Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or drink a few more beers in the evening , so when you wake up to pee in the middle of the night, you put couples logs in the woodstove. Foolproof tricks that works for me :givebeer:

In my years on this site, this could quite possibly be some of the best advice I have received......

No way would I let my NC-30 get that hot. The whole house smells like overheated metal if it gets over about 700.

Yup.

Early in the burn cycle with a full stove My PE summit runs perfectly when i keep it right around 500-550 STT.

Fantastic secondary burn and plenty of room if she decided to gain a few hundred degrees by mistake.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Nothing like getting a full night's sleep and waking up warm and toasty … I may have to add some insulation (or cover some of my large windows), I hear they loose lots of heat!

The two on the 2nd floor in the front are as big as doors!

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_161950505.jpg
    IMG_20181116_161950505.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 21
Ran great the last time it was used, when was that, about 7yrs ago, look it still has some fuel in it:laughing:.
That guy’s sale had everything priced about double to triple of what rummage sale stuff should go for. He had a clean used 455 Rancher for $325 as well.

He was haggling with some guy about buying some collector coin books so didn’t have much time to fart around with the saws though lol.

Well I did a quick inventory of my wood on the ground last night and I’ve only got about two and a half cords left. Which is a good problem because it seems like I’ve been splitting all summer and not making a dent into the piles. Then I can get back into the tops piles as there’s probably only one more year before those are rotten.

That guy’s sale had everything priced about double to triple of what rummage sale stuff should go for. He had a clean used 455 Rancher for $325 as well.

He was haggling with some guy about buying some collector coin books so didn’t have much time to fart around with the saws though lol.
It sounds like you did real well getting them for the price you did, especially after hearing all that.
I like the 455 ranchers and have sold a few for that much, but that's normally what I get for one with a total of three sharp chains and sometimes even a powerbox.
Well I did a quick inventory of my wood on the ground last night and I’ve only got about two and a half cords left. Which is a good problem because it seems like I’ve been splitting all summer and not making a dent into the piles. Then I can get back into the tops piles as there’s probably only one more year before those are rotten.
Hoping to run at least one saw today(346) and split a little, we'll see if it happens as there are a lot of other plans too.
I've tossed a bunch of ash this yr I had laying around, it was already a bit punky when I got it off a job a couple yrs ago so it was good to get it cleaned up.
I had some white oak that I've split about half of already, it was pretty "fluffy" on the outer inch and I tossed some nice chunks into the bonfire pile, but I've gotten pretty good at taking the right amount off without wasting too much wood.
It's nice and cool here today at 58 up from the low earlier this morning and heading to 76 which is doable weather for working outside without melting for me so I'm hoping to get a lot done.

It sounds like you did real well getting them for the price you did, especially after hearing all that.
I like the 455 ranchers and have sold a few for that much, but that's normally what I get for one with a total of three sharp chains and sometimes even a powerbox.

Hoping to run at least one saw today(346) and split a little, we'll see if it happens as there are a lot of other plans too.
I've tossed a bunch of ash this yr I had laying around, it was already a bit punky when I got it off a job a couple yrs ago so it was good to get it cleaned up.
I had some white oak that I've split about half of already, it was pretty "fluffy" on the outer inch and I tossed some nice chunks into the bonfire pile, but I've gotten pretty good at taking the right amount off without wasting too much wood.
It's nice and cool here today at 58 up from the low earlier this morning and heading to 76 which is doable weather for working outside without melting for me so I'm hoping to get a lot done.
From what I’ve seen around here, he won’t sniff that price on a used saw. Not that it’s not worth that much, just this isn’t a good area for resale items. Although this was the saw/bar/chain only with no extras.

He was trying to drum up value on the SXL’s to get me to pay more “these chains are worth $15 each!” They were dull, half worn semi chisel ;)

It was a nice cool night with a low around 40. Taking today off to do a number of small painting projects around the cabin. Supposed to be sunny with a high of 72 so once it warms up should be great working weather.

Our local Benjamin Moore dealer switched to cheaper brands so I had to drive a couple towns over to get the good stuff. I was a little pissed with that original dealer anyhow as they sold me some crappy latex exterior primer of a different brand last time and as a result I have to redo some of my cabin.

Australian timber oil? What's that? I make my own 'Danish' oil which seems to work well on our native timber. Equal parts 'boiled' linseed oil, mineral turps, polyurethane (oil based, not acrylic).
No idea. I can check the content later. It seems to have both a penetrating oil and a varnish component.

Tomorrow morning's maple scrounge

155815c04c5e72011767a347ab773c9b.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

A swimming pool is gonna be planted where them 5 sugar maples are , 10" to 12" at the butt and he deals with the brush :)
I'll drop the 4 easy ones tomorrow morning and save the one leaning over the fence for when Jerry's back to give me a hand so we can pull it down :)
After that a quick run to a church picnic then a beeline too the last spot to work on that mainly not spruce scrounge .

No idea. I can check the content later. It seems to have both a penetrating oil and a varnish component.
googled, found Cabots do one:

"Containing a precise blend of superb-grade linseed oil for maximum penetration, long-oil alkyds for durability and pure South American tung oil for color depth and water repellency, Australian Timber Oil delivers three-way oil protection. In addition, complex translucent iron oxide pigments are added to ensure a lasting U.V.-absorbing surface rich with color and dimension."

Back