Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insta scrounge!

Next Saturday our road association is doing a work day to cut brush from along the 3/4 mile roadway. I also recommend that we drop any dead trees that are threatening to fall on the road. The brush will be hauled off and I’ll take home any logs that aren’t punky. Since I’ll be running a saw, I’ll be choosing which trees come down ;)

Well , no skeeters here , just hot .
I got another load of not spruce added to the pile this afternoon .
2 tanks in the 241 for a trailer load .

oIB1P6p.jpg

QDDkF1m.jpg

Dropped it off at the undisclosed location after supper , the pile grows :)
rXy1vKC.jpg

It was a great day !

OExAmMA.jpg

Well , no skeeters here , just hot .
I got another load of not spruce added to the pile this afternoon .
2 tanks in the 241 for a trailer load .

oIB1P6p.jpg

QDDkF1m.jpg

Dropped it off at the undisclosed location after supper , the pile grows :)
rXy1vKC.jpg

It was a great day !

OExAmMA.jpg
Wow, that's beautiful.
That trailer really hold a lot of wood :surprised3::lol:.
Those little 241s sure do well on fuel.
Any idea how many tanks or hrs are on yours.

Cut and Stacked 3 wheel barrows of box elder in the wood shed even had to fire up the splitter for the last load. Doubt I'll get to any oak until the mosquitoes die out. Went to check on one spot in the woods yesterday n they won.
I just cleaned up an 8" cherry I took out at my place, once I had that mess all picked up I use my Japanese felling machine to push down a 10" box elder. I still remember loading my stove full of that stuff right after I got it, that was the hottest I think I've ever got it :crazy2:.
I only saw a few mosquitoes out all day yesterday, way different than the late spring early summer, it's been very nice out.

I have a lot of standing water here and it's raining. Slough is just north of the house (blue spot) and runs into a ditch in the field on the southwest end of the woods. Perfect mosquito habitat!
View attachment 755467
I have no idea where they come from here, but when they are here you know it, it's hard to get anything done. I was so glad I got a lot done this spring, way more than normal since I beat them out this yr :happybanana:.
We are within about a half mile of the river and have a creek that dumps into the river thats about 1/4 mile from the house, there are also plenty of wet spots between here and both of them. I'm not sure if the mosquitoes come from that far away or what, everyone said their coming from your gutters so I ripped them down, still here. I try to dump any water in any containers as soon as I see it and if I have something tarped I also make sure the water is off that. What's funny is I've never even seen a mosquito larva in any still water here o_O. In the winter I will have a few in the house that come off the wood, funny seeing them when it's 10 degrees out.

Trying to get most of the wood done before hunting season so went out Friday to get another load of lodge pole sense I didn’t know where anymore red fir was that was close to the road.2387631A-789E-428B-9B69-E1B573D05812.jpeg Still lots of dead standing stuff out there95CC0470-3981-47A5-9C97-898DAA9A2247.jpegThe ported dolly is little over kill for this stuff but kinda fun to make 2 or 3 second cuts:D5AC57317-BCAE-4AAF-BB8A-A74BB5A54737.jpegTakes longer to fill the trailer with the small stuff but much easier to handle. Even put a few pieces in the ole ford:surprised3:C51664CE-70AF-40F1-9F26-26F80DD9422B.jpeg Sure like the torque of the dolmar and I guess it’s the way the handles are but they don’t feel as heavy as what the scales say to me. Did use the 550 for most of the load though.
Saturday went over to moms to help her get started on filling the wood shed1715C8CF-B815-46E6-9471-4B34EF7AD24F.jpegTractor sure is a handy scrounge tool! Might have to barrow it:)

Trying to get most of the wood done before hunting season so went out Friday to get another load of lodge pole sense I didn’t know where anymore red fir was that was close to the road.View attachment 755483 Still lots of dead standing stuff out thereView attachment 755484The ported dolly is little over kill for this stuff but kinda fun to make 2 or 3 second cuts:DView attachment 755485Takes longer to fill the trailer with the small stuff but much easier to handle. Even put a few pieces in the ole ford:surprised3:View attachment 755486 Sure like the torque of the dolmar and I guess it’s the way the handles are but they don’t feel as heavy as what the scales say to me. Did use the 550 for most of the load though.
Saturday went over to moms to help her get started on filling the wood shedView attachment 755487Tractor sure is a handy scrounge tool! Might have to barrow it:)
Nice haul, and easy to work into splits.
Where did you get a wrap for the 550, never seen one.
It's interesting how heavy certain saws feel no matter what the weight is. I find the bar length and type(lightweight) can play a large roll in it as well. For guys wanting the lightest saw they can get I'm not sure why they don't run a lightweight bar in the longer lengths and a cheap laminate bar on the shorter ones, it make a nice difference. When I find myself getting tired I don't fill them up all the way either, I figure it will weigh a little less and I'll get a break sooner :).
That tractor is sweet, I bet it gets around in some tight spots.
I managed to get three buckets yesterday, that punky outside made for slow go. I cleaned up 5 buckets of "bonus material" from splitting the outside off, about 2/3 of a bucket I saved for the bonfire pile as it had a decent amount of wood on them and they were full length, most broke off about half way thru. The rest is still burning on the bonfire :blob2:.
Two of these, tank of fuel each.
Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 11.13.43 PM.png
Big bucket, one tank of fuel, I kept going since the splitter was still running lol.
I even made it to the woodshed without spilling any of it :clap:.
Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 11.12.05 PM.png

