Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually if you smack the bottom outside edge of the hook they pop right out in 2-3 hits with the hammer. I love these things, have to find another set.
I wonder if you would find them in an Amish community? They may still forge them...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Actually if you smack the bottom outside edge of the hook they pop right out in 2-3 hits with the hammer. I love these things, have to find another set.
I actually remember those guys hitting the log alongside the hook, and the hook would just pop out of the log (they never hit the hook itself). It amazed me as a kid that they would stay in the log to be dragged out, but on hit on the log would dislodge them.

It was an old timer using them, carried a simple single bit axe to install/remove them...they were using them with an old (very rough) military half track.

Does anybody have an idea where I can find another set of these skidder hooks? I like these because pulling big rounds off the trailer and they roll over these it doesn’t hurt these, skidding tongs would be trashed. I actually think these are older than me.
View attachment 766096

My best answer is make them. Have a shop cut them out of AR400 or AR500 or they can cut it out of A36 and then send them out for heat treat to harden a bit.

Or T1

Or hardox plate

Or ....[emoji1787]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I just use fiberglass rods and a poly brush from inside, roof climbing isn't my specialty and my peak at the chimney is all of 35 feet to the asphalt...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
I drop a rope down the chimney and pull my poly brush through from the stove.
It doesn't seem to be necessary, but cleaning the top of the baffle is as ash will pile up on it. The cap on my chimney gets plugged with flat pieces that come off the chimney, if I see any back puffing it's time to clean it, real easy to do.

OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG

3120[emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]
9b2cd7904ada6181f564d98f7c0666d8.jpg

ac6b9d5cd8dc2dbb0a24b7bee678332c.plist

Congrats.
No tree is safe:crazy2:.

My best answer is make them. Have a shop cut them out of AR400 or AR500 or they can cut it out of A36 and then send them out for heat treat to harden a bit.

Or T1

Or hardox plate

Or ....[emoji1787]

I was actually thinking a handy guy could make a set...just need a grinder, a torch and some steel...could even start with a forged chain hook.

I drop a rope down the chimney and pull my poly brush through from the stove.
It doesn't seem to be necessary, but cleaning the top of the baffle is as ash will pile up on it. The cap on my chimney gets plugged with flat pieces that come off the chimney, if I see any back puffing it's time to clean it, real easy to do.
Mine did that until I cut the screen up a little...the screen was 3/8" mesh, I cut every other wire to make it 3/4". Mine would plug off every time it cooled and we refired. I initially removed the screen, but then had a bird get into the stove during the summer...

My baffle is removable, just rock it up out of the way. So for me up and out is easier than out and down.

I was actually thinking a handy guy could make a set...just need a grinder, a torch and some steel...could even start with a forged chain hook.

Yes sir,

Do an oil quench with the steel at the correct temp. Nice and hard but still not brittle

For some reason in my area locust is just barely more prevalent than a live ash.

Its funny how different the trees are just county’s apart. There are a lot of oak, maple, black locust, cherry in my areas.

Go one county north and there is a lot of pine in the mix

Its funny how different the trees are just county’s apart. There are a lot of oak, maple, black locust, cherry in my areas.

Go one county north and there is a lot of pine in the mix

This summer my wife and I went down to northern Kentucky to the Ark. I was blown away because I couldn’t tell you what half the trees I saw were.

Latest posts

Back