Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang,

Never ran a kubota track loader. I like them more than bobcats.

SVL75

b3d214a92c0130d82c91c6cb6c409188.jpg
09c7eae7dfd9b8ca53112470d8542267.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Very nice, I like the orange :).
I ran my little bota for a bit to haul the splitter out to the wood pile and then hauled the splits to the woodshed.
I split a bucket of highly valuable spalted white oak, even had some restaurant grade mushrooms on it lol.
The pile on the ground has most of the mushrooms and the "spalting", I'll burn the low grade stuff I took to the woodshed, then I'll probably list the rest on craigslist :laugh:.
What were you working on?
Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 10.00.47 PM.png

Australian timber oil? What's that? I make my own 'Danish' oil which seems to work well on our native timber. Equal parts 'boiled' linseed oil, mineral turps, polyurethane (oil based, not acrylic).
I use American Timber Oil. Diesel fuel mixed with used engine oil. :D

Trailer tire update:

I bought the road hazard warranty for my new trailer tires when I rebuilt the trailer. Thought I rebuilt it in 2015 but it was actually 2016.

Discount Tire offers a road hazard warranty for approximately 7-15 bucks per tire. By contract it lasts for 3 years but they actually honor it for up to 10 years provided the tire receives irreparable damage and isn’t worn out. So I got a brand new tire for free yesterday (no questions asked) and purchased the road hazard warranty on this tire for $9. So it was definitely a good deal in my case!

Side note: I do not buy the road hazard warranty on my vehicle tires because I wear tires out too quickly due to the amount of driving I do.

4605C242-CCA0-4551-A186-D02DCEB2DA8F.jpeg

Trailer tire update:

I bought the road hazard warranty for my new trailer tires when I rebuilt the trailer. Thought I rebuilt it in 2015 but it was actually 2016.

Discount Tire offers a road hazard warranty for approximately 7-15 bucks per tire. By contract it lasts for 3 years but they actually honor it for up to 10 years provided the tire receives irreparable damage and isn’t worn out. So I got a brand new tire for free yesterday (no questions asked) and purchased the road hazard warranty on this tire for $9. So it was definitely a good deal in my case!

Side note: I do not buy the road hazard warranty on my vehicle tires because I wear tires out too quickly due to the amount of driving I do.

View attachment 755110
That's great.

Well , I made a beeline to that pool job this morning

vicbuxq.jpg

yj8KcNg.jpg

Multi stem and tall but I had a good drop zone
S3ap8hY.jpg

9PbU1Ng.jpg

jmL2OFe.jpg
I84zzpg.jpg

It went great , the homeowner pulled the ones that I tied off .
I blocked up the stems and then he loaded his atv trailer then transferred the wood to my trailer :)
ylCGOos.jpg
u8eljPQ.jpg

This not spruce stuff is just like a weed , after the picnic it was off to the other spot to haul up and get another load of not spruce with them funny leaves and dingle balls hanging from the branches
nnS4dvj.jpg
DRcZDbo.jpg

EmTVzzw.jpg

2 loads of not spruce today , I'll try and get 1 more tomorrow afternoon :)

AE3E1117-4AD2-4992-8C90-AE0B5A1738AA.jpeg The older guy I cut wood for has been wanting to help me so we went out tonight and started cutting limbs on the #2 big oak and dragging them out and cutting them up, had a stray maple that had to go also. I gave Wayne his hard hat and handed him an Echo 400 once we were ready to cut. He loved it. He said most people don’t give people in their 80’s credit for being able to do much, he wanted to know when we were going again! You can see 2 of the big limbs in the background.

View attachment 755240 The older guy I cut wood for has been wanting to help me so we went out tonight and started cutting limbs on the #2 big oak and dragging them out and cutting them up, had a stray maple that had to go also. I gave Wayne his hard hat and handed him an Echo 400 once we were ready to cut. He loved it. He said most people don’t give people in their 80’s credit for being able to do much, he wanted to know when we were going again! You can see 2 of the big limbs in the background.
My grandparents are 86&87 and raising an 11 year old cause my causin is a POS. Cant let age stop you.

Got a load of ash home yesterday and one home today by 2:00. Grandson ( grand daughter was there too) helped run the processor cutting 16" splits and then while they went for supper I ran it for a couple of hours. Processed just over half of it including a chain sharpening before dark. The processor is working pretty good so now I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it or not. The bark coming off the ash now is a pain as it sometimes builds up in the splitting chamber. I'm going to have to make a 4 way wedge for it as the 6 way makes too small splits. The wedge is adjustable but it does make a fair amount of splitter trash if you don't keep adjusting it. I'm only running up to 12" stuff in it. Pics of the pile of splits are old, fair bit more there now. Grandson also had a run in with a couple of Yellow Jackets this afternoon at my sister in laws place. 1 week for swelling to go down before school pictures. 20190824_162612.jpg 20190814_195822.jpg 20190823_194713.jpg 20190824_165722.jpg

Split a couple bucket fulls, it was pretty slow going because of all the punky wood.
Here's the conversion on this one, I also made quite a bit of highly valuable white oak and mushroom bits to list on Craigslist :laugh:.
This was one of the worse, although there was a round about 6" that I should have just tossed, the yield was pretty pathetic :rare2:.
Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 10.24.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 10.24.42 PM.png
This one was quite a bit bigger and looked like it was gonna be rotten, then I started to split it.
Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 10.25.18 PM.png
And I was like that isn't white oak, it's highly valuable black locust :sweet:.
Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 10.25.39 PM.png

Got a load of ash home yesterday and one home today by 2:00. Grandson ( grand daughter was there too) helped run the processor cutting 16" splits and then while they went for supper I ran it for a couple of hours. Processed just over half of it including a chain sharpening before dark. The processor is working pretty good so now I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it or not. The bark coming off the ash now is a pain as it sometimes builds up in the splitting chamber. I'm going to have to make a 4 way wedge for it as the 6 way makes too small splits. The wedge is adjustable but it does make a fair amount of splitter trash if you don't keep adjusting it. I'm only running up to 12" stuff in it. Pics of the pile of splits are old, fair bit more there now. Grandson also had a run in with a couple of Yellow Jackets this afternoon at my sister in laws place. 1 week for swelling to go down before school pictures. View attachment 755260 View attachment 755255 View attachment 755256 View attachment 755258
Nice looking pile you have there.
The help looks even better :rock:.
Looking back at those type of pictures is great!
Good you are getting the ash out before it's all mush. I split one round of ash today, dang bugs.

Back