Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I bet it might... :numberone:

I have to agree I passed a Corvette yesterday on a 140 HP tune in the 97 7.3, my girlfriends father turned 81 yesterday so I gave him some excitement. Yet in truth the Corvette owner overtook me, slower section of road, however I smiled like the Cheshire Cat even if I wasn’t will to run twenty or thirty over in town to prove I’m the best.

Now with earlier quote of 400 HP being about the limit you can use I agree. Also the statement of overall performance but having a large diesel truck beat a smaller sports car off the line is a pure smile maker. I used to love sports cars but the more diesel drags and truck pull events I attend in person and see on YouTube the more I rather have a diesel performance truck. In fact I’m leaning away from my Ford roots and looking at Dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I bet it might... :numberone:
I rode in a 1062hp 3rd gen Cummins, that thing was one step short of ignorant! I was at just about 475hp with my 3rd gen, the difference between the two was night and day.

I've driven Trans Ams, Mustangs, hot muscle cars, even hot 4wd trucks...it's a different feel the way a diesel builds power.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have to agree I passed a Corvette yesterday on a 140 HP tune in the 97 7.3, my girlfriends father turned 81 yesterday so I gave him some excitement. Yet in truth the Corvette owner overtook me, slower section of road, however I smiled like the Cheshire Cat even if I wasn’t will to run twenty or thirty over in town to prove I’m the best.

Now with earlier quote of 400 HP being about the limit you can use I agree. Also the statement of overall performance but having a large diesel truck beat a smaller sports car off the line is a pure smile maker. I used to love sports cars but the more diesel drags and truck pull events I attend in person and see on YouTube the more I rather have a diesel performance truck. In fact I’m leaning away from my Ford roots and looking at Dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One thing about a turbo diesel is that wild builds are typical still streetable...

Got the motor running and took it for a test drive. Except for my aftermarket fuel line clip fitting that leaks (I’ll grab an OMC one this week) the motor runs great.

Sharpened up one chain on the SXL. It’s supposedly only 71 but feels about 80 with the humidity so I’m not cutting wood till later.

A43710CB-FF9A-424A-B59E-53053EF8241C.jpeg 63E44FD2-65C6-415B-8D90-3F79F4A6FED8.jpeg

If it can't stop and turn to match the go I'm not interested. The trans am in the pic I posted has C5 Z06 brakes all around and suspension to match. Runs 11.7 on street legal drag rubber and has embarrased porches and Corvette's at VIR. All around performance is more important to me then straight line speed.
Not interested even a little bit? ;) Yep, they ain't going to win any road course.

But I know it makes me smile when some smart ass in a "fast" car gets surprised by a big diesel - and I've never even driven one close to 1000hp.

Not interested even a little bit? ;) Yep, they ain't going to win any road course.

But I know it makes me smile when some smart ass in a "fast" car gets surprised by a big diesel - and I've never even driven one close to 1000hp.
My truck has the old reliable SLOW 7.3. Intake, exhaust, and a 100hp tune is still only gona get around 325 to the wheels. They just dont make power without alot of work. I cant afford to make anything fast at this point in my life but maybe some day.
I did ride in a 6.0 truck with a tune that my buddy knew would lift the heads eventually. It was quick and entertaining just not my thing.

I always liked to surprise people, double disc rattling, work truck looking, 3rd gear boosted launch...I was decent redlight to redlight, but I topped out at 98mph with 4.10s...

Mid-Atlantic Diesel had that 1062hp truck, Lloyd took me for a ride when I had the clutch replaced...it was neat with a twin turbo truck. But he was constantly finding the next weak link...you have to pay to play.

I always liked to surprise people, double disc rattling, work truck looking, 3rd gear boosted launch...I was decent redlight to redlight, but I topped out at 98mph with 4.10s...

Mid-Atlantic Diesel had that 1062hp truck, Lloyd took me for a ride when I had the clutch replaced...it was neat with a twin turbo truck. But he was constantly finding the next weak link...you have to pay to play.

Ordered one of my trucks with 4.10's also knowing it would get 37" tires and later wished I had ordered 3.55's. I was always looking for 7th gear. It's easy to add more power - not as easy to add more gears.

The boys running up close to 1000hp are spending real money on engine and drivetrain.

One of the first things my trans guy ask me is if I'd be doing any AWD boosted launches. I said no and his response was "good billet parts are expensive". Told home billet converter, fix the laggy slipping shifts that kill the factory trans, and I'll put another 6.0 trans cooler in to keep it happy. He just got done doing one for a 600hp Cummins cause apparently once you kill enough dodge trannies you put a built ford one in there and don't worry anymore.

