.

I appreciate the “congrads” much sir.

As for the tools. Laroy S. Starrett invented the combination square in 1878. Starrett is about the top of the heap when it comes to these tools. As for quality... lets just say the accuracy of this 24” square is .003”. That is less than half the thickness of a human hair!!![emoji15]

On a chainsaw note. You guys should see my 2016 562XP for sale on the forum soon. Daddy wants a 372XP..... or maybe a 3120...[emoji1787]

I saw a 3120 at the local Husky shop, it had a 16" bar on it - that thing would smash through wood with a short arse bar on it like that and it may have been sporting a 3/8 chain too I'd imagine :D

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Haven't looked at a saw lately. Did a mini remodel on the bathroom. Can of worms there! Skipped mowing that week which lead to...

Needed blades for the mower. Ordered a set next day pto electric clutch gave it up and found a head gasket was bad. Gonna see if the Co-op has those tomorrow.

Have a standing dead elm on another property I need to remove. Leans over the driveway. Now 1 of my daughter's wants to put a house in there. So if or if not I need that hazard out of there before it gets somebody. I could see someone backing into it causing a chain of misfortunes.

A drop bear is kinda like a Jackalope or a smaller, meaner version of sasquatch!!!
Sounds about right, they are blood thirsty little buggers, you really have to keep your witts about you when walking under particular types of Gum Trees where they live and bred. You difinitely don't go wandering around unarmed I'll put it this way.:rock2:

Back