Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got out again today to cut a bit more of the Peppermint tree I've been working on lately, I think I underestimated just how big it is at the root ball end, I can cut it from both sides that part isn't the problem its the size of the rounds I cut off it that have me a bit concerned as I'm not sure I'm upto splitting them they are that big! (they would be just over a 1mtr across by the looks of it, that's a lot of time on a hand log splitter and I just ain't physically up to that I can tell ya, so I think I will have to leave the main trunk where it is unless I can get someone who's more able bodied to help me, then I might have a bit of a crack at it then.

I can't wait for the new Hydrolic Log Splitter to get here I can tell ya, no way I'm splitting all that lot by hand (doable but to hard on me these days) so easier options have to be found.

cjWa0jYl.jpg

WIwjferl.jpg

p7O6zXBl.jpg

9EqSM4Yl.jpg

H66MwsFl.jpg

BiggFella, I really liked a short bar on the 241 for slicing and dicing the trunk before cutting the rings, so that once bucked the diced up sections of the rings just fell to the ground as it was being bucked. Easier to manually handle and split too. Bigger logs would get cut into 9 blocks with the end of the log looking like a game of noughts and crosses .

BiggFella, I really liked a short bar on the 241 for slicing and dicing the trunk before cutting the rings, so that once bucked the diced up sections of the rings just fell to the ground as it was being bucked. Easier to manually handle and split too. Bigger logs would get cut into 9 blocks with the end of the log looking like a game of noughts and crosses .

Like this?

29th Nov 3.jpg

The other problem being that great big rounds might weigh a few hundred kgs and if it rolls towards you once it is free you can have a problem. I got my hand pinned on the top handle once when cutting up this one until I did the pre-buck noodle thing - I was wearing gloves and just managed to weasel out of them after a bit but I was wondering what I was going to do for a minute or two because I certainly couldn't move the round. Good thing I was wearing gloves and got out of it without a mark on me.

Nice pics @bigfellascott . Looks dry up there.

20191117_071008.jpg My FIL decided this was good enough. He wants to see if it will will grow new stuff in spring. Pretty sure its cut back way to far to survive but it's his tree so this ones done for now.20191117_073819.jpg Quick touch up and ready to get back at it after breakfast. Ran the 355 for everything I did yesterday. Bobby ran his 490 some in the bigger stuff. Probably have to drag the 590 up for a few cuts today.

. . . I have seven batteries . . . , every single one has remarkably degraded at the same time to the point they don't hold anything like the charge they used to.
Batteries are 'magic' to me. I have no technical knowledge of how they really work.

I know that my iPhone sometimes gets very warm from use. Not always.

I try to follow the manufacturers' recommendations on how to treat them. But it may be possible, that in some applications, Li-Ion batteries are more 'consumable' than 'durable'.

Have you tried to reach out to Makita?

Philbert

Just scrounged this 2065 with an extra 28" bar for $175. Even runs and boasts the 48mm closed port cylinder. Almost in "you suck" territory for a change.

View attachment 773670
Great saws, especially for that price.
I prefer the side tensioner and add them on the 365's, can you just change out the cover and remove the front tensioner on those also.

View attachment 773669 The one in the back yard was just a little taller. This is not my happy place :nofunny:. Not really scared but an uncomfortable feeling is always there. When I'm cutting I dont notice it but when the lifts moving its there.
I ran a 100' boom for the sign company I worked for, when we put the bucket on it to lift the guys it was always a great time as they were relying on me to be smooth, which I was. But it was fun to let them go for a little ride, you'd drop about 10' with a nice bump to the lever, being that it was a round tube style stick it would bounce back up almost as much as it fell much like a ride at the local circus :laugh:. It sure was a good laugh from the truck, but it was a bit scary when you were in the bucket, gor the most part everyone only got it once because afyer that you expected it and the fun for the operator was over lol.
Just to be clear our guys never went up in the bucket without being harnessed, safety first :p.

Like this?

View attachment 773566

The other problem being that great big rounds might weigh a few hundred kgs and if it rolls towards you once it is free you can have a problem. I got my hand pinned on the top handle once when cutting up this one until I did the pre-buck noodle thing - I was wearing gloves and just managed to weasel out of them after a bit but I was wondering what I was going to do for a minute or two because I certainly couldn't move the round. Good thing I was wearing gloves and got out of it without a mark on me.

Nice pics @bigfellascott . Looks dry up there.

So like post ripping then? is that the sort of thing you've done there? (nice looking stick of wood by the way)

Back