Nice haul, and easy to work into splits.
Where did you get a wrap for the 550, never seen one.
It's interesting how heavy certain saws feel no matter what the weight is. I find the bar length and type(lightweight) can play a large roll in it as well. For guys wanting the lightest saw they can get I'm not sure why they don't run a lightweight bar in the longer lengths and a cheap laminate bar on the shorter ones, it make a nice difference. When I find myself getting tired I don't fill them up all the way either, I figure it will weigh a little less and I'll get a break sooner :).
That tractor is sweet, I bet it gets around in some tight spots.
I managed to get three buckets yesterday, that punky outside made for slow go. I cleaned up 5 buckets of "bonus material" from splitting the outside off, about 2/3 of a bucket I saved for the bonfire pile as it had a decent amount of wood on them and they were full length, most broke off about half way thru. The rest is still burning on the bonfire :blob2:.
Two of these, tank of fuel each.
View attachment 755491
Big bucket, one tank of fuel, I kept going since the splitter was still running lol.
I even made it to the woodshed without spilling any of it :clap:.
View attachment 755490
Thanks Brett! That’s my 562 with the wrap, (can’t have too many saws;)) 550 was in the tool box, wish I could find wrap handle for it too. Living in town I try not to be too obnoxious playing with saws so when I go out to cut wood I usually take more than I need to play with.
Yeah I agree the light weight bars make a big difference, the tech light 28” husky bar feels so light and balances well even on the 562.
That’s pretty good load in your bucket! Looks good. You must be a smooth driver, I didn’t make it to the house without loosing a few splits.

Thanks Brett! That’s my 562 with the wrap, (can’t have too many saws;)) 550 was in the tool box, wish I could find wrap handle for it too. Living in town I try not to be too obnoxious playing with saws so when I go out to cut wood I usually take more than I need to play with.
Yeah I agree the light weight bars make a big difference, the tech light 28” husky bar feels so light and balances well even on the 562.
That’s pretty good load in your bucket! Looks good. You must be a smooth driver, I didn’t make it to the house without loosing a few splits.
Okay, that's what I was thinking with the top cover. I wonder if they make them.
The 562 always felt a bit heavy to me, I never minded making the jump to the 372 or a 7910, maybe I just needed to put on the 28" Oregon RW to get the balance right :D.
I think I do okay, the hydrostatic trans and taller tires does help and it's pretty smooth from the woodpile/splitting area to the woodshed, in the woods I don't think I would have made it far :laugh:.

I love good power to weight, and my 10 mm 044 was always good in that regard, but I think my 462 with 20" light bar has it beat!

My MMWS 261 Ver II (w/18" 3/8) and my CFB Hybrid with a 28" light bar are also power to weight standouts.

I also have some very strong 660s, but they are NOT light weights … good for milling though!

Wow, that's beautiful.
That trailer really hold a lot of wood :surprised3::lol:.
Those little 241s sure do well on fuel.
Any idea how many tanks or hrs are on yours.

I dunno how many hours but it's lots and many gallons Lol
I mix about 20 gallons per year , not all goes through the 241 but the bulk of it does .

I love good power to weight, and my 10 mm 044 was always good in that regard, but I think my 462 with 20" light bar has it beat!

My MMWS 261 Ver II (w/18" 3/8) and my CFB Hybrid with a 28" light bar are also power to weight standouts.

I also have some very strong 660s, but they are NOT light weights … good for milling though!
You forgot another good one, the 064, best for power to weight, I've never owned one... :).
The weight of those 462's still amazes me, maybe one day I'll get one of them and an o64 :).
I like the 372 for handling, my ported 440 just sits, I should get it out, it's been a while but it does run very well.

Back