Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the Rte 10 bridge crossing the Cannonsville Reservoir. The Reservoir wraps around the mountain and you can see it from both sides of my property.

My property is at 2,200 feet, the reservoir is about 1,000 feet. It gravity feeds through the Catskill Aqueduct almost 100 miles to NYC.

The Cannonsville is the last reservoir in the NYC system, and at the time it was completed (just after the turn of the century) it was the longest aqueduct in the word.

That is the Rte 10 bridge crossing the Cannonsville Reservoir. The Reservoir wraps around the mountain and you can see it from both sides of my property.

My property is at 2,200 feet, the reservoir is about 1,000 feet. It gravity feeds through the Catskill Aqueduct almost 100 miles to NYC.

The Cannonsville is the last reservoir in the NYC system, and at the time it was completed (just after the turn of the century) it was the longest aqueduct in the word.
That's really cool Mike.

About to turn in. Much of the state to the south of us have a lot of snow coupled with heavy winds. We have wind but not much snow so far. Fine by me.
The interesting thing is the you guys may be getting snow from Lake Michigan o_O.
We're under a winter weather advisory right now and until Monday early AM, they say up to 2" of snow and 2-4 tenths of an inch of ice along with winds gusting over 30mph:crazy2:.
We'll see, it's not forecasted to go below freezing until Monday around when the advisory is over.
It amazes me how these guys can't get the weather within 5 degrees of actual or tell you it's raining outside when it is, but they will predict a line of ice with incredible accuracy sometimes :dizzy:.
Be safe out there, and watch out for blowing weather forecasters:laughing:.

Take a look at some of the pics that Matt posted and then imagine trying to count "3 points on a side" of any Buck that is over 50 yards away … it is an impossible task!
Same problem here Mike. I do a lot of walking and when you bust a buck He's not standing around waiting for me to count points.

CORRECTION:

the Catskill Aqueduct services the reservoirs on the Eastern side of the Catskills, the Delaware Aqueduct (completed in 1945) services the Cannonsville Reservoir.

At 85 miles, it is the longest tunnel in the world (the Catskill Aqueduct is not all tunnel).

They both cross under the Hudson River, which boggles my mind, especially the Catskill Aqueduct, which was completed in the early 1900s.

CORRECTION:

the Catskill Aqueduct services the reservoirs on the Eastern side of the Catskills, the Delaware Aqueduct (completed in 1945) services the Cannonsville Reservoir.

At 85 miles, it is the longest tunnel in the world (the Catskill Aqueduct is not all tunnel).

They both cross under the Hudson River, which boggles my mind, especially the Catskill Aqueduct, which was completed in the early 1900s.
That’s incredible. I’d always thing that something would cave in somewhere along the way.

My wife made some Spruced hats

rYabIrV.jpg

Take a look at some of the pics that Matt posted and then imagine trying to count "3 points on a side" of any Buck that is over 50 yards away … it is an impossible task!
My daughter is a mentor hunter, so she was permitted to take any "buck"...like the old PA days. We saw four bucks yesterday, one may have been legal to current standard. I think that has discouraged a lot of new/younger hunters and that's why we don't see the rifle hunters anymore. If you made a new hunter abide by the current standards, they wouldn't be a deer hunter very long. My father and myself haven't shot a buck in probably five years, since they made these new restrictions.

I also think that's why everyone is chasing archery, they have better weather and times right during the rut...why should I stand in the cold during off-times? I personally don't agree with archery, but that is my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Time to hook up the plow (which was stored in garage all summer). Hope everything functions.

Hope it works for ya. I put the 66" snow blower on the tractor yesterday, I put the chains on the front about a month ago. First snow I'll use the loader just to make sure nothing in the driveway to break a shear pin.

We got a little ice this morning. Then some snow. Stove is going and other than occasionally putting a piece of wood in it, I'm not too energetic.
88fee08841245394cf791e79de531b33.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Love ice on the windows like that, hides the stuff outside im behind at.

Those are nice.
Does she have a knitting machine, does she run Husqvarna sewing machines :rock:.

She knits by hand and does dye some of her wool .
Tell those that knit to join Ravelry and look for the Alaska pattern so they can make some of them good looking Spruce hats :)

Back