Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F1B720C0-C9B0-4503-99D9-D1CCC69E5973.jpeg 08308AE6-E52C-4359-ABB7-8AF407E8392C.jpeg Brought home 1 limb and 6 rounds last night from that oak that Wayne has helped me with. Got it all off the trailer this morning with the quad winch, got them noodled and stack. Best estimate is this wood won’t be burnt until 2023. Did get a bonus while noodling the last cut. Seemed really soft, didn’t really hurt any cutters. My guess wood be very old barb wire as deep as it was.

Word on the wire this morning is my niece in Vancouver just put her whole school on lockdown. On way to school a friend put something she didn't see in her bag and said he'd get it off her at lunchtime. Turned out to be a BB gun, which another kid alerted the teachers about. She's as cunning as a sewer rat so I'm not sure if I'd believe the ignorance defence but I had to laugh. I'm sure not funny for almost everyone involved though.

Word on the wire this morning is my niece in Vancouver just put her whole school on lockdown. On way to school a friend put something she didn't see in her bag and said he'd get it off her at lunchtime. Turned out to be a BB gun, which another kid alerted the teachers about. She's as cunning as a sewer rat so I'm not sure if I'd believe the ignorance defence but I had to laugh. I'm sure not funny for almost everyone involved though.
Happens a lot here. But most are ok with the added caution.

More upset about an 8th grade kid at a 5th grade math level forced to do 8th grade work. No child left behind is out of control. This kid should have been held back at 5th grade until he passed. Good idea gone terribly wrong.

Happens a lot here. But most are ok with the added caution.

More upset about an 8th grade kid at a 5th grade math level forced to do 8th grade work. No child left behind is out of control. This kid should have been held back at 5th grade until he passed. Good idea gone terribly wrong.
Makes for a nice soundbite/slogan but unless they are well resourced it's a hopeless situation that retards the learning of other students. That said, holding strugglers back does damage sometimes too - it can damage their connection to their social circles and that can actually put some kids even further behind.

In an ideal world the parents would get off their arses and stop using six thousand excuses like work commitments, lack of funds, etc, to help bring their kids back up to speed.

Bloody gorgeous. Although..... I'm unsure about the feet. A bit too utilitarian for me.
Ha. I agree on the feet. Still undecided but probably something like this size and shape. Enough clearance for vacuum cleaner but I don't think this design can handle much taller than about 4" feet.
IMG_20190925_201732.jpg

Well, this doesn't deserve a 5 picture post but when you're as chainsaw deprived as me, you have to take what you can get. We have a fair number of silver wattles (acacia mearnsii) on our property. They're a small hardwood, you'd be lucky to get one over 15'' diameter, most are maybe 8''-10''. Kermit wood @KiwiBro . They grow fast and die young. If you cut a live one down you end up with 40 suckering up from the root system. I don't mind them because they are a ready source of firepit wood and the clouds of small stuff make great kindling when they're standing dead. But they grow at all sorts of funny angles and when they die they can fall at any time. There was one near Cowgirl's horticultural compound that had a 30° lean that I thought should come down by design rather than by accident. It had another one that had the top broken off that had to go first.

25th Sep 1.jpg

Yes, it's a mess. The easiest thing to do would be to put a few cuts in the trunk, pile it up and torch it but I don't like to waste stuff that has a useful purpose so I broke up the small stuff for kindling both for us and to transport down to my brother and diced the trunks with the 241.

25th Sep 2.jpg

25th Sep 4.jpg

25th Sep 3.jpg

All done.

25th Sep 6.jpg

Dont feel bad. Havent touched a saw since early spring. Everything ready for this winter by May.

And I made what I promised would be my last outing for the year. Haven't put the saws away yet though. Started splitting off the stacks of about 18 cord of rounds today. Very poor progress, only two cart loads of rounds done manually and my old legs said ENOUGH!!. I guess it will be mostly splitter time instead of manual this winter.

Back