One of the first things my trans guy ask me is if I'd be doing any AWD boosted launches. I said no and his response was "good billet parts are expensive". Told home billet converter, fix the laggy slipping shifts that kill the factory trans, and I'll put another 6.0 trans cooler in to keep it happy. He just got done doing one for a 600hp Cummins cause apparently once you kill enough dodge trannies you put a built ford one in there and don't worry anymore.
Kinda hard to kill a NV5600...not much stronger out there. Takes a lot more umph than I had before I had anything to worry about!

I didn't do it often, but it was fun!

I have always liked "sleeper" Mustangs, my 70 Boss 302 body had a 427 Ford Motor, and my current 06 GT came with 300 Hp, but now has 550.

Also, with the Steeda Suspension and 9.5" wheels (with Nitto Rubber) it corners like it is on rails. It is a nice all around car.

I have seen shocked looks on many other drivers faces (and a few have even stopped me to ask what the H*** I've got), and in the right speed range (60 - 120) I have even embarrassed a few crotch rockets! In that speed range, the extra HP matters.

I had some guy with a built Camaro stop me … He screamed "What the H*** do you have in that thing, I have almost 500 Hp, and you beat me"!!! I sent my brother an email stating "I guess that today almost 500 Hp wasn't quite enough"!!! Similar story with one of those high Hp Chargers … he had more Hp than me, but not more Hp / weight!

I have always liked "sleeper" Mustangs, my 70 Boss 302 body had a 427 Ford Motor, and my current 06 GT came with 300 Hp, but now has 550.

Also, with the Steeda Suspension and 9.5" wheels (with Nitto Rubber) it corners like it is on rails. It is a nice all around car.

I have seen shocked looks on many other drivers faces (and a few have even stopped me to ask what the H*** I've got), and in the right speed range (60 - 120) I have even embarrassed a few crotch rockets! In that speed range, the extra HP matters.

I had some guy with a built Camaro stop me … He screamed "What the H*** do you have in that thing, I have almost 500 Hp, and you beat me"!!! I sent my brother an email stating "I guess that today almost 500 Hp wasn't quite enough"!!! Similar story with one of those high Hp Chargers … he had more Hp than me, but not more Hp / weight!
It is also a driver thing...

I watched my buddy get his butt beat hard in his TA by an older Chevelle...he told me to "get in and drive that damn thing", I beat the Chevelle by three lengths.

Some people can have the car and the HP, but if they lack skill, they will never win.

Yup I hate those freaking things when it’s time to mow. I do the same thing, hilarious that you said that. :laugh:
I warn the kids that I'm mowing and tell them to pick anything up that they have in the yard. Last summer I was having a problem with my son leaving all sorts of things in the yard, I told him if I hit it I hit it, you've been warned. Well he had one of his climbing ropes out and I wasn't actually trying to hit it, it just sucked right up under the deck. By the time I hit the pro switch for the blades they cam to a very abrupt halt :surprised3:. I puller the mower up on the edge of the sidewalk and a little ramp that goes up to the porch and then went in and told my son. He was very upset that he lost a nice rope, but he was real bummed that he had to get it untangled from the blades and spindles, its rare he leaves a rope where I may hit it now lol. I find the lessons that cost us the most are the ones we are the slowest to forget :yes:.

I warn the kids that I'm mowing and tell them to pick anything up that they have in the yard. Last summer I was having a problem with my son leaving all sorts of things in the yard, I told him if I hit it I hit it, you've been warned. Well he had one of his climbing ropes out and I wasn't actually trying to hit it, it just sucked right up under the deck. By the time I hit the pro switch for the blades they cam to a very abrupt halt :surprised3:. I puller the mower up on the edge of the sidewalk and a little ramp that goes up to the porch and then went in and told my son. He was very upset that he lost a nice rope, but he was real bummed that he had to get it untangled from the blades and spindles, its rare he leaves a rope where I may hit it now lol. I find the lessons that cost us the most are the ones we are the slowest to forget :yes:.
I like the YouTube of the dad running over all of his kids video games with a rider.

A storm was rolling in shortly before dark so I figured I’d switch gears to working on saws.

Ended up sharpening 7 chains, dressing two bars, fixing two chain adjusters and scrounging a bolt to fix a third, diagnosing fuel line issues on a Jonsered 630 and Homelite XL12, and fixing spark on my 268 project.

Today kind of pissed me off due to an a hole neighbor so it was good to make a lot of progress on the fleet tonight.

Latest posts

Back