Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my son's friends stayed with us for a semester and we walked a temporary room for him with Masonite. Today the wall came down and the Masonite cut into easy size pieces for disposal. It was no match for the Stihl Picco on the junkyard Homelite. While I was out I had to cut a few hunks off the pile for giggles. It always amazes me how hard you can lean on these little guys. If you never cut wood over 8-10", you could heat your house with one of these.
8cab9c683f28aa8f77df737728a7865a.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back when, about 1978, I did about 2 cord of black locust with that one's predecessor (XL or XL2). logs big enough I had to cut from both sides. that was when I was very short of money and all I had was dad's. The amazing part of them is how long they will cut before needing a sharpening job.

Finally caught up after lagging behind ten pages. Kiwi bro I too had a bad day last week, got a phone call while I was at work. The wife was working from home when she heard water, she comes to the front of the house only to discover my 1000 litre aquarium had split in one of the corners. She frantically ran in and out of the house with buckets. Ended up probably leaking 200 litres into the house which soaked into the downstairs room. Plaster board is soaked but I have a dehumidifier drying the room now. I had the tank for ten years and one month....... it had a ten year warranty. Apparently aquariums don’t last forever :(:mad:

My Brother has a 241 and loves it, and my 261 Ver II (MMWS) is one of my favorites … light and strong.

Since I don't climb, I don't need a top handle.
I find myself using my top handle a lot when I get into tops on the ground. Cut with one hand throw with the other. Saves a lot of time in the small stuff that's held off the ground.

I’m enjoying my small saws and debating getting more. I just haven’t seen any for sale recently. But I do have a friend who said he has “a bunch of saws” that he doesn’t use anymore that I should take a look at next time I’m over.

As mentioned previously there aren’t a lot of big trees up here. So unless you are cutting yard trees (like silver maple) or big pines you don’t need a monster saw. This year I think I’ve done around 20 cords of wood and I’ve only cut 5 trees over 20”. Two of them were dead aspen snags that were dropped for safety reasons and I just let lay in the woods. Then two big yard aspen and those Norway pine logs I was working on last weekend. The former were dropped with a Jonsered 70e and the latter with Homelite Super XL. Both had plenty of schnort for big softwood.

The one thing I do not like about larger "small" saws is the .325 chain.

I can find great deals on 3/8 LP and regular 3/8 chain. But everyone wants full retail for .325 chain unless it is some oddball DL count and I do not have a spinner/breaker.

Now that I said this I bet the next 5 saws I come across will have .325. LOL

I really like my masterminded 241. Does exactly what I need it to do for buggrall weight. I also really like my 460. And I also really like my 661. I didn't really like my 310 but I did really like selling it for more than it's worth :rock:.

My MS310 was my first new saw. Still have it, it still runs but it is old and tired. I do take it out once in awhile for old times sake. I didn't know they had any value now.

I find myself using my top handle a lot when I get into tops on the ground. Cut with one hand throw with the other. Saves a lot of time in the small stuff that's held off the ground.

It for ssure does make brushing out a tree faster. I loaned a buddy mine one day when we were out cutting. He showed up teh next day with one of his own. Hookeroon is also a must have that saves both time and energy. Loaned him mine once and he ordered one off teh internet the same day.

My MS310 was my first new saw. Still have it, it still runs but it is old and tired. I do take it out once in awhile for old times sake. I didn't know they had any value now.
I had a couple of 031's, they both needed work but there was enough good parts to combine the two to get a runner. Think I sold them for 60 bucks as a set. OTOH a 032 is worth close to triple that. Stihl's are weird like that. Nobody wants an 064 (a great saw) but people foam at the mouth for an 066/660.

The 310 was my first 'real' saw. Still have and won't ever sell it. Being abused by the local and husqvarna dealer, I thought screw local and screw husqvarna, and bought this 310 new from USA with the help of a good bugger on AS. It was an eye opener feeling the saw get stronger in those first dozen or so tanks of fuel. It's going to run a chainsaw winch once I get around to buying one.

Finally caught up after lagging behind ten pages. Kiwi bro I too had a bad day last week, got a phone call while I was at work. The wife was working from home when she heard water, she comes to the front of the house only to discover my 1000 litre aquarium had split in one of the corners. She frantically ran in and out of the house with buckets. Ended up probably leaking 200 litres into the house which soaked into the downstairs room. Plaster board is soaked but I have a dehumidifier drying the room now. I had the tank for ten years and one month....... it had a ten year warranty. Apparently aquariums don’t last forever :(:mad:
Yeap, that's gonna ruin both your days for sure! So many products seem to have a warranty timer on them that goes off just on the other side of the expiry. I think that's in Murphy's ten commandments. That's a fair bit of weight to be pointing in one part of the house with a room below it. Is it timber framed? If so, need to be a bit careful about pointing any significant loads, also how fast you dry it out, and don't re-load it while it's even slightly damp.

I love snappy little saws.

I’ve done 95 percent of my cutting this year with my Husky 142 and Poulan 4218. The 142 with gutted muffler/muffler mod cuts as well as most 50 cc saws. And you use so little fuel and bar oil cutting with little saws.
I did a lot of cutting with my first saw, the husky 142. I was so pleased to get my first real saw :), then I found out it was a poulan in an orange wrapper :nofunny:, it still cut a lot of wood :yes:.
I think there is a point where a larger saw will get better fuel economy cutting bigger wood with a bigger bar, but on smaller wood it's about the same or the smaller saws get better fuel economy.
I find the same to be true with mowing, you would burn a lot of gas in a rider trying to do what I can on my 60" Exmark :yes:.
Did this one today, wouldn't want to try it with a rider :laugh:. Look at the steps for level, I had my phone tipped slightly downhill.
The right tool for the job is what I prefer.
Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 5.44.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 5.44.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 5.43.45 PM.png

I think my 191t is same same as the 019t. I feel like there is a lot of unleashed power in mine. Haven't dicked with it at all but there's a lot of displacement it should run with my 011avt but it doesn't pull close.
011avt is 45cc old school saw that cuts on low rpms and grunt like other old school saws. For near 20 years an 011 was the only saw my FIL had. No one told us you couldn't heat a house with that little saw till I joined AS.

Chances are if it ever gets released in'21 the market will be flat at best and likely depressed and unable to swallow a high premium. Given it's ford, with their outright volumes of truck sales hopefully they'll have some economies of scale the others don't. Not saying it's true but I read somewhere the production costs of an ev are no more than conventional and with scale actually cheaper. Spreading the r&d costs over the volumes ford has might help too. We can but hope.
They've already sunk $500m into Rivian, an ev truck maker so I think we might actually see a prototype make it to market.
Just wanted to bring up this post about the Ford electric ute/pick-up. Their $500m investment in Rivian has been followed by another $350m investment in Rivian by another crowd, and, I'm not kidding - Amazon have announced they are ordering 100,000 e-vans from Rivian who will be making them exclusively for Amazon, not for retail sales. No doubt there are three zillion conditions to the order that Amazon can use to back out of ordering so many but it's a very interesting disclosure.

I believe new lithium and colbolt mines are opening up in many areas outside China.

Back