Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can mow a path thru knee high grass and deer will travel it before they go thru the taller stuff. Funny animals.
We've watched deer at full run hit our mowed paths and immediately turn to run the path. We've been funneling deer this way for years...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

After the tornado hit my 50 Acres and took down about 40% of my trees there were sections you just could not traverse, especially in the snow. Luckily, the guy next door was a logger, and I actually got some money out of him cleaning it up.

Logs were stacked over 8' high in lots of places, and you would just go up and down so frequently you gave up trying to go through it. Now, about 25 years later, it is all just new growth you can't see through. Really changed the property tremendously, and larger trees on the rest of the property were susceptible to future wind storms. We have not had enough of anything worth logging for 25 years. (they used to log it every 10 years)

I need to buy a lottery ticket. Went out to my new locust patch today, heard something occasionaly band in the bed. Figured it was just the ax or maul rolling abit on the corners. 4 hour working up some small saplings, left and back home hearing the same banging. 44 mile round trip. Crawled out and spotted my hookeroon still riding the top of the cab. Dunno how I didn't see it while cutting and loading plus having to get the farmer to tow start the truck to come home.

Went out on to get some downed tammys, saw this. Rotted stump tipped into a fir tree only way to go is to the right. I'm standing on a private easement and it will end up laying across the road. Tree is on my land so had to knock it down and clear the road before it came down on its own. Hard to see but the top runs up on the right side maybe past the top of the pic.
20191110_151502.jpg

Possibly 8” of snow starting tonight to the end of the day tomorrow. I guessing we might get 4-5 at best. We spent the day preparing for it all. Have about 1.5 weeks of wood set aside and kept out of the snow on the porch. Ready to go in the stove. Covered the top of the first wood pile iv been pulling from.

Did one last scrape through the trails with the back blade on the tractor to kill off new growth. Did some nice wild game poses and funny pictures for my buddies trail cameras in my woods[emoji23][emoji23]

Knocked the rakers down from the traditional.025” to .035” on the 24” full comp on my 385XP. (Wish it was a full skip) Then took her out again to cut down some pc’s (about 1/2 a face cord) that were a bit too long to go in the stove and did some maple and red oak noodling as well. .035” suits that saw much better. No more 4stroking in the wood all the time.

Tried out my new oil in the 385XP. Motul 800. Seemed to run great. No smoke at 38:1. The husky XP+ oil smoked to much for my liking and was causing to much carbon buildup on the piston and this unusual gunky sticky slimy crap on the exhaust pipe.

Found a new coin opp car wash in town that uses hot water in the do it yourself power was bays. Washed the mud off the truck form a few trips into the woods yesterday to get the maple.

Stove is currently full of cherry and black locust for the overnight burn. Off to bed in the next 30min.

Night fellas!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Uncle Mike, what you forgot to tell the fellas is, the logger cut a path through the thickest of that wind fall and the night before opening day Says to me “he kid, your stand is on the other side of the blow downs right? We’ll make sure your awake tomorrow morning at 7:05, a 7 pointer missing the brow time on the left side is gonna come right past your stand”. Sure as he said......

Uncle Mike, what you forgot to tell the fellas is, the logger cut a path through the thickest of that wind fall and the night before opening day Says to me “he kid, your stand is on the other side of the blow downs right? We’ll make sure your awake tomorrow morning at 7:05, a 7 pointer missing the brow time on the left side is gonna come right past your stand”. Sure as he said......
Why did he untie it lol.

For the Fallen
BY LAURENCE BINYON
With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

I was gone all day yesterday teaching a snowmobile license course for youngsters. I lit a fire in the morning and it should have been more than enough for the day but my wife decided to complain about being cold early afternoon. My almost 19 yr old son took it upon himself to light a fire but first decided to clean out the stove. Bless his heart but that dummy used a plastic bucket to shovel the coals into. I came home and saw it and then had to ask him if he was really that stupid. Thankfully it was only warm and not hot! I quickly dumped it into the metal bucket that I use and showed him the process. Then I noticed a piece of kindling that wasn't quite right so I asked him what he split. He said "you already have a bunch split in the garage under the BBQ". Uh huh. He used the apple I have split up for smoking. Aaaaarrrgh! In his defense, he is almost never home when I build a fire because of his job. Now I am going to hold a simple how to course for the stove to my wife who knows better and sons and daughter who don't.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

He didn't !!! :laughing:
How unsportsmanlike, we always untie them first:laughing:.
My buddy took another last night at his grandmothers, which is where I've done a good bit of work at. Just a little basket rack, his first one this yr was a smaller rack as well, with a huge body :surprised3:.
Hope you find an untied one this morning Steve :p.

How unsportsmanlike, we always untie them first:laughing:.
My buddy took another last night at his grandmothers, which is where I've done a good bit of work at. Just a little basket rack, his first one this yr was a smaller rack as well, with a huge body :surprised3:.
Hope you find an untied one this morning Steve :p.
Easier to to find if they are still tied.:omg: Called in a nice 8 to about 30 yards but he saw me first .:dumb2:

Back