Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Nate, S/B excellent venison!

I have taken deer with bow, cross bow, MZ and rifle, but never with a hand gun!

I don't like sitting still either, but it is often the most productive way to hunt. Also, some of my local spots are just not large enough to allow me to roam, so I have not choice.

I have found the stiller I can sit, the more deer I see, but hunting deer upstate in the woods is a lot tougher than hunting the deer down here that interact with humans all the time.

Congrats Nate, S/B excellent venison!

I have taken deer with bow, cross bow, MZ and rifle, but never with a hand gun!

I don't like sitting still either, but it is often the most productive way to hunt. Also, some of my local spots are just not large enough to allow me to roam, so I have not choice.

I have found the stiller I can sit, the more deer I see, but hunting deer upstate in the woods is a lot tougher than hunting the deer down here that interact with humans all the time.
Thanks Mike! Hope it’s good, he was pretty stinky! Lol. Never had a bad whitetail yet or any game animal actually. I’ve had that pistol sense I was about 16, always wanted to take a deer or elk with it. Taken a few grouse, prokypines, and squirrels but first deer.
It’s surprisingly accurate with 300gr bullets and the scope, if I have a good rest.
Kinda the same here, I’ve seen more deer sitting still than moving around. Especially in a tree stand.
Hope you guys are successful, sounds like a great time regardless! Always thought it would be fun to have a hunting cabin.
Mom had chimney sweep come yesterday and he started the “can’t burn pine” thing, said they won’t sell you a new stove if you burn pine. Been a year sense they cleaned her chimney, they got some stuff out but wasn’t that bad.

I almost shot a doe with my desert eagle once but ended up holding off. I did end up shooting a buck with rifle the next weekend.
What caliber?

They won’t sell you a new stove based on what wood you burn!!! Craziness!!!
Yeah, he said whoever he gets stoves from to sell (Kumo?) told him not to sell them to a customer that wanted to burn pine. Chimney sweep also said you can’t burn pine in the new energy efficient stoves. Said ponderosa pine is only good for camp fire, and to burn lodge pole “it burns much cleaner”. Lodge pole is a much denser mostly better wood but I’ve had more trouble with pipe not staying clean with that than P pine. Oh and that blaze king is the worst stove out there, for chimney fires. It was an interesting conversation, lol.

When we had the fire (structural, not chimney), the insurance company inspector looked my wood pile over...it was at least 50% pine, some cherry, a little maple, and a little sassafras. I was just new to the house (really wasnt burning a lot), was pulling firewood by the truckload from my Grandfather's place 250 miles away (when I got up that way), and I was only getting anything blown down. Wasn't really into "premium" burning stuff.

He went through a couple pieces in the pile and said "at least you know enough to burn seasoned wood." He could have cared less about the wood type or stove we had, he was looking for poor burning practices.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What caliber?

Yeah, he said whoever he gets stoves from to sell (Kumo?) told him not to sell them to a customer that wanted to burn pine. Chimney sweep also said you can’t burn pine in the new energy efficient stoves. Said ponderosa pine is only good for camp fire, and to burn lodge pole “it burns much cleaner”. Lodge pole is a much denser mostly better wood but I’ve had more trouble with pipe not staying clean with that than P pine. Oh and that blaze king is the worst stove out there, for chimney fires. It was an interesting conversation, lol.
44 mag with red dot scope. Was a cool gun, wish I still had it!

Still trying to scrounge some venison.

Went for a walk around our property and found boot prints that weren’t mine. Led to a couple of pine marten boxes. Tracks led out of the east side of the property. Guy walked right between two no trespassing signs to put them on our land.

I took the high route and placed the boxes on the property line right below the no trespassing sign.

It gets my goat when people blatantly trespass.

This ever happen to anyone? I was doing up a bunch of Stihl chains for a friend this morning and after sharpening them in the grinder, he likes to use them for a Ditch Witch I think, I went to file the rakers. Three of the 10 chains had around 6 rakers on each chain that were so hard the file just slid right over the raker. These were good Nicholson files, not Chi-Com junk. Tried 3 different files, 2 were new. Finally had to get out the Dremel and a grinding stone.

Three of the 10 chains had around 6 rakers on each chain that were so hard the file just slid right over the raker.
It is easy to "grinder harden" the depth gauges, just as it is the cutters. I used to have this problem, especially with bumper-tie strap, low-kickback chains.

I learned how to not to do this. But you can still grind through them with the grinder, even if not with a file.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/depth-gauges-on-a-grinder.200410/

Philbert

This ever happen to anyone? I was doing up a bunch of Stihl chains for a friend this morning and after sharpening them in the grinder, he likes to use them for a Ditch Witch I think, I went to file the rakers. Three of the 10 chains had around 6 rakers on each chain that were so hard the file just slid right over the raker. These were good Nicholson files, not Chi-Com junk. Tried 3 different files, 2 were new. Finally had to get out the Dremel and a grinding stone.
As @Philbert said they may have been hardened by someone taking them down with a grinder.
This was my first thought when seeing your post.
I've used a grinder for rakers for a while and have hardened a few myself, really messed me up when I tried to file them again. Now on chains that I have to remove a lot off the teeth and the raker also, I make multiple passes on both the cutters and the depth gauges to keep from hardening them.

As @Philbert said they may have been hardened by someone taking them down with a grinder.
This was my first thought when seeing your post.
I've used a grinder for rakers for a while and have hardened a few myself, really messed me up when I tried to file them again. Now on chains that I have to remove a lot off the teeth and the raker also, I make multiple passes on both the cutters and the depth gauges to keep from hardening them.
Keep them grinders away from chains!:laugh:
@James Miller brought one by last week someone butchered. Took a few swipes with the file but it should be good to go.

Back