Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your talking to me, it was getting pretty dark, I tried multiple settings on my flip phone lol.
That's what I was thinking. I've just never seen the bark like that, I wasn't sure the leaves were from the same tree, but they were :yes:.

The leaves didn't have sharp edges like a red or silver. I have a bunch of different sugar maple rounds that have different bark. That was my guess.

Rats!

Guys my dads age and older used to go to the dump and shoot rats with 22’s.

I worked at the landfill for a couple of years and my first week I was the rat shooter. Occasionally you would get smolders down in the decomposing trash you would have to dig up and put out. Usually it was sheet rock. My job was to keep the rats from jumping into the equipment. I went through a case of 12 guage ammo in 2 days. Most of these rats had never seen light and they were born in the tunnels that ran through the underground trash. 6 legs, 1 eye, nose on the side of the head. They would get into a dozer and chew through a hydraulic line or belt like it was nothing. You'd go for an hour without one than hit a den and there would be 30 of them. Nasty as heck.

Trail maintenance today. My loop is 3.5 miles long although the first half mile is logging road so I have just under 3 miles to maintain.

Started around 11 and worked till 1 thrn grabbed lunch. I have the first third done just now. This is all rock outcropping with stunted pin oak. It’s amazing how grabby that oak brush is when I’m used to softwood. Had a few pieces swing back and whack my arms and neck and just about felt like a wasp sting.

The next leg goes down through crick bottom which is mostly third growth aspen. The last leg is a gravel ridge with lots of aspen, jack pine, and balsam. I know the last quarter mile before the road is the worst cause I’ve walked that part already. I may actually go back for a bigger saw to do that.

FD3EE341-9BA1-4DB6-BC1C-0E6C6BA60C4E.jpeg 80BECEBC-1C06-4D2D-8F1D-E0742142DF9A.jpeg F1B9077D-298A-4C50-8722-F7F694E0157C.jpeg

I got into some Apple chips today, smoked 2 King Mackerel, man are those things good smoked.

I'm still learning the art of smoking, but it is nice to have some apple wood to complement the local hickory and black cherry that I already have on hand!

Have you ever used mulberry for smokin? Supposed to be the cats meow. I'll give you some Saturday if not.

I've neither burned, processed, nor smoked with mulberry, so yeah, I'd be interested. Pretty sure I have one growing on my property, but it's in sad shape. The previous owners cropped the heck out of it and the branches started showings signs of growth retardation... do the branches ever grow out, then curl down on mulberry? I'm brewing the beer as I type this, didn't want to wait until so close, but I've been too busy. Going to use a crazy Norwegian yeast that will ferment the beer in about 2 days.

@Cowboy254 are you a rugby fan ? @KiwiBro you're next.
I believe that's what Ireland said before their unfortunate demise a few hours ago. But everyone here still remembers that game against the combined forces of France and Wayne Barnes (I can't recall his nationality) a few world cups ago, so we take nothing for granted these days. If we lose to any team I just hope we lose fair and square. But I have to say, the pommy rugby fans here are about the worst possible winners I've ever come across so it'll be a painful few years here if we face and can't beat, England. :)

Please go gentle on the Aussies. My predictions of SVG and Scott winning Bathurst came true last week with a first and second place for the Kiwis. But they did beat us in the netball...

I’ve got the biggest apple tree I’ve ever seen give to me to cut down and buck next week. There’s a restaurant in town that sells dinners of pulled pork, brisket and ribs so I figured I might try to pick up a couple extra bucks and sell some to him. Stopped this morning and talked to his wife, “ We don’t use wood to smoke our stuff.” Ok!!!!! Also had a guy contact me about 6 oak trees he had cut down, already limbed and the limbs burned, I can have all the trunks, he wants them out of the back yard. I can drive right up to them. PTL

Sooooo

What do they use.....[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Im scared [emoji51]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Sooooo

What do they use.....[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Im scared [emoji51]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Probably liquid smoke, very potent stuff, but is doesn't hold a candle to anything that is genuinely smoked over wood.

5971.jpg

I'm still learning the art of smoking, but it is nice to have some apple wood to complement the local hickory and black cherry that I already have on hand!

I've neither burned, processed, nor smoked with mulberry, so yeah, I'd be interested. Pretty sure I have one growing on my property, but it's in sad shape. The previous owners cropped the heck out of it and the branches started showings signs of growth retardation... do the branches ever grow out, then curl down on mulberry? I'm brewing the beer as I type this, didn't want to wait until so close, but I've been too busy. Going to use a crazy Norwegian yeast that will ferment the beer in about 2 days.
We'll fix ya up. I'm burning mulberry cookies in the shop stove from last year's GTG now. Has a good aroma.

We'll fix ya up. I'm burning mulberry cookies in the shop stove from last year's GTG now. Has a good aroma.

Burning already, eh? I have yet to fire up the stove.... still very comfortable inside and outside - but I'm ready!

Wife says "I'm cold" - but I'm outside sweating! Maybe I'll make a fire outside tonight ;)

